PDA

View Full Version : Intel planning to solder CPU to mobos for desktops

Bags
2012-11-28, 06:18 PM
http://www.zdnet.com/intel-preparing-to-put-an-end-to-user-replaceable-cpus-7000008024/

Thoughts?

Edit: I also heard that Win8 is trying to restrict high end games too, are we going to see PCs as locked down as consoles?

RykerStruvian
2012-11-28, 07:47 PM
This might be a bit of a saving grace for AMD. At least as a modder, being able to have variety and choice concerning my motherboard and CPU is what will make switch from Intel to AMD if they will entirely cut their LGA line. As for Win8, I don't think necessarily games are going to go the way of the console for PCs as much as it is that PCs are going to go to the way of the portable device. With that said, I really doubt it is much of a worry as this might get more people to try open source operating systems of the Linux variety. It might even, possibly, push developers of major games to start developing for that platform.

In terms of games I suppose it really matters as to what is in store for next generation consoles. If they can truly rival the performance of PCs...Well, it'll be interesting to say the least.

Geist
2012-11-28, 08:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jVzU8.gif

Guess I'll have to start using AMD...

Rbstr
2012-11-28, 11:49 PM
AMD is in all kinds of trouble and may be cutting the normal desktop line...so it's not going to help them much in the kind of parts we care about.
Personally I don't use more than one CPU per motherboard so functionally there's not terribly much difference. I've never been in a situation where upgrading within the same socket was really that cost effective.
Besides the money aspect there are performance reasons for wanting to solder rather than use a socket. Contacts based on touch really aren't all that great.

But in the end: The desktop PC isn't the important market segment these days. Things are going mobile and ARM. Things are becoming "apps" instead of applications...though I don't have a good distinction, I'm sure you know what I mean.

What in the world do you mean by "trying to restrict high end games?"

Bags
2012-11-29, 12:43 AM
AMD is in all kinds of trouble and may be cutting the normal desktop line...so it's not going to help them much in the kind of parts we care about.
Personally I don't use more than one CPU per motherboard so functionally there's not terribly much difference. I've never been in a situation where upgrading within the same socket was really that cost effective.
Besides the money aspect there are performance reasons for wanting to solder rather than use a socket. Contacts based on touch really aren't all that great.

But in the end: The desktop PC isn't the important market segment these days. Things are going mobile and ARM. Things are becoming "apps" instead of applications...though I don't have a good distinction, I'm sure you know what I mean.

What in the world do you mean by "trying to restrict high end games?"

Total biscuit said that they couldn't sell them on windows 8 or something.

MrSmegz
2012-11-29, 01:05 AM
Save Gaben with your Linux Powered, OpenGL 4.0 purpose built gaming box. Give us Game pads and Keyboards, and a motion sensor camera for those who want to dance around in front of their TV to pretend their gaming.

Ailos
2012-11-29, 02:01 AM
I quite agree with this. Intel's been pretty bad about long-term platform support, they've been rolling out new sockets every other generation, and new chipsets with every generation. Practically, that means all Intel hardware is a single-generation deal - by the time you need to upgrade, the hardware that fits into your socket is "vintage" and commands a premium. So I don't see how this would make any difference, other than actually making your upgrades cheaper.

Vancha
2012-11-29, 06:19 AM
This bloody story again.

It's probably going to be no big deal. AMD won't have much problem coming up with a few desktop chips to appease the enthusiasts if it's an issue (another thing that's been overblown. Reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated), but as it is, it'll probably just mean we buy our 3570ks pre-attached. I've also heard enthusiast chips may remain LGA.

Rbstr
2012-11-29, 09:09 AM
AMD has done some pretty serious layoffs in engineering. They're behind by about 1.5 process improvements.

Total biscuit said that they couldn't sell them on windows 8 or something.

Well that's an untruth. Fundamentally, what has changed about installing a game on win8 compared to win7?
Nothing at all. Download it with Steam, put a disk in the tray, it all works as it has. So I don't understand the doomsaying. too me it seems like "Everything works like it did before, the sky is falling."

Ailos
2012-11-30, 06:22 PM
Well that's an untruth. Fundamentally, what has changed about installing a game on win8 compared to win7?
Nothing at all. Download it with Steam, put a disk in the tray, it all works as it has. So I don't understand the doomsaying. too me it seems like "Everything works like it did before, the sky is falling."

The sky is ALWAYS falling. Or are we falling into the sky? O_

MrSmegz
2012-12-01, 08:02 PM
I don't really see this happening unless two conditions can be met.

1) Motherboard failure rates can be reduced to the levels of CPU failure rates.

OR

2) CPU's cost to manufacture are reduced to Motherboard cost levels.

Putting a $300 i5 on a $100 ASrock board that is probably over 5x likely to fail doesn't really make good financial sense from an RMA perspective. With ARM chips that cost Apple, Acer, Asus, etc probably $20 per chip, the board can be easily scrapped w/ the chip and just replaced with a new one. We might start seeing Celeron, Pentium, and maybe even some i3 soldered onto the boards, but not anything over $200.

Goku
2012-12-02, 09:05 AM
From what I'm reading now this is going to happen for the very low end CPU/motherboards. Probably won't see this happening with the i3, i5, and i7 range of CPUs.

Geist
2012-12-03, 05:19 PM
From what I'm reading now this is going to happen for the very low end CPU/motherboards. Probably won't see this happening with the i3, i5, and i7 range of CPUs.

Thank god for that. Might even be useful for building low-end media centers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rbstr
2012-12-03, 06:14 PM
Well BGA doesn't stop people from selling high end chips in laptops.

Like I was saying on a 3/4year upgrade cycle this would have no impact, because you're going to a new mobo anyway.