PDA

View Full Version : Grounder Missle to Slow!

Storn
2012-10-25, 10:39 AM
I am a huge fan of the Grounder Missile Launcher. My outfit often sets up hunter teams in a nice approach vector doing airspace denial :D My complaint is that the missile is to slow. Aircraft (light attack craft) with afterburners on can outrun the missile. I agree that with some choice turns and flares the missile can/should be avoided but out running a missile... I don’t know about that!
My recommendation is to increase the flight speed of the missile to a more realistic level.
If the speed of the missile is increased then it may be that aircraft flares may need a decrease in the reactivation timer but that’s a different thread.

Just my thoughts... Let me just say again the joy I feel shooting down an aircraft. :lol:

Captain1nsaneo
2012-10-25, 11:08 AM
The problem is that if they don't change the speed when it locks on vs the speed when its dumbfired then you have an even better all around anti-tank/infantry weapon.

Storn
2012-10-25, 01:59 PM
Just a quick bump... please add your thoughts

I will not bump again ;)

Chewy
2012-10-25, 04:34 PM
Isn't the point of an afterburner to out run what's coming at you?

If missiles aren't working for you then change things up a bit with adding a skyguard or an AA MAX. A single MAX or skyguard may not be able to kill an aircraft but it's damned good at keeping the skies clear of fly boys. All you need to do is pepper them a bit and just about everything will turn and run for cover.

Having an entire group spec into just lock on weapons will meet their counter sooner than you think. You need to stay fluid and adapt to each fight.

Galron
2012-10-25, 08:59 PM
I agree that guided only missle speed probably needs a boost as I can solo most fighters in an AA max. If half your grounders were AA maxes you would take out anything that came by.

Tips:

Missles take time to lock on, time in which the pilot is warned that missle AA is out there. If you playing with a group of AA grounders, be sure you sync up when you try and lock on.
If you are a good AA max/Skyguarder, you dont spam your shells when the pilot is a speck on your screen, you wait for his dumbass to start getting greedy and slowing down/lining up on the tanks and infantry that you are covering before firing your flak.
Once firing, you know he will increase forward speed and probably try to juke. Lead your target and anticipate his moves based on his vehicle strengths and weaknesses.

Chewy
2012-10-25, 10:36 PM
In short, all lock on weapons need to have a draw back to them (damage, range, speed, ammo) on top of the general counters someone can cert into.

If you as a group choose to spec into a certain area you need to know that there will be a counter to that. Any group needs to spec out in as many ways as they can for that's group playstyle. It's like Rock, Paper, Scissors. If you pick just one then another will beat you.

Brusi
2012-10-26, 08:26 AM
I too...

Gugabalog
2012-10-26, 10:11 AM
A plane outrunning a missle is ridiculous outside of surveillance craft.

Storn
2012-10-26, 11:51 AM
I understand that there are draw backs to every weapon hence why aircraft get flares every 20 seconds and can out maneuver the missile; however, it is impossible for a aircraft to outrun a missile... Even with afterburners!

You couple flares, speed, maneuvering and terrain you create an unbalanced encounter in favor of an aircraft which you only have 3 to 4 seconds to target.