PDA

View Full Version : the certcost for a shotgun is to bloody high

Sir fraggington
2012-10-30, 06:12 PM
As a gamer, i find that the shotgun is one of the basic weapons people should have from the start.
having to unlock it is one problem, but it being outrageously expensive is not acceptable!

Is it not obvious that 480 certs for a basic weapon is robbery!

that is all.

Ghryphen
2012-10-30, 06:13 PM
They have to have incentives sell boosters somehow.

Whiteagle
2012-10-30, 06:13 PM
Indeed, the weapon Cert prices are all over the place...

Dagron
2012-10-30, 06:14 PM
The shotgun is pricey because every class can use it. Personally i think they exaggerated a little though.

Sir fraggington
2012-10-30, 06:23 PM
The shotgun is pricey because every class can use it. Personally i think they exaggerated a little though.

That is no excuse, the shotgun SHOULD be usable by every class!

edit:
so should the medic's assault rifle (exept for infiltrator)

Whiteagle
2012-10-30, 06:26 PM
Indeed, I also hate that they split up the certifications for Secondary weapon...

I liked being able to cert into a Basilisk and have that carry over to EVERY vehicle.

Captain1nsaneo
2012-10-30, 07:49 PM
You knew this was coming.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8676/tumblrmcm4wve2tv1rgnxr4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/tumblrmcm4wve2tv1rgnxr4.jpg/)

Sir fraggington
2012-10-30, 08:05 PM
You knew this was coming.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8676/tumblrmcm4wve2tv1rgnxr4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/tumblrmcm4wve2tv1rgnxr4.jpg/)

That is why i avoided using the word "damn".

Hamma
2012-10-31, 08:22 PM
Station cash!

Timealude
2012-10-31, 08:50 PM
Its actually still pretty powerful so i dont mind it being really high.

Dagron
2012-10-31, 09:08 PM
I don't think it being powerful is a good thing, to fit the sidegrade philosophy it should be less powerful and cost less.

Sifer2
2012-10-31, 09:43 PM
I don't think it being powerful is a good thing, to fit the sidegrade philosophy it should be less powerful and cost less.

Sidegrade doesn't mean less powerful. It just means powerful in a different way. In this case it is a sidegrade since you gain more power at close range but lose effectiveness farther out.

I also disagree that every class should have it. I definitely don't think Infiltrators should have it that's really lame. As for it being a freebie on character creation. Meh personally I understand why it isn't. The more juicy unlockable weapons they have the more incentive you have to either play more to earn the unlock or spend SC. It's not really P2W since the default rifles are well rounded, and powerful themselves. In fact probably too powerful at a distance really. Their lack of sway makes them easier to hit stuff with a scope than it is with the Sniper lol.

Dagron
2012-10-31, 09:52 PM
I definitely don't think Infiltrators should have it that's really lame.

That's the main reason why i think they're OP, removing it from the hands of cloakers is a nerf imo (one i welcome of course).

Ghost Runner
2012-11-01, 12:27 AM
But for the infil to carry a shotgun they give up range to do it! its a trade off, cloak and cqc is not that effective since they are not completely invisible.

Cosmical
2012-11-01, 01:32 AM
I kind of like it the way it is. It means that dieing to a shotgun is an event. Rather than a spam fest.

And dont forget the more expensive it is, the more powerful it can be. As soon as everyone starts having one, it could break the flow of the game. And once happens it gets nerfed, and then you spent real world money on nothing basically.

SKYeXile
2012-11-01, 03:35 AM
BUT I WANNA GET FREE KILLS NOWWWWWWW!

oh wait i have station cash.

Chewy
2012-11-01, 04:10 AM
But for the infil to carry a shotgun they give up range to do it! its a trade off, cloak and cqc is not that effective since they are not completely invisible.

A shotgun is a far better weapon in the hands of a infil that another troop. That cloak my not be 100% but it suits CQC better than ranged any day. I have seen how great a shotgun infil can be today and it needs a looking at. We (NC) where attacking the crown and this one bastard shotgun infil (VS) would get behind our lines and wipe out up to 5 people per try all thanks to the cloak alone. He was even able to take out a MAX (me) in a single mag of his shotgun , again, thanks to that cloak.

There's almost nothing you can do to fight a cloaked shotguner till after the damage is done. In a good fight it's easy for a MAX to get behind enemy lines thanks to the tunnel vision people get. A 3 man team can clear an entire back line of an attack before there's time to react, then just camp a sundy till ammo drys or backup comes.

The shotgun isn't OP, nor is the infil. Add them together and they just multiply with each other. Part of the skill in using a shotgun is getting close, being next to impossible to see removes that skill.

ringring
2012-11-01, 05:13 AM
Station cash!
Or Alpha Squad

McFeeble
2012-11-01, 05:51 AM
Aye seems a bit steep!

Whiteagle
2012-11-01, 09:14 AM
I kind of like it the way it is. It means that dieing to a shotgun is an event. Rather than a spam fest.

And dont forget the more expensive it is, the more powerful it can be. As soon as everyone starts having one, it could break the flow of the game. And once happens it gets nerfed, and then you spent real world money on nothing basically.
But now it's prohibitively expensive... while all those that bought it before still have it!

Further more, having it be so costly will make the game look Pay-to-win, since you'd need to grind for a few levels straight worth of Certification Points just to get it.

Chinchy
2012-11-01, 09:26 AM
But now it's prohibitively expensive... while all those that bought it before still have it!

Further more, having it be so costly will make the game look Pay-to-win, since you'd need to grind for a few levels straight worth of Certification Points just to get it.

took me 5 hours to get 412 certs, its not that long.

Stanis
2012-11-01, 10:12 AM
took me 5 hours to get 412 certs, its not that long.

Around 200 kills per hour or a bit less with capture/defence bonuses to achieve 20k/hr
I think that's quite a bit longer than the average player.

Call it 15hours of gameplay for a more average casual gamer. Which might be there whole weeks worth of playtime.

Tamas
2012-11-01, 10:56 AM
I just hope it doesn't have a crazy SC cost.....

+4$ for a gun is a bit of overkill.

Sir fraggington
2012-11-01, 08:40 PM
That's the main reason why i think they're OP, removing it from the hands of cloakers is a nerf imo (one i welcome of course).

the shotgun allows infiltrators have more of a "spy" playstyle instead of being an annoying, useless trollsniper.

Sir fraggington
2012-11-01, 08:43 PM
Or Alpha Squad

or lack of credit card (i am 17)

Chewy
2012-11-01, 09:39 PM
the shotgun allows infiltrators have more of a "spy" playstyle instead of being an annoying, useless trollsniper.

TF2 is not PS2. One is a fast paced kill everything/one deathmatch. The other is a fight for the very land under our feet. You can't compare them.

Even though they are both first person shooters, both games have their own sub-genre of FPS. It's almost like saying ARMA II is the same as playing Battlefield 3.

Sifer2
2012-11-01, 11:25 PM

Spy in TF2 doesn't have a shotgun unless they added one since I played it ages ago. You have to get behind the person an knife them. Can't just uncloak in their face an instagib them from 20 feet away. I know he had that Revolver but it wasn't that strong.

What they really need to do with Infiltrator is go back to the PS1 version which really did play more like the TF2 spy. You only had a Pistol but could be completely invisible when not moving. And were able to hack vehicles to take control of them an do other stuff like disable spawns. PS2 version is just a lame kill whore class.

Sir fraggington
2012-11-02, 04:53 AM
Spy in TF2 doesn't have a shotgun unless they added one since I played it ages ago. You have to get behind the person an knife them. Can't just uncloak in their face an instagib them from 20 feet away. I know he had that Revolver but it wasn't that strong.

What they really need to do with Infiltrator is go back to the PS1 version which really did play more like the TF2 spy. You only had a Pistol but could be completely invisible when not moving. And were able to hack vehicles to take control of them an do other stuff like disable spawns. PS2 version is just a lame kill whore class.

the revolver? not strong? i find spy revolvers (the ambassador in particular) to be ideal close quarter weapons.
i do agree however that the infiltrator should be more of a "covert ops" class,
as opposed to the useless, killwhoring, cater to cod **** class that is now.

Sir fraggington
2012-11-02, 04:56 AM
TF2 is not PS2. One is a fast paced kill everything/one deathmatch. The other is a fight for the very land under our feet. You can't compare them.

Even though they are both first person shooters, both games have their own sub-genre of FPS. It's almost like saying ARMA II is the same as playing Battlefield 3.

tf2 however does focus a lot on team play and do have classes that have up and downsides. the scale and artstyle may be different, but there are still similarities.

Chewy
2012-11-02, 02:37 PM
tf2 however does focus a lot on team play and do have classes that have up and downsides. the scale and artstyle may be different, but there are still similarities.

(This is going to be a bit off topic. But I need to type it)

Both games have classes that each have their own play styles, but I wouldn't call TF2 a team based game. It's a deathmatch game at heart, with maybe an objective tossed in depending on either map or mode to mix up the flow.

MvM is (in my opinion) the only real team based mode TF2 has because it forces you to play as a team or get overcome by the bots. Every other mode that Iv played (it has been some time) is more or less a team deathmatch with a side objective tossed in.

Yes, yes, I know that TF2 is made out to be a team game with red v blue and the likes. But playing and working as a team just isn't needed when there's instant gibs and no respawn timer to speak of. A team of Rambos are still a bunch of Rambos that happen to like alike.

Once more I say it's like calling ARMA II being like BF3. Both FPSes with vehicles and large maps. But, one is a deathmatch (arcade might be a better word) while the other is a sim. Both apples (a FPS) but different breeds all together with each having its own taste, texture, size, firmness, and feel.

In short-
Many games can be a FPS, but not all FPSes are the same game. If it was like that then Minecraft should be brought into this debate seeing how it is an FPS as well.

Sir fraggington
2012-11-02, 06:14 PM
(This is going to be a bit off topic. But I need to type it)

Both games have classes that each have their own play styles, but I wouldn't call TF2 a team based game. It's a deathmatch game at heart, with maybe an objective tossed in depending on either map or mode to mix up the flow.

MvM is (in my opinion) the only real team based mode TF2 has because it forces you to play as a team or get overcome by the bots. Every other mode that Iv played (it has been some time) is more or less a team deathmatch with a side objective tossed in.

Yes, yes, I know that TF2 is made out to be a team game with red v blue and the likes. But playing and working as a team just isn't needed when there's instant gibs and no respawn timer to speak of. A team of Rambos are still a bunch of Rambos that happen to like alike.

Once more I say it's like calling ARMA II being like BF3. Both FPSes with vehicles and large maps. But, one is a deathmatch (arcade might be a better word) while the other is a sim. Both apples (a FPS) but different breeds all together with each having its own taste, texture, size, firmness, and feel.

In short-
Many games can be a FPS, but not all FPSes are the same game. If it was like that then Minecraft should be brought into this debate seeing how it is an FPS as well.

i never said they were the same game, i said their where similarities between the two.

And by the way it was not me who brought up tf2, when i say "spy like playstyle" i mean someone that actually infiltrates and does covert stuff like sabotage. you can paint a picture with that, don't tell me you've never seen a James Bond film.

but we are getting of topic.

Let us continue our discussion about the dire need of cheaper shotguns.

Chewy
2012-11-02, 06:54 PM
i never said they were the same game, i said their where similarities between the two.

And by the way it was not me who brought up tf2, when i say "spy like playstyle" i mean someone that actually infiltrates and does covert stuff like sabotage. you can paint a picture with that, don't tell me you've never seen a James Bond film.

but we are getting of topic.

Let us continue our discussion about the dire need of cheaper shotguns.

There no need for a shotgun for an inf to be a Bond like sabotage expert. An inf is more than capable of doing that with starter gear. Iv seen it happen many times and it HURTS. Hacking a few turrets then taking them out (either by baiting a HA or using another turret) is a damned good strategy. A skilled player can ruin a bases defenses single handed with just a stock inf.

When you said ""spy" like playstyle" I would put up cash (if I had any to begin with) that you where taking about the TF2 spy because of a few things.
1- Your avatar
2- Using the term "spy" as a CQC focused troop
3- Wanting an instant kill weapon for a near invisible class
4- Thinking that a sniper is useless.

Maybe I made an ass out of myself by assuming, maybe I didn't and was right. I'll never know without reading your mind.

Either way I agree about getting back on topic.

480 certs for a weapon that you'll then need to cert into for bits and bobs is to much. 250 seems like a better number to me. Makes it easier to get but you'll still have to go without upgrades for some time in order to save up for it.

Sir fraggington
2012-11-03, 03:53 PM
480 certs for a weapon that you'll then need to cert into for bits and bobs is to much. 250 seems like a better number to me. Makes it easier to get but you'll still have to go without upgrades for some time in order to save up for it.

Yes, somewhere in between 200 and 300 would be fine, i do not really care about the upgrades, what moron would mount a scope on a shotgun anyway!:rofl: