PDA

View Full Version : Increase mine timers

Jaybonaut
2012-11-10, 10:43 PM
Mines need to last much longer to give them full effectiveness. I tend to think of them as pre-fight weapons or defensive weapons.

They vanish far too quickly - I think setting them to a half hour wouldn't be out of the question. I'm talking about both kinds of mines.

Crator
2012-11-10, 10:49 PM
Yes please. This would be nice.

Dagron
2012-11-10, 10:51 PM
Mines have timers? I didn't pay attention to that. How long are they currently?

Rivenshield
2012-11-10, 11:16 PM
Mines wear *out* in PS2? That's bullshit. In the old days they lasted until you logged or you planted one beyond your limit.

We also need to increase the number of anti-tank mines we can deploy. As in eight or ten. I haven't seen one single minefield yet. Not one. Great remedy for tank spam, and a TR specialty. Our mine fields used to blot out the sun -- er, the ground I mean. Now? The ground is bare.

/sniff

AThreatToYou
2012-11-10, 11:28 PM
They time-out? That's bad. In PS1 they pretty much stayed down until they blew.

ringring
2012-11-11, 04:18 AM
They should stay forever unless either destoyed, you log out or you change continent+maybe after 15 minutes (once the global metagame arrives).

Crator
2012-11-11, 07:23 AM
11/10 Patch notes (http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/update-notes-11-10-2012.43562/)! YAY!

Explosives and mines will now be persistent even when a class is changed.

Dagron
2012-11-11, 08:41 AM
11/10 Patch notes (http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/update-notes-11-10-2012.43562/)! YAY!

Explosives and mines will now be persistent even when a class is changed.

That doesn't necessarily mean they don't get a timer anymore (if they in fact did have one previously), it just means that if you switch classes they will stay there for as long as they used to stay.

That said, i didn't try out the tank mines, but as far as i could tell the anti-personnel mines didn't seem to have a timer (i could be wrong though).

Crator
2012-11-11, 08:59 AM
TBH, I don't know if the OP is correct about the timer thing. I hadn't used them in a long time so didn't know if perhaps they added on to them or something.

Babyfark McGeez
2012-11-11, 09:18 AM
Mines should be used more (and for that to happen be probably be more effective, and - if they aren't allready - permanent).
That way we could fortify bases more against tank zergs.

Jaybonaut
2012-11-11, 07:55 PM
Yeah it seems they last longer now and the note about switching classes might have been part of my perception on the topic.

Figment
2012-11-12, 04:06 AM
Mines should be used more (and for that to happen be probably be more effective, and - if they aren't allready - permanent).
That way we could fortify bases more against tank zergs.

Mines are a non-quality weapons and only useful in quantities. Dedicated engineers should be able to lay more than five, carrying a max of five is fine, but they should be able to lay some more (15-25). I don't quite understand why mines are currently designed as quality weapons (high individual damage), rather than low individual, but amply present. Mines are area denial and stalling weapons when applied en mass, they're not IEDs, which is basically how you have to use them now.

Btw, would be good to have indicators on both the map where yours are (and that you can destroy them as you desire using the map too) and on the HUD where it should say how many you can still deploy. (I wonder which other game did that before... :rolleyes: ;))

That said, this was a much needed change and I'm glad they received our feedback on the matter and acted to at least part of it so far. Hopefully it'll be fleshed out further. :)

evilsooty
2012-11-12, 04:30 AM
Mines are great. Even when laying the default three you are guaranteed a few kills when a tank zerg comes rushing through as very few people look out for them at the moment.

Crator
2012-11-12, 08:04 AM
Btw, would be good to have indicators on both the map where yours are (and that you can destroy them as you desire using the map too) and on the HUD where it should say how many you can still deploy. (I wonder which other game did that before... :rolleyes: ;))

I'd like to see one modification to that: Ability to drag-n-drop over multiple mines to select them and deconstruct them all. Also perhaps ability to click a button and decon all of them, without having to select them at all.

Dagron
2012-11-12, 08:46 AM
Mines are a non-quality weapons and only useful in quantities. Dedicated engineers should be able to lay more than five, carrying a max of five is fine, but they should be able to lay some more (15-25). I don't quite understand why mines are currently designed as quality weapons (high individual damage), rather than low individual, but amply present. Mines are area denial and stalling weapons when applied en mass, they're not IEDs, which is basically how you have to use them now.

Btw, would be good to have indicators on both the map where yours are (and that you can destroy them as you desire using the map too) and on the HUD where it should say how many you can still deploy.

I'd love it if that was the way mines were implemented, but there may be reasons we haven't thought of yet for them to decide to limit their numbers so much.
Something that comes to mind is that a small group of engis could lay down one decent mine field right now, but if each could lay down 20 weaker mines instead, you probably wouldn't be able to take one step anywhere in a defended base without something blowing up in your face... of course that because of the reduced damage you wouldn't die instantly, but it would still get old pretty fast.

Crator
2012-11-12, 08:59 AM
For any defensive or offensive measure there should be a counter. This was EMP nades/blast in PS1.

Jaybonaut
2012-11-12, 09:13 AM
Regarding low damage with high frequency: they are probably waiting on EMP grenades to go in that direction.

Also, Infiltrators can only carry two mines, which kinda stinks.