PDA

View Full Version : The Water Cop Out.

Marinealver
2012-10-31, 09:51 PM
Well got a replied from one of the Devs about the water (or lack there of).

Turns out just Like Esamir is not the same one from Planetside 1 Amerish will suffer the same fate.
"AlenL, post: 511562, member: 12061"
We will have water on Amerish. It won't be deep lakes with underwater play, but it will help add a significant element to the environment which is missing from extremes like desert and arctic settings.
So basicly we will have shallow streems and puddles (like blood gulch in Halo) and no real lakes or bridges to fight over. My response to that is to simply Add the New Conglomerate Light Assault (the mascot of Planetside 2) to this comic.
http://img4.joyreactor.com/pics/post/funny-pictures-auto-games-comics-367224.jpeg

PhoenixDog
2012-10-31, 10:22 PM
I think they are referring to the fact that there's nothing so deep that you can fight underneath it. I'm just hoping there's enough to give mags their advantage back.

bullet
2012-10-31, 10:24 PM
I wonder what types of issues they're having with water and why they havn't put any in.

Crator
2012-10-31, 10:25 PM
I'm guessing they are still working on it. Looked kind of like lava with a water tint on it in the video.

bullet
2012-10-31, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing they are still working on it. Looked kind of like lava with a water tint on it in the video.

Speaking of lava, they better have this system figured out by the time they get to Searhus which is supposed to be released after Amerish, right?

Crator
2012-10-31, 10:45 PM
Not sure on that one bullet. Sorry.

maradine
2012-10-31, 10:51 PM
How did you get from no "deep lakes with underwater play" to "no lakes and bridges"? Am I missing some context here?

Marinealver
2012-10-31, 11:27 PM
How did you get from no "deep lakes with underwater play" to "no lakes and bridges"? Am I missing some context here?

bridges wer mainly used to cross water. but with that no longer being needed we are stuck with these clif bridge battle. and he said there are no lakes.

MAg well considering it is the flying tank and OP in the eyes of most PS2 players don't think it needs any more advantage otehr than the broken gameplay.

BeastBuster
2012-11-01, 12:23 AM
Amerish does have at least one bridge over water that kills you if you fall into it. Higby showed it on the preview.

RSphil
2012-11-01, 01:02 AM
they have always said water will be in when they are happy with it. im in no rush so let them work on it and get it how they want it.

Ruffdog
2012-11-01, 01:46 AM
Let conts 4,5 and 6 have water. They have enough shit to fix in front of this IMO.

ringring
2012-11-01, 05:15 AM
Not important right now.

DirtyBird
2012-11-01, 05:43 AM
Amerish does have at least one bridge over water that kills you if you fall into it. Higby showed it on the preview.

And I'm pretty sure water or not, the fall would have killed you.

Any expanse of water will favour the VS and their Magmowers, I don't think the devs are ready for that fight yet.

McFeeble
2012-11-01, 05:46 AM
No doubt will be sorted in due course, theres bigger problems to look at - Frames Per Second & player retention.

typhaon
2012-11-01, 06:07 AM
I think they are referring to the fact that there's nothing so deep that you can fight underneath it. I'm just hoping there's enough to give mags their advantage back.

Oh. Yeah. That's just what magriders need... MORE advantages.

Storn
2012-11-01, 06:48 AM
Typhon siad, "Oh. Yeah. That's just what magriders need... MORE advantages."

Agreed... they have to many advantages as it is now.

Frotang
2012-11-01, 07:11 AM
Pfft I didnt need a mag to cross water in PS1, my submarine Vanny worked just fine with those nifty nanite engines that dont hydro lock.

psijaka
2012-11-01, 08:39 AM

So being able to strafe sideways in and out of cover isn't enough? :rolleyes:

GLaDOS
2012-11-01, 08:52 AM
So being able to strafe sideways in and out of cover isn't enough? :rolleyes:

Well a Prowler or Vanguard can just sit behind the cover and shoot over... Mags are fine, though, I doubt the water on Amerish will make much of a difference.

MrBloodworth
2012-11-01, 09:50 AM
Water killing you instantly is retarded.

RSphil
2012-11-01, 01:11 PM

i didnt see insta kill from water. the only time i saw him die was after a 100 foot drop lol. water or not he was dead on that one.
im sure he ran through the little trickle that he showed us later. insta kill for a shallow drip would be retarded :doh:

MrBloodworth
2012-11-01, 01:25 PM
He said it would kill you.

Marinealver
2012-11-01, 08:04 PM

That just what I said. Heck even indar has that one lake that simply kills you. Take a look at the comic I put up. Just now add a NC Light Assault in there.

But yeah I can't really falt them for this. Many games do that where water is a kill hazard instead of the drown timer that Planetside (1) had. Heck HAL0 the Spartians which can survive a decent from orbit will drown in 3 ft of water.

Pfft I didnt need a mag to cross water in PS1, my submarine Vanny worked just fine with those nifty nanite engines that dont hydro lock.Yeah well you can't do that anymore. Sorry to give you the bad news.

Agreed, too bad we can't say that is the only retarded thing they are doing with Planetside 2.

Hamma
2012-11-01, 08:12 PM
Water is starting as something that is more cosmetic, knee/waste deep that doesn't present a major issue to mobility.

They will move towards implementing deeper water and the mechanics that go along with it later since the systems that are needed for that are not in place yet.

Next sky is falling thread please.

Jennyboo
2012-11-01, 08:16 PM
Water is starting as something that is more cosmetic, knee/waste deep that doesn't present a major issue to mobility.

They will move towards implementing deeper water and the mechanics that go along with it later since the systems that are needed for that are not in place yet.

Next sky is falling thread please.

Indeed Agreed Hamma.. Now waters in the game and people are complaining it's not deep enough :lol::rolleyes:

Marinealver
2012-11-01, 08:34 PM
Indeed Agreed Hamma.. Now waters in the game and people are complaining it's not deep enough :lol::rolleyes:

Not complaining that it is not deep enough, but another thing that was in Planetside (1) that is not making it into Planetside 2. I thought Planetside 2 was supposed to be the sucessor. Not looking that way.

Planetside 2 looks like it is all about cosmetics. Some things even make-up cannot make look pretty.

Jennyboo
2012-11-01, 08:41 PM
Not complaining that it is not deep enough, but another thing that was in Planetside (1) that is not making it into Planetside 2. I thought Planetside 2 was supposed to be the sucessor. Not looking that way.

Planetside 2 looks like it is all about cosmetics. Some things even make-up cannot make look pretty.

In Planetside 1 isn't a valid reason this isn't Planetside 1 :rolleyes:

IceyCold
2012-11-01, 08:55 PM

FUCKING THANK YOU!

I honestly believed for a second there that everyone who played PS1 was going to be going full retard.

I was not told that water was a Planetside 1 feature, maybe I jsut didn't read the box hard enough. Let me go look...

Nope, they seem to have left out "Amazing water that you can actually drown in!!! ZOMG" off the feature list.

I'm going to write Smedley a letter about this injustice.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-02, 01:22 PM
This thread alone makes me give +1 to Smedley saying haters gonna hate. Talk about scraping the barrel (or should it be bathtub).
Whats next? no ant runs in sanctuary?:rolleyes:

MrBloodworth
2012-11-02, 01:53 PM

It's in Planetside 1 is also not a Valid excuse not to use what worked in Planetside 1 and expand it.

Water in General was a pivotal part of the VS balance and mag rider mobility. I do not care about underwater adventures, or depth. But insta kill water that give no tactical advantage/disadvantage? Misses the point. The one area shown with water is impassable in any situation anyway ( Cliff banks ), so it also misses the point.

Its not like people asked for scuba gear and submarines ( Though I have seen that in suggestions, right next to space layer )

Also, to roll up all concerns as if we are talking about palsy on a kilt is...Disingenuous.

Its also directly related to why we have to play in a box, and canot go over the ocean but must stay in the grey lines like a battlefield map. For some reason, they feel its not valid to go out there to approach a target. They say its sacrificed on the altar of speed ( Concentrating players to land mass areas ), but that ALSO misses the point.

ITs as if this is no longer a war game, where Magrider and delivers and a Galaxy can approach from the sea, because like, well I just do not know. Those approaches would make to much sense tactically? Don't want people flying over the ocean Because they may get bored having not PEW PEWD in the last 30 seconds? or something.