PDA

View Full Version : PlanetSide 2 Release FAQ

Hamma
2012-11-17, 10:57 AM
Hey All,

Lots of questions will be asked until Tuesday here are some of the big ones.

Q.) Launcher Download?

A.) Link! https://launch.soe.com/installer/PS2_setup.exe

Q.) Do I have to Re-Install?

A.) YES

Source:

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/269324674125660160

Uninstall Instructions:

http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36735

Q.) Can I pre-load?

A.) NO

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/269499522718261249

Q.) What are the server names for release?

A.) Higby posted them just before the OF went down:

Hey all - here are your launch PlanetSide 2 servers.

US West:
Connery
Genudine

US East:
Mattherson
Waterson

EU:
Woodman
Miller

Australia:
Briggs

Bags
2012-11-17, 12:23 PM
I dislike the server names.

Thanks for the FAQ.

nm you can't uninstall the beta

Tooterfish
2012-11-17, 12:27 PM
Yea keepm coming.

Kalee J
2012-11-17, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Hamma. Good information as always.

Mastachief
2012-11-17, 12:34 PM
If i buy a 6month membership sku will the 50% booster be in place for definite on day 1?

MacXXcaM
2012-11-17, 01:12 PM
Uninstall doesn't work for me.
There was a problem during the uninstall (1001)

Saraketh
2012-11-17, 01:41 PM
Same problem as MacXXcaM above, Error 1001

Derek Icelord
2012-11-17, 05:22 PM
Uninstall instructions from the SoE support Knowledge Base:

haticK
2012-11-17, 08:00 PM
If i buy a 6month membership sku will the 50% booster be in place for definite on day 1?

Yes.

Saraketh
2012-11-18, 05:20 AM
Uninstall instructions from the SoE support Knowledge Base:

I have tried this, But my problem comes at step 2, when after saying "Yes" to "Do you want to completely uninstall Planetside 2 Beta" it then says:

"There was a problem during the uninstall (1001)"

Hence I do not proceed with steps 3 and 4.

Fafnir
2012-11-18, 05:38 AM
Hamma, I suggest adding another question to the FAQ - How will the launch be different for EU?

It would be a good thing to make it clear, if we will have to convert our accounts, convert just our SC or do nothing at all. I heard that owners of SOE account will be able to freely access Pro7 servers and cash shop, but I've never seen official Smed post or tweet confirming this.

Jaybonaut
2012-11-18, 07:15 AM
Prep instructions

Tarconus
2012-11-18, 11:33 AM
What server is the new thebes?

Mirror
2012-11-18, 12:20 PM
The lack of a pre-loading option is about as good a decision as the release date.

Hamma
2012-11-18, 12:22 PM
Yea lack of a pre-load is pretty disappointing.

Mirror
2012-11-18, 03:05 PM
Yea lack of a pre-load is pretty disappointing.

There must be a reason behind it because how difficult is it really to give us the files minus the .exe, good to see that the strange decisions are still happening.

It would be a win-win for both us and SOE.

Rolfski
2012-11-18, 03:48 PM
Maybe they are not giving us the files because of last minute changes to the game. Anyway, this FAQ is not correct and should be changed, SOE uninstall directions are NOT working.

Schalla
2012-11-18, 07:08 PM
Whoah, no preloading.. That's really sad.

The client is big as hell and my iNet isn't that quick, so...

ThGlump
2012-11-18, 07:38 PM
No preloading has one benefit. People cant hammer gaming servers when they open, DDOSing it, making insane queues etc. This load is going to their website/download server, that hopefully can hold it, and game servers will be kept stable.

Question: How its with wersions for PS2? Will there be different clients for US/EU. Does it matter from which website we download it (if Pro7 will have EU site). If so which client should ppl with combined accounts download (EU with SOE account)

Jaybonaut
2012-11-18, 07:56 PM
Maybe they are not giving us the files because of last minute changes to the game. Anyway, this FAQ is not correct and should be changed, SOE uninstall directions are NOT working.

It isn't for some. The rest of us are having zero issues.

Tickley
2012-11-18, 08:17 PM
People having trouble uninstalling with the error 1001. This worked for me, open ps2 beta as normal if you were about to start playing, you'll get a message saying unable to connect or whatever, once you have done that then retry the uninstall through the control panel as above. Not saying this is 100% gonna work but it did it for me

Chaff
2012-11-19, 02:38 PM

If Control Panel keeps being an uninstall problem - go directly to whatever drive you installed Beta on. I successfully cleared it all out that route....

BTW - as per earlier Question - WHAT new W-Coast Server best = Thebe ?

Also. Does your Char follow you from Server to Server like it did on PS1 ? If one server is swamped, we'll have to be bi-serverual.

kennykjc
2012-11-19, 09:19 PM

If Control Panel keeps being an uninstall problem - go directly to whatever drive you installed Beta on. I successfully cleared it all out that route....

As in just manually removing the folder? I keep hearing that as a solution to the uninstall errors but it just sounds like a terrible idea to me. I'm guessing it will create a bunch of problems when trying to install the game.

Not a good omen to have errors before you even start downloading the game :(

Davelantor
2012-11-19, 11:38 PM
I see Paypal is not an option for PS2 membership, for some paypal is preference, but for others its a necessity (regional banking policies). Will paypal going to be implemented ? ... or will we simply be left out.

Same thing had happened with Alpha squad, i dont see why it wasnt added.

Splatt
2012-11-20, 01:20 AM
They could have also done the launching at Midnight in a staggered way...Start allowing Down loads at midnight in each time zone. Midnight on east coast... then midnight central... then midnight PST

Sadias
2012-11-20, 04:20 AM
Do we know the size of the install files at launch?

Mirror
2012-11-20, 05:17 AM
the final size of the beta was 9/10gb so probably around that.

Timujingeo
2012-11-20, 06:22 AM
I'm guessing one of the reasons (amongst many) for not allowing a pre-load is to limit the time hackers have to adapt their aim-bots etc. before the game releases.

This game will stand or fall on how well the hackers are managed.

Imij
2012-11-20, 06:39 AM
I'm guessing one of the reasons (amongst many) for not allowing a pre-load is to limit the time hackers have to adapt their aim-bots etc. before the game releases.

This game will stand or fall on how well the hackers are managed.

I'm going to go ahead and say that's not even on their list at this point. Delaying hackers by a few hours is definitely not a reason that they aren't allowing preloading. Hackers will hack, and they'll either be dealt with or they won't. A few hours, or even days, isn't going to change that.

I have to agree with everyone else that not allowing the core of the game to download a few hours ahead of time, with maybe a patch at release time, is a poor decision. At the very least download all the texture files. I'm not sure how that was so difficult. Then again I'm not a dev.

I feel bad for the guys with 100kbs download that might get to play the game before Thanksgiving.

Purple
2012-11-20, 08:41 AM
There must be a reason behind it because how difficult is it really to give us the files minus the .exe, good to see that the strange decisions are still happening.

It would be a win-win for both us and SOE.

the reason for no pre downloads is that up until launch bug fixes are going in. so you wouldent be downloading the final product.

Mirror
2012-11-20, 09:41 AM
the reason for no pre downloads is that up until launch bug fixes are going in. so you wouldent be downloading the final product.

With the patcher and the way it works we could've all downloaded the majority of the game by now and that way at launch a far fewer amount of files would have been required perhaps a few hundered mb instead of 10gb.

I have thought about it a bit and what makes most sense for a lack of pre-loading is because they are not ready and are rushing to finish everything.

Tooterfish
2012-11-20, 09:54 AM
Could they be stress-testing the server?

Stadulator
2012-11-20, 10:02 AM
How about the fact that none of you, not a one, has any idea why there is no pre loading. Theorizing in a negative manner does nothing for anyone.

Chill out, you'll get to play.

And for the people having issues uninstalling, if the method oulined by SOE doesn't work just manually remove them. SOE's method worked for me and a majority of my outfit, so if you continue to have issues, you might look at your end of things.

Hamma
2012-11-20, 02:17 PM
Updated OP with Launcher DL Link:

https://launch.soe.com/installer/PS2_setup.exe

ThGlump
2012-11-20, 04:27 PM
If you are using Pro7 account you need to download http://launch.soe.com/installer/PS2_PSG_setup.exe

ISSMT
2012-12-11, 01:12 AM
Lots of questions will be asked until Tuesday here are some of the big ones.