PDA

View Full Version : Error 1001 uninstalling ps2

Toonlad
2012-11-17, 02:22 AM
lol

After all the trials and tribulations of the beta play test, i want to submit one more bug report.. cant uninstall the normal way. hahahaha.

I bet this would really annoy the hell out of those haters who wanted to quit lmao.:p

Its been Emotional, Good luck to you all on the 20th Nov 2012. :love:

----- Note to Devs, Cant be doing with a named server like miller, thats the name of the Bastard who made me redundant 2 weeks ago.-----:evil:

Mechzz
2012-11-17, 02:33 AM
Hmm. Got the same error. Best way round this?

Rago
2012-11-17, 02:54 AM
How about

psfolder -> Shift+del ?

Registry mechanic or similar programm ?

RadarX
2012-11-17, 03:00 AM
I'm trying to get some clarification on this right now. It's definitely not just you. We'll let you guys know.

Mechzz
2012-11-17, 03:02 AM
I'm trying to get some clarification on this right now. It's definitely not just you. We'll let you guys know.

Thanks Radar!

And thanks for all the good work during the beta. Loved the patch notes!

Mod
2012-11-17, 03:36 AM
Yeah, got the same error as well...

Celebrinborn
2012-11-17, 04:29 AM
After the uninstaller failed I tried to remove the program manually by removing it from the system registry and then deleting its files.
I could not find any planetside entries in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\" or "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\". A search of the registry came up with 3 keys, however none of them appeared to be related to the actual install. (one referenced a video I had recorded, another referenced the installer file I downloaded, and the third referenced the actual planetside executable however the last few times I've had to manually uninstall a program, the relevant keys weren't in "HKEY_CLASSES+ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Shell\MuiCache". In the end, I didn't delete any files or modify any registry keys.

Note: I am not a registry expert. I have very little experience in using it because I generally just use an uninstaller to remove a program. If anyone with more experience can confirm my results, it would be helpful.
Note: system is a windows 7x64 with service pack 1 installed.

Lazaruz
2012-11-17, 05:06 AM
When official forums turn into a giant clock, you gotta be happy that PSU keeps rollin' on.

Waiting for more info on the uninstall... but nobody is going to yell at you guys, if you stumble upon a way to just patch the beta client at launch :)

RadarX
2012-11-17, 05:40 AM
Here are manual removal instructions. We'll have something to remove any registry entries for launch.

http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36735

Dagron
2012-11-17, 05:42 AM
Does that mean we can just wait for launch to uninstall it instead, if we don't want the hassle and don't mind waiting?

Spoof
2012-11-17, 05:42 AM
Would appreciate an official response on how to remove the beta cleanly, ready for launch.

Can't use the launchpad because it aborts at a network error. You can't use the uninstaller because of error 1001.

EDIT: instructions appeared while typing this. Thanks Radar :)

EDIT2: I take that back... those instructions do not fix anything when you can't uninstall due to error 1001

Mechzz
2012-11-17, 06:19 AM
Gotta laugh. I know the help is well-meant, but when people are posting "I get Error 1001 when I try to uninstall PS2" and the first line of the help document says "to fix this problem first click on uninstall/change" then how can we take it seriously?

Or am I missing something?

Better to wait until we can do a clean uninstall?

Sunrock
2012-11-17, 06:25 AM
Here are manual removal instructions. We'll have something to remove any registry entries for launch.

http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36735

That did not help at all. :cry:

WarRath
2012-11-17, 06:26 AM
Same problem here. Cant uninstall the game getting the 1001 error message.
Please provide a fix to this issue.

Mod
2012-11-17, 06:38 AM
Gotta laugh. I know the help is well-meant, but when people are posting "I get Error 1001 when I try to uninstall PS2" and the first line of the help document says "to fix this problem first click on uninstall/change" then how can we take it seriously?

Or am I missing something?

Better to wait until we can do a clean uninstall?

Yeah, I know they mean well, but unfortunately you get the sense that someone did all this running on very little sleep without thinking so they could get home as quickly as possible and sleep.

Looks like it's either going to be a matter of waiting until launch to uninstall or going through and manually deleting files and registry entries.

Piper
2012-11-17, 06:41 AM
I'm going to wait till they sort it out properly. Till it's a clean uninstall with all the registry stuff going as well.

FireStormNova
2012-11-17, 07:17 AM
I'm going to wait till they sort it out properly. Till it's a clean uninstall with all the registry stuff going as well.

=) I second this idea =)

Ghoest9
2012-11-17, 07:34 AM
Maybe it turns out that no one eve played beta will be able to PS2 unless they reformat

:D

Toonlad
2012-11-17, 07:43 AM
Maybe the fix will be bouncing the login server up, to get a little update, so we can do a clean uninstall.

Plenty of time i suppose.

Thanks in advance.

Alox
2012-11-17, 07:58 AM
What I did in windows vista x64:

Deleted the folder:
C:\Users\$USERNAME$\AppData\LocalLow\Sony Online Entertainment
(replace $USERNAME$ with the username you log in with)

Opened regedit.exe as administrator and searched for "planetside 2" and deleted all keys with the phrase in it. This removed it from the control panel uninstall etc.

Deleted the folder where I had installed the game.

Deleted all short cuts on desktop etc.

Then I started up my planetside 1 and saw that it still worked. ;-)

P.S. You can rename the folders instead of deleting them if you want to feel more safe. It is also possible to back up the registry before you modify it.

Evenguarde
2012-11-17, 08:01 AM
Having same issue with uninstall (error 1001), I really don't want/shouldn't have to manually take care of this. I'm not big on tinkering with registry keys either...

Beerbeer
2012-11-17, 08:05 AM
Isn't there an uninstall option in the launcher?

Or is this what people are talking about during their uninstall attempts. I haven't tried to uninstall it myself yet, but I'm going to see if the launcher still comes up and do it that way first, if it even makes a difference?

Evenguarde
2012-11-17, 08:06 AM
Launcher doesn't have a option to uninstall, just a link to customer support, minimize and close button...

Beerbeer
2012-11-17, 08:08 AM
I thought there was a little wrench button in the bottom left corner of the launcher?

Evenguarde
2012-11-17, 08:11 AM
Gone Sir, at least on my launcher, checked yours yet?

Alox
2012-11-17, 08:16 AM
I don't think it is really crucial to modify the registry. When you install planetside 2 next week it will be overwritten anyway. Most of the registry entries are just list of what programs you have run recently and search results and stuff - nothing important.

If you have the beta lingering in your control panel program list, follow this guide from microsoft to clean it out (see method 2):
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/how-to-manually-remove-items-from-the-addremove/5bfb21b8-b633-4354-9117-95ddd15a50dd?auth=1

Beerbeer
2012-11-17, 08:19 AM
Weird, my launcher is giving me a network connection error.

Evenguarde
2012-11-17, 08:21 AM
Thanks Alox, I'll have to bookmark that, just wish I didn't have to do it the hard way.

FireWater
2012-11-17, 09:46 AM
Eh I just deleted the game, all data, and edited the registry free of anything PS2 related.

Hopefully that works.

GokouZWAR
2012-11-17, 10:17 AM
Honestly I think they should just include an uninstall process in the new launcher if it finds a beta copy on the system instead of relying on people to do it properly, or in this case, several people manually doing it and missing something important and then later to find out they can't play now because they screwed up because they were too impatient to wait for a solution. Really guys, uninstall it Tuesday. There's no rush...it'll still be there.

Its probably due to the fact the beta servers are down. My bet is when they bring up the production server it'll pickup and let you uninstall then. Give them time to provide a solution before screwing your system up. Follow their instructions they posted above and don't forget steps 3 and 4 (even if you get the 1001 error code):

3) Next delete the PlanetSide 2 Beta file located here: C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games.

4) Finally, delete the file npsoeact.dll from this location: C:\Users\(Your Account)\AppData\LocalLow\Sony Online Entertainment.

Note that it does not say to do anything with the registry. He even posts:

We'll have something to remove any registry entries for launch.

You screw with the registry you'll just mess with the launch install process. Personally I'm gonna wait till tuesday in the hopes of a better solution than a manual uninstall process...but i'm not holding my breath. Also if the beta is still there, it'll reserve the hard drive space so I don't use it (as if i need to worry about that).

#Lern2FollowInstructions

Ghoest9
2012-11-17, 10:23 AM
My bet is when they bring up the production server it'll pickup and let you uninstall then. Give them time to provide a solution before screwing your system up. Follow their instructions they posted above and don't forget steps 3 and 4 (even if you get the 1001 error code):

This implies a level of forethought and responsibility that history has shown we should not attribute to SOE.

There is a reasonable probability that all the architecture to interact with the beta launcher is gone now and the live launcher has already been built but is incompatible.

Tatwi
2012-11-17, 11:48 AM
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Uninstall\

This is where I found the Planetside 2 Beta entry that needed to be deleted to remove it from the list of installed programs (in Windows 7 Home Premium 64, but should be the same for anything XP and beyond). I manually deleted the rest of the files.

Craftyatom
2012-11-17, 11:54 AM
Instructions work for Vista, thanks.

Minor
2012-11-17, 06:31 PM
Opened regedit.exe as administrator and searched for "planetside 2" and deleted all keys with the phrase in it. This removed it from the control panel uninstall etc.

I deleted the files in regedit which was good. I simply deleted the normal folder for the game and then in the uninstall screen they just gave me a choice to remove ps2 from the list.

As clean as it gets

RadarX
2012-11-17, 06:43 PM
This implies a level of forethought and responsibility that history has shown we should not attribute to SOE.

There is a reasonable probability that all the architecture to interact with the beta launcher is gone now and the live launcher has already been built but is incompatible.

Removing the directory takes care of almost everything related to PS2 (we had our engineers confirm it). The installer from launch will ensure nothing odd is left. Check IGA Catalogue (https://www.catalogueau.com/iga/) and ALDI Catalogue (https://www.catalogueau.com/aldi/).The last thing we want is folks not being able to play on Tuesday.

wOOtbEEr
2012-11-17, 07:14 PM
Sweet. Thanks for testing that.

Bags
2012-11-17, 07:17 PM
Still can't uninstall. same error

Rockstone
2012-11-17, 08:05 PM
At loss for words for what I should do...:(

Minor
2012-11-17, 08:08 PM
Just delete the game folder...you dont need to uninstall it.

In the control panel after you delete, you will get an option to remove from list.

Zar
2012-11-17, 08:56 PM
If you get the error get the beta installer again if you still have it hopefully you do if you boot it up it has an option to install fix or *Uninstall* and it works like a dream.

MaDGunner
2012-11-17, 11:01 PM
I had the PS2 beta installer. I used it to uninstall but i still got the error code 1001. So i started the installer again and just reinstalled/repaired it. After I opened the beta installer again I uninstalled and it worked like a charm. If you are wondering where your PS2 beta installer may be check your downloads folder, i hope this helps some of you. Just search downloads in the windows search box.

Beerbeer
2012-11-17, 11:09 PM
Lol, every time I see a Madname makes me smile as I was the first Madviking in ps1

Mechzz
2012-11-18, 12:12 AM
Removing the directory takes care of almost everything related to PS2 (we had our engineers confirm it). The installer from launch will ensure nothing odd is left. The last thing we want is folks not being able to play on Tuesday.

Thanks Radar. This is more reassuring. Hamma, did you put this in your "launch FAQ" sticky yet?

Dagron
2012-11-18, 01:25 AM
I had the PS2 beta installer. I used it to uninstall but i still got the error code 1001. So i started the installer again and just reinstalled/repaired it. After I opened the beta installer again I uninstalled and it worked like a charm.

This worked just fine for me, thanks. :)

Piper
2012-11-18, 05:24 AM
Removing the directory takes care of almost everything related to PS2 (we had our engineers confirm it). The installer from launch will ensure nothing odd is left. The last thing we want is folks not being able to play on Tuesday.

Right. I'll be doing that then and er....well.....hoping that's going to be the case on Tuesday. :p

Brusilov
2012-11-18, 05:32 AM
I just deleted the folder and desktop picto..

Redshift
2012-11-18, 06:46 AM
I had the PS2 beta installer. I used it to uninstall but i still got the error code 1001. So i started the installer again and just reinstalled/repaired it. After I opened the beta installer again I uninstalled and it worked like a charm. If you are wondering where your PS2 beta installer may be check your downloads folder, i hope this helps some of you. Just search downloads in the windows search box.

That worked perfectly, thanks

Akonion
2012-11-18, 03:01 PM
I was having the same issue. I got mine to uninstall by following the directions listed here in reverse; http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36735

However, the "Appdata" folder may not be visible to some. A shortcut for reaching that on Win 7 (possibly Win XP and 8) is typing "%appdata%" WITHOUT THE QUOTATIONS into the "run" box or that search bar on the start menu in Win 7. This will take you to Appdata/Roaming, Just simply go up a file to /Appdata and select Appdata/LocalLow (or whatever it is called) and delete the file they ask you to.

Besides the Appdata thing, the uninstall was a snap. The computer will also complain when you try to uninstall about missing or damaged files, just click yes to uninstall and it disappears off the list. Delete the icon on the desktop and you are done!

This worked for me and one of my viewers. I hope this also works for you guys as well.

PS. I made an account just to reply to this post lol

Sifer2
2012-11-18, 04:15 PM
Someone have a link to the beta installer so people without can repair this?

Cosmical
2012-11-18, 04:58 PM

worked for me too, thanks boss. xx

try this guys.

Mechzz
2012-11-18, 05:01 PM
worked for me too, thanks boss. xx

try this guys.

I no longer had the installer (thanks to Microsoft Windows Update borking my pc and forcing a clean install of Windows). I followed the advice to delete the game folder and manually remove some registry entries, seems to have worked OK. I'm also hoping Radar's promise that the launchday installer will clean up any old mess that's lying around.

kijuro
2012-11-19, 12:54 AM
Followed steps on official page linked by Radar X, then..
I went back to uninstall and it removed program from list.
The new installer will overwrite anything else that matters, because they will not screw it up on day 1.

Dagron
2012-11-19, 12:57 AM
they will not screw it up on day 1.

Not to be offensive to the devs or anything but... LOL! Everyone screws up on some level on day 1, nothing is ever perfect, specially at the beginning. But you're right, i'm sure they'll make it all right soon enough.

Cronoc
2012-11-19, 01:39 AM
Someone have a link to the beta installer so people without can repair this?

Seconded, does anyone have a working link to download the Planetside 2 beta installer? I deleted mine a long time ago...

Minor
2012-11-19, 01:53 AM
You don't need to do anything complicated guys, just delete the game folder and as per soe devs the new retail launcher will delete any old crud leftover from beta.

Zekko
2012-11-19, 12:54 PM

Worked perfectly, thank you! I registered to thank you, and to upload the beta installer for anyone who doesn't have it anymore:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/260djn

I got a connection error after selecting the reinstall/repair option, but it uninstalled fine anyway.

Now if only Planetside 2 didn't need a bazillion dollar supercomputer from space to run it smoothly I might reinstall at release...

Cronoc
2012-11-19, 02:17 PM
Worked perfectly, thank you! I registered to thank you, and to upload the beta installer for anyone who doesn't have it anymore:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/260djn

I got a connection error after selecting the reinstall/repair option, but it uninstalled fine anyway.

Now if only Planetside 2 didn't need a bazillion dollar supercomputer from space to run it smoothly I might reinstall at release...

Thanks for the link!

MaDGunner
2012-11-20, 12:55 PM
Worked perfectly, thank you! I registered to thank you, and to upload the beta installer for anyone who doesn't have it anymore

No problem, it wasn't without the help of my clan brother Jim beam. Just happy to help another PC gamer out.

MaDGunner
2012-11-20, 01:03 PM
Double post

Grimster
2012-11-20, 01:33 PM
Adding some additional info as I got the error to. Seems like at least in my case there were only 117MB left of the beta directory so I have manually deleted it. Can probably run some registry cleaner software on my own. :)