PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is the countdown clock wrong?

Bear
2012-11-19, 02:05 PM
Shouldn't it be at 22 hours and change now?

I thought I read 10am PST?

JoeDragon
2012-11-19, 02:08 PM
Looks right to me.

AThreatToYou
2012-11-19, 02:09 PM
It's p much 22 hours now. so its right.

Bear
2012-11-19, 02:10 PM
It says 23:50 on my screen!

Tharrak
2012-11-19, 02:11 PM
That timer is OP and could need a good beating with the nerfbat at any rate...

---

AThreatToYou
2012-11-19, 02:14 PM
My calculations end it right up at 10 AM PST; 1 PM EST.

about 3 PM now, 12 to 3 AM, 7 to 10 AM, and 3 to 1 PM. 12, 7, 3, = 22.

Bear
2012-11-19, 02:17 PM
nm, screen was up in the background and the tab hadn't refreshed. It's right now.

Zanzazzin
2012-11-19, 02:31 PM
Are we going to be able to start installing PS2 at Midnight tonight or anytime before 1PM EST tomorrow?

JoeDragon
2012-11-19, 02:33 PM
Are we going to be able to start installing PS2 at Midnight tonight or anytime before 1PM EST tomorrow?

They've said no preloading, unfortunately.

Zanzazzin
2012-11-19, 02:34 PM
Ok, so no reason to stay up late tonight to start the Download I guess =/

JoeDragon
2012-11-19, 02:38 PM
I'm staying up, just so I can wake up about 2 hours before Launch. Gonna go for 18 hours of uninterrupted play!

I'm betting they decided no pre-loads because they will be making little changes right up to release.

Eyeklops
2012-11-19, 03:20 PM
That timer is OP....

I agree. I think adding "official forums" would balance it.

Littleman
2012-11-19, 03:37 PM
They've said no preloading, unfortunately.

They're in for a miserable Thanksgiving. I don't care how much experience or well prepared a publisher is with their release day servers, the $#!% always hits the fan somewhere.

thegreekboy
2012-11-19, 04:51 PM
I'm sorry, but what the hell is the reasoning for opening downloads at 10 AM? Better Idea. You release as midnight, and as the day goes by, more and more people start downloading the game until it peaks at around 5PM.

Seems like they get a better server load (more people waking up to download it, and steady downloads throughout the day) rather than FORCING everyone to download it when they get home from work.

What the hell is SOE's logic?

ericbsmith
2012-11-19, 06:44 PM
What the hell is SOE's logic?They had a LOT of stuff to fix even at the end of Beta; hell they only just got some of the cash shop stuff working near the end, and they were still adding UI element (like the Flying vehicle controls tab). The longer they wait the more time they have to squash bugs. I bet we'll all be treated to a 2GB+ download on Wednesday to fix some of the bugs that exist in Tuesdays install. If they did a pre-download we'd probably need a 2GB+ download just to start the game at launch time.

Hamma
2012-11-19, 07:19 PM
I'm sure they have good reasons for doing what they are doing. They are trying hard to get this right and get a solid build out there for everyone.

Crator
2012-11-19, 07:22 PM
I'm just waiting for the timer to run out and it to say "Soon" as a placeholder after... ;)

Witchkrapht
2012-11-19, 07:23 PM
Had considered calling in sick to work tomorrow....but I already know it's going to be crazy.

Fear The Amish
2012-11-19, 07:38 PM
Had considered calling in sick to work tomorrow....but I already know it's going to be crazy.

thought of same thing but a few of my co-workers play with me so i would get busted pretty quickly:cry:

Witchkrapht
2012-11-19, 07:44 PM
thought of same thing but a few of my co-workers play with me so i would get busted pretty quickly:cry:

haha! I used to work with some guys that I played Age of Conan with....and they always knew when my guild would wipe on raid night because I'd call in sick Thursday. I always got called out on that!

TanknSpank
2012-11-19, 10:37 PM
I'm sorry, but what the hell is the reasoning for opening downloads at 10 AM? Better Idea. You release as midnight, and as the day goes by, more and more people start downloading the game until it peaks at around 5PM.

Isn't the 10AM PST launch the same worldwide? So no matter what they'll hit prime-time and off-peak regions somewhere. I imagine the choice of time has something to do with having their largest staff present a couple hours before go time without having to call them in in the middle of the night (when they'll probably have to work some crazy OT fixing issues the first week).

Roidster
2012-11-19, 11:05 PM
so can we download the new client yet??or do we have to wait till 10 am tomorrow

Bloodroot
2012-11-19, 11:20 PM
Need to wait till tomorrow :/ noone is happy bout it!

Minor
2012-11-20, 01:26 AM
I figured Smedley and Higby were force by the entire soe staff to let them sleep for once in 2 years. They agreed under duress to leave them alone for 4 days.

Oddly enough, Vlad the impaler comes to mind as the developer team sharpen 2 large tree trunks into 2 fine pointed gradual spikes.

Also 4 days to prepare an industrial quantity of tacos, nachos, and chili cheese dogs is not a lot.

I'm tired, bomb you in the morning! :D

Realmofdarkness
2012-11-20, 03:25 AM
the time is good for us in europe. The game launch is at 7pm for me :)
enough time to go home from work, make dinner and eat and then prepere for the... loong download

Sunrock
2012-11-20, 04:00 AM

Seems like they get a better server load (more people waking up to download it, and steady downloads throughout the day) rather than FORCING everyone to download it when they get home from work.

What the hell is SOE's logic?

Maybe because SOE is on the west coast and they don't want to go in to work at 1 am?

Morsong
2012-11-20, 07:39 AM
anyone else going to be there the last 5 seconds of the countdown? I wonder if it'll do anything special when it hits 0 before it lets us d/l and open the site up. Probably not though. :)

RadarX
2012-11-20, 07:41 AM
I'm just waiting for the timer to run out and it to say "Soon" as a placeholder after... ;)

I suggested if necessary we use "Bazinga!" but apparently it's copyrighted.

Folks have been in all night working on last minute things. Launch day is always tricky but the game is still on track for launch.

NoDachi
2012-11-20, 07:57 AM
Translated: High probability of delays.

But I'm fine with that, I would have been surprised if it was otherwise.

RSphil
2012-11-20, 08:08 AM
where will we be able to download it from? im assuming from the planetside page when the timer hits 0?
would have been nice for Alpha squad or sub members to pre load. its going to be a slow download with the mass of people waiting

NoDachi
2012-11-20, 08:10 AM
where will we be able to download it from? im assuming from the planetside page when the timer hits 0?
would have been nice for Alpha squad or sub members to pre load. its going to be a slow download with the mass of people waiting

Considering they're still working on it until release it is impossible to preload.

As for the overloaded downloads apparently they're using CDNs all over the place so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ever notice how even during peak beta download times you still got your average top download speed?

Marinealver
2012-11-20, 08:11 AM

lol wouldn't that be the Irony.

Marinealver
2012-11-20, 08:14 AM
Translated: High probability of delays.

But I'm fine with that, I would have been surprised if it was otherwise.

Yeah, IMHO launch is too soon but we will see. 3 hours and some change until download, give about a couple of days to a week for the metacritic score, and we will see if SOE in their infinite wisdom picked the best time for launch.