PDA

View Full Version : The VS, the mag and territory control

Beerbeer
2012-11-03, 09:26 PM
I may get flamed for this, but I'm just making an observation for the server I'm on. So take it however you will.

The vs are able to lock down a ton of territory regardless of population.

If I had to guess why, it's the mag and how it's able to so easily project itself all over the map.

People may come back and say skill, yadda, yadda, I honestly don't believe that at this stage of the game. Or the nc are busy fighting the Tr, not from what I've seen by redeploying hopping across the continent and gauging the size of the major battles.

It could be an aberration, but it's been like this for a while.

SixShooter
2012-11-03, 10:26 PM
I've also seen the TR and NC take and hold large portions of the map, fairly often actually. I think it has more to do with better organization at whatever particular time. Good outfits make it happen on whatever server with any given faction.

bullet
2012-11-04, 01:08 AM
Playing on Thebe yesterday afternoon right before the patch went out the VS controlled a good amount of land, but this was because the NC were derping it up at the Crown. Usually whoever holds the Crown loses the most land because the zerg is just there wasting time.

Graywolves
2012-11-04, 01:40 AM
Seeing 50 magriders is annoying, especially when they easily strafe away from your rockets.

But I've noticed these massive armor pushes don't seem to last too-too long and I imagine it's a little bit annoying to opposition when we pull prowlers in mass.

As frustrating as fighting a Magrider is, I'm not too concerned right now in the overall scheme of things.

Chewy
2012-11-04, 03:13 AM
On the east coast server when I get to play the VS sadly tend to have the lowest pop numbers, but that never stops them from holding their fair share of land. Iv seen the VS at 25%-28% pop hold one hell of a line against both the TR and NC having low to mid 30s.

I don't know if it's their WG area in Indar being easy to defend or if I happen to be going against some good outfits, but sometimes the numbers just don't add up to me. They (from my playtime) are the ones outnumbered the most yet don't seem to have any problems defending anything or taking what they want. Must be that they are hard as FUCK to see at night and have to only vehicles that can dodge worth a damn.

Beerbeer
2012-11-04, 08:33 AM
The reason why I say this sits squarely with the synergy between vehicle camping and easy base takeover, coupled with the mag's easy and quick land navigation.

The first one lies with poor base design. The second is obvious. The results are apparent.

Bravix
2012-11-04, 08:53 AM
Didn't you hear? There was a silent nerf to our mags last patch. Strafe speed got shat on again.

Also, yes the Magrider has good land navigation. THAT'S OUR ADVANTAGE!!!

Others have the fastest tank or the best armor. We also have a fixed main gun thats low on the tank.

So let me throw out some counter-complaints. "OMG the TR and NC can use their turret to shoot over boulders while their body is protected by boulders. We lost a base too! IT MUST BE BECAUSE THEY CAN SHOOT OVER BOULDERS!!!!"

maoko
2012-11-04, 01:33 PM
Knowlingly donating invalid/bogus keys may get you permanently banned from PSU.

Fear The Amish
2012-11-04, 04:17 PM
On the east coast server when I get to play the VS sadly tend to have the lowest pop numbers, but that never stops them from holding their fair share of land. Iv seen the VS at 25%-28% pop hold one hell of a line against both the TR and NC having low to mid 30s.

I don't know if it's their WG area in Indar being easy to defend or if I happen to be going against some good outfits, but sometimes the numbers just don't add up to me. They (from my playtime) are the ones outnumbered the most yet don't seem to have any problems defending anything or taking what they want. Must be that they are hard as FUCK to see at night and have to only vehicles that can dodge worth a damn.

on East you have some strong VS Outfits that fight well completely out of proportion of their numbers. Including XoO and Band of Brothers below is a good example of what we do when we want to piss off the NC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k1y6tJ80wE&feature=player_embedded

also no Mag's used during this push just infantry and sundies.

Beerbeer
2012-11-04, 08:51 PM
The mag is wicked. I can see why it's so popular. This things eats infantry for breakfast and it's easy to dodge stuff and retreat when needed.

Jaybonaut
2012-11-04, 09:51 PM
If anything, this thread has proven how balanced it really is. I haven't been convinced the VS are OP at all. The NC have the strongest weapons in the game, and it seems to show more easily in 1v1, but if the VS can still hold its own, then that sounds either fairly balanced or that several VS outfits work in harmony better than their opponents.

Chewy
2012-11-04, 10:21 PM
on East you have some strong VS Outfits that fight well completely out of proportion of their numbers. Including XoO and Band of Brothers below is a good example of what we do when we want to piss off the NC.

"sniped video"

I call bullshit on the "no mags used" part. There may have been no mags at that one outpost but Id bet a nut that there was the normal armor train for the majority of that push. Odds are that group was probably already waiting at that outpost before it could have been taken. It takes a good long while for the a herd/zerg to even look at the map when that close to a WG (or holding the "easy as hell to defend" Crown). So it wasn't all that hard Id bet.

In any case great work on poking that beehive. Must have been one hell of a battle when the NC finally noticed. May not have been on that day to see it happen but it's easy to see how it happened. With the TR holding the Crown the old boys in NC couldn't help but spread themselves to thin by flooding over TRs land.

To be honest, with the map ever changing hands like it is (at least Indar) I just don't see how a faction can take one over without MASSIVE military grade outfits working as one. Maybe with more maps it can happen. But Iv never seen a faction conker anything unless the pop numbers where 20%+ over the others.

2coolforu
2012-11-06, 04:53 PM
The mag doesn't have weak armor though, last I saw it the armor on a magrider was above that of a Prowler. It's pretty tough and it's easy to keep the front armor pointed towards the target compared to other tanks (The game systems basically keep you facing 'the enemy'.

Combined with the fact it has the best secondary weapons by a laughably huge degree and the fact it can get up onto most hills/outlooks pretty easily and avoid getting bottlenecked make it very dangerous. Strafing also makes it hard to hit and the gun elevation isn't really a problem seeing as there are very few places you can really go hull down and being high up on the hills is a far bigger advantage than staying in the valleys, and one that the mag can exploit perfectly (High maneuverability, High range, fast projectiles, low drop, strafe, peek gun over edge of precipice etc).

All the other tanks seem to come off as lacking, Vanguards can't climb slopes to save their life, the Prowler has sucky secondary weapons and can't compete with the Mag's AT capability.

Also the game really needs sanctuaries, as in it is crippled without them. The fight gets stuck around 2-3 chokepoints and there's rarely a huge push unless one empire buggers off to farm The Crown, even then you push middle-of-nowhere undefended outposts for about 2 hours before the enemy zerg cottons on and takes them back in 15 minutes and you are way down to square one.

If Planetside 1 suffered 'A lack of a clear goal' this game is a fogstorm in the lower atmosphere of Jupiter at night.

Beerbeer
2012-11-06, 05:49 PM
One thing I'm starting to notice today is that there seems to be a lot more air power with rockets (obviously).

The affect on tanks is pretty pronounced. Consequently, the VS hold a lot less territory. Coincidence? Maybe I was right?

That and maybe every mag driver is flying around now.

Fear The Amish
2012-11-06, 06:02 PM
I call bullshit on the "no mags used" part. There may have been no mags at that one outpost but Id bet a nut that there was the normal armor train for the majority of that push. Odds are that group was probably already waiting at that outpost before it could have been taken. It takes a good long while for the a herd/zerg to even look at the map when that close to a WG (or holding the "easy as hell to defend" Crown). So it wasn't all that hard Id bet.

In any case great work on poking that beehive. Must have been one hell of a battle when the NC finally noticed. May not have been on that day to see it happen but it's easy to see how it happened. With the TR holding the Crown the old boys in NC couldn't help but spread themselves to thin by flooding over TRs land.

To be honest, with the map ever changing hands like it is (at least Indar) I just don't see how a faction can take one over without MASSIVE military grade outfits working as one. Maybe with more maps it can happen. But Iv never seen a faction conker anything unless the pop numbers where 20%+ over the others.

Mags were NOT used because those territories are in DEEP canyons or very difficult to reach with mags. Also when i lead outfit assaults which this was i do NOT use mags because i believe tanks are trumped by organized infantry with rocket launchers. You also might wanna look at the map see how the NC have a map bubble at the top. That is were the NC zerg was so this 2 outfits running a platoon a piece were just knocking over other outfits that were trying to defend. Our zerg was at the crown, This was just what happens when two outfits decide to tick the NC off. the best is when it happened the zerg tried to break out so we just sat on those massive cliffs and RAPED tanks with our rockets.

Rat
2012-11-07, 10:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k1y6tJ80wE&feature=player_embedded

I am willing to bet that half of the NC and TR populations were at the Crown