PDA

View Full Version : People abusing the net code

Beerbeer
2012-11-10, 07:11 PM
I'm starting to see this more, especially the past two days

I think some people have figured out how to make themselves warp on command by somehow abusing the net code. I have no idea how they do it, but I'm fairly certain that they are.

I know there's legitimate lag and subsequent warping, but I'm noticing people, who appear just fine to me for five minutes while I'm hiding behind a wall and box (observing them through a crack) or run up behind them and as soon as they see me, they strafe warp for a good second while firing back making it extremely difficult to hit them.

It's very noticeable and actually looks different from normal lag.

Anyone else experience this? Anything Sony can do about it if it is indeed true?

Goku
2012-11-10, 07:13 PM
Ugh. This is one aspect of PS1 I did not want to see come back :/.

AThreatToYou
2012-11-10, 07:29 PM
I've experienced this many times....

Erendil
2012-11-10, 08:58 PM
Yep, ADADA strafe warping is back. I've seen this many times in the last couple of weeks, and it's getting worse. I think it started around the time they last "tweaked" our strafing speed but I can't be sure.

It's pretty obvious people are doing this deliberately cuz like beerbeer said, they appear fine when they're in vehicles or running around doing their own thing until you actually engage them as infantry in a firefight. Once you do and they respond to your presence you'll see them teleport to one side or the other when they start strafing, sometimes up to 10 feet from their last position.

I sure hope the Devs are aware of this and working hard towards a solution because it's spreading and this could potentially be devastating to close-mid range firefights.

Chewy
2012-11-10, 09:29 PM
Im also going to agree to seeing this.

It's VERY odd to watch someone spaz out to the point of being impossible to hit until the moment they get cover. Then start spazing again right after a reload. At first thought it was lag, but not anymore after seeing it happen at a persons will.

Hamma
2012-11-10, 10:04 PM
I have seen this also and it is disappointing.

Fuse
2012-11-10, 10:16 PM
For those of you unsure what causes this behavior in games, it's a classic cheat that is pretty easy to pull off... If you've got no moral fiber. Artificial Lag @ Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating_in_online_games#Artificial_lag)

Beerbeer
2012-11-10, 10:20 PM
Hamma, can you delete this thread so more people don't abuse it.

Hamma
2012-11-10, 10:21 PM
It's not really a hack so I don't see a problem with raising the awareness of the issue. :)

Ango
2012-11-10, 10:22 PM
It's very unfortunate to see these things happen to such a great game, here is to hoping that SOE's security crack down takes the majority out.

Crator
2012-11-10, 10:29 PM
For those of you unsure what causes this behavior in games, it's a classic cheat that is pretty easy to pull off... If you've got no moral fiber. Artificial Lag @ Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating_in_online_games#Artificial_lag)

Interesting. Couldn't they just code the game to disconnect you if it happens too much in a certain span of time? That would at least reduce it right?

Jaybonaut
2012-11-10, 10:33 PM
Videos of aimbots on Youtube too.

Fuse
2012-11-10, 10:38 PM
Interesting. Couldn't they just code the game to disconnect you if it happens too much in a certain span of time? That would at least reduce it right?

I'm no programmer or IT guy, but I know a lot of servers for various shooters run mods that give you a warning when your ping goes over a certain point. After a set number of warnings you would be kicked and usually temp-banned.

I'd imagine the hard part is differentiating between legitimate lag and intentional lag. You can't just ban someone from PS2 for 12 hours because their roommate started watching a YouTube video, and that's all it takes to crush weaker connections.

EDIT: Sorry, but this reminds me, have we actually heard anything about anti-cheat recently? Needs to be in for launch, and needs to be properly tested before that (unless you want to just start banning paying customers like EA). Time is running out.

Crator
2012-11-10, 10:47 PM
I'd imagine the hard part is differentiating between legitimate lag and intentional lag. You can't just ban someone from PS2 for 12 hours because their roommate started watching a YouTube video, and that's all it takes to crush weaker connections.

I didn't mean ban them. Just disconnect them.

Fuse
2012-11-10, 10:53 PM
I didn't mean ban them. Just disconnect them.

Servers do that, too. Either way I think it's tricky. I'm fine with getting booted if my ping goes over 400 or something, I know it was my fault. Not all gamers are this knowledgeable or understanding, especially in a F2P.

Crator
2012-11-10, 11:01 PM
^ Agreed. All that is needed is a simple message as to why you were disconnected. What would be nice is if they made it so you loose control over your character with a pop-up message saying why. Then if it happens again and again disconnect them. But, IDK if it would work. Perhaps too much of an inconvenience for some people with bad connections? But do we really want to play with those people?

bpostal
2012-11-10, 11:19 PM
I've heard of a couple things that could cause this. The sliding warp I think is caused by the AD spam and the other is caused by ********* to *******.
Makes me sad.

Beerbeer
2012-11-10, 11:27 PM
It's not really a hack so I don't see a problem with raising the awareness of the issue. :)

It's a hack in my eyes.

Conq
2012-11-11, 12:03 AM
Don't know if it's intentional in every situation but it's getting worse day by day. I had to drop my AMC which I was very good at iron sighting for a Lynx because there is no way to beat these people other than hip spraying and praying. Even then, it really comes down to luck.

Talented Maori
2012-11-11, 12:18 AM
Seen this several times also, some people suck that much they need to cheat. Also seen the aimbot vids, and have to say........., lol @ them!!

Beerbeer
2012-11-11, 12:24 AM
I agree. I won't name names, but I will say this: it was on thebe, nc and indur during the day (today) when they had an almost 3 to 1 continental population advantage. Some of these people/clans are well known from ps1 and I'm sorry to say I lost all respect for said clan. Pathetic really.

What's even funnier is that I still killed them.

Renegadeknight
2012-11-11, 01:58 AM
well not surprised to see it. Seems to be in a lot of the FPS I've player. Why do people bother playing if they need to cheat.

PredatorFour
2012-11-11, 05:35 AM
Probably the same people that did it in the original. I remember some people (not naming names) showing me how to `lag strafe` between the walkway lines in a base in PS 1.

Crator
2012-11-11, 07:16 AM
well not surprised to see it. Seems to be in a lot of the FPS I've player. Why do people bother playing if they need to cheat.

To compete and get all the shinys fast. Here's the thing though. There are people out there that do this for a living. They build characters up in a game and then sell them to other people.

Dagron
2012-11-11, 08:37 AM
Does this happen only if you spam quickly or also when you zig zag to avoid getting shot as you charge towards the enemy facility? Because if it happens in the second case, it really should be solved in a way other than disconnecting people.

Ghoest9
2012-11-11, 09:00 AM
I think some of you are deluded.

It seems that you can get lag simply by staffing back and forth quickly?

Thats bad, but you cant say people are trying to cheat when it happens. Strafing with no lag at all is useful way to avoid being hit. Im not personally good at doing it, but I cant fault people simply for dancing around so I cant hit them easily.

As for the guy with the lag switch link - thats not the issue here. Lag switches are always bad and they have always worked o some degree - welcome to the fucking internet.

DawnDude
2012-11-11, 09:39 AM
i have seen this happen so many times! its almost impossible to shoot back at them and they can kill you easily , its getting really hard to deal with , once i got kill like that 5 times in a row and just quited the game...

Fuse
2012-11-11, 12:31 PM

Thats bad, but you cant say people are trying to cheat when it happens. Strafing with no lag at all is useful way to avoid being hit. Im not personally good at doing it, but I cant fault people simply for dancing around so I cant hit them easily.

As for the guy with the lag switch link - thats not the issue here. Lag switches are always bad and they have always worked o some degree - welcome to the fucking internet.

So you're saying there's nothing wrong?

J Baley
2012-11-11, 12:44 PM
It's really become bad in the last few weeks. I don't know what they plan on doing, if anything, but if it continues I can't see myself playing much. Higby did elude to a big surprise for cheaters with this patch so we'll see...

J Baley
2012-11-11, 12:48 PM

I've seen that too but this is worse. It looks different than just strafe lag.

Hamma
2012-11-11, 01:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's just as stupid.

Tatwi
2012-11-11, 02:06 PM
PS2 needs to be able to pick up when a player's lags spikes. Temp ban them the first time, temp ban them the second time, kick 'em the fuck out the third time.
Oh boy, that would be fantastic for folks like me who have four options for internet services, despite being in a city:

1. 802.11G commercial wireless (what I have).
2. HSPA+ "cell phone technology" wireless.
3. Dial up.
4. Nothing.

In times of poor weather and solar activity, wireless internet will lag for 20 to 30 seconds, drop entirely for 2 minutes to several hours, and then magically come back to life. It sure would be wonderful to be banned from my station account due to something entirely outside of my control.

Q: Move to a house with wired internet?
A: Are you retarded or just a closed minded basement dweller?

Q: Get the government to force the telco's to run wire?
A: Sorry kid, but the provincial and municipal governments have already paid millions of dollars to Barret Xplore, Bell Mobility, and Rogers Communications to build their wireless infrastructure.

Q: Didn't the CRTC mandate that "rural internet" must include traditional wired DSL and cable?
A: Yup and the telcos couldn't give a flying fuck about it. The CRTC did not specify where this wired internet must be nor what percentage of customers must be on wired internet, so the mandate is effectively pointless.

Q: WTH is your point?
A: Lag will happen to legitimate, rule abiding customers and there's no reason to punish them for it.

If I seem angry, it's because I am. 7 years of this BS (exorbitant prices for garbage service, because there simply aren't any other options - even though DSL service ends literally 500m down the road) wears on a person.

Take the time to program a way to catch the real cheaters or don't bother banning people at all.

Ghoest9
2012-11-11, 02:26 PM
So you're saying there's nothing wrong?

I guess you cant read.

In a nice way I said that some of you are idiots.

Obviously something is wrong with the game - but its seems like its due to poor coding causing warping from normal play rather than abuse.

Tatwi
2012-11-11, 02:33 PM
Lulz. :lol:

It is 2012 there is no reason for Devs to even take into consideration your
Typhoid Mary story. Cool story though. But you should be profiled with the
rest in order to keep the game intact for 99% of the player base.
I own all of the EQ2 and DCUO xpacs, but I rarely to virtually never play the games. I have over 10K Station Cash atm and I regularly piss it away buying things for my kids in FreeRealms. I have been a SOE customer since 2002 and a subscriber to at least one of their games for a good 6 years or more of that decade.

Nope, no reason at all for SOE to take into consideration that there are folks out there who don't have reliable, super fast internet connections. None what so ever. I sure can't think of any!

:rolleyes:

Ghoest9
2012-11-11, 02:34 PM

Well that example is crazy over the top I agree.

But much of the US has occasional 1 second or so hic ups in so called high speed connections. Much of the US is rural or semi-rural.
You cant start banning people because they have a have a one or 2 second lag spike every 5 minutes or so. You would lose much more than 1% of players. most people dont have that happen on a daily basis but many people have several days a month like that.

The only good way to fight lag switches is to actually observe if a player repeatedly has lag spikes at just the right moment during combat. It works but its man power intensive and expensive.

Rago
2012-11-11, 03:02 PM
Can confirm this for the EU Server, too,..:(

Fuse
2012-11-11, 03:09 PM

I live in Atlanta, GA. When I say "in" I mean IN Atlanta, not outside the perimeter in suburbia. My options at this address are:

AT&T DSL - Stable enough for gaming but only if there is literally no other traffic on the home network.
Clear "4G" Wireless: Depending on the time of day (traffic, Clear's throttling, wireless interference) I can get not horrible down-speeds (1Mb/s), but the connection is far too unstable for gaming, even at 4am.

In other words: I live near the center of one of the largest urban areas in the United States and I do not have access to fast and reliable internet.

Dagron
2012-11-11, 04:14 PM
I live near the center of one of the largest urban areas in the United States and I do not have access to fast and reliable internet.

^This. Nobody has access to really reliable internet anywhere, the real world isn't a perfectly spherical chicken in a vacuum.

This is one of the most elitist and unrealistic expectations of what the world should be vs. what it really is i've seen around here.

EVILoHOMER
2012-11-11, 04:20 PM
The servers need a 200 ping limit, any more than that and you should get kicked, I was so sick of laggers when I played. I'm from Europe and I don't even get 200 ping from the West US server so it shouldn't have any impact on people with 4 regions of servers.

TheBladeRoden
2012-11-12, 12:56 AM
You said you wanted more PS1 features in PS2, and the devs listened! :p

PredatorFour
2012-11-12, 02:23 AM
You said you wanted more PS1 features in PS2, and the devs listened! :p

Lol, the only feature they kept without changing it into something new;)

Grognard
2012-11-12, 02:54 AM
I used to just think there were some jacked up connections for some of these "poor people", until I read that Wiki link up there, and it took me all of 60 seconds to youtube a program that fucking VOICE ACTIVATES a time defined lag spiker...

SOB, this is colossal BS, cheaters can DIAF...

ziegler
2012-11-12, 10:25 AM
If I seem angry, it's because I am. 7 years of this BS (exorbitant prices for garbage service, because there simply aren't any other options - even though DSL service ends literally 500m down the road) wears on a person.

We dont want to hear your canuckistan hard luck stories. You live in paradise, deal with it.