PDA

View Full Version : Running Jerky

MuaDib
2012-12-06, 03:07 PM
Ok. I have the Hp Envy and when I run the game it is incredibly slow and jerky even with the settings on low. I have the AMD FX 6120 six-core processor and 10 gigs of RAM. I'm guessing the slowness of the game is a result of my Internet connection which is a wireless connection to the house next door whom I rent from (like 25 yards distance). I would greatly appreciate any light you can shed on my problem. Thanks!

Rbstr
2012-12-06, 04:34 PM
What variety of Envy?

At this point I'm just guessing you don't have a graphics cards that's any good...and there's not much you can do about that.

MuaDib
2012-12-06, 05:00 PM
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7450

Goku
2012-12-06, 05:48 PM
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7450

Card is extremely weak. You need a 7750 min IMO.

MuaDib
2012-12-06, 06:47 PM
Ok. Thanks Goku. Any specific suggestions? So you don't thinkin Internet connection has anything to do with it?

Goku
2012-12-06, 07:35 PM
Ok. Thanks Goku. Any specific suggestions? So you don't thinkin Internet connection has anything to do with it?

As far as video cards? I don't know your system specifically. If you want to upgrade I'll need to know what Envy you have.

To test your wifi check here http://pingtest.net/

Link the results back here.

Ailos
2012-12-07, 01:29 AM
@OP You don't just have a weak video card, you also have a Bulldozer-FX. Those aren't known for their strong instruction efficiency, and are consequently, not ideal for PS2.

Also, 10 GB of RAM is a rather odd amount to have. How is the RAM configured? I'm guessing: 2x2GB and 2x3GB modules. If that's the case, your RAM is running in single-channel mode (instead of the dual-channel it's capable of), and that can also negatively impact performance.

MuaDib
2012-12-07, 09:17 AM
My ping test came out 32 ms (ping) and 25ms (jitter). Graded B+. I have the hp envy h8 PC series. I'm sorry I'm so lame at all this but I really do appreciate your help!

Rbstr
2012-12-07, 09:47 AM
Not spectacular but fine.

Your video card just isn't very good. And, if your RAM isn't operating in dual channel mode, memory bandwidth is probably an issue too.

MuaDib
2012-12-07, 08:37 PM
Ok. So suggestions on new video cards? And how can I get my RAM to operate in dual channel mode?

Ailos
2012-12-08, 01:38 AM
Ok. So suggestions on new video cards? And how can I get my RAM to operate in dual channel mode?

Video card: Radeon HD 7750 or NVidia 550Ti or better. These'll allow you to run it at medium settings.

For the RAM:
If you know for a fact that your RAM is in the configuration I described (2x3 and 2x2 GB), all you have to do is buy matching pairs for one or the other (i.e. buy a matching pair of either 2 or 3 GB sticks), then replace them. Memory controllers will generally operate in dual-channel mode when both channels have identical memory chips installed (this means size as well as speed and latency). Remember that one channel works across two sticks, so two pairs of RAM banks = 2 channels.

If you're not sure if that's the actual issue, you can test to see if what is actually going on before you decide to spend money. Download the SiSoftware Sandra (http://www.sisoftware.co.uk//?d=dload&f=sware_dl_3264&l=en&a=) benchmark, and run the system memory test. It will display your results, and you can also call up an average of the performance other users with different kinds of hardware get, and see how your numbers compare to the same processor.

Rbstr
2012-12-08, 09:18 AM
CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) Will tell you what memory you've got and if it's acting in dual channel mode.

Ailos
2012-12-08, 12:20 PM
CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) Will tell you what memory you've got and if it's acting in dual channel mode.

Forgot about that. Do this, it's easier.

ColdBackHAND
2012-12-15, 09:34 AM
Video card: Radeon HD 7750 or NVidia 550Ti or better. These'll allow you to run it at medium settings.

For the RAM:
If you know for a fact that your RAM is in the configuration I described (2x3 and 2x2 GB), all you have to do is buy matching pairs for one or the other (i.e. buy a matching pair of either 2 or 3 GB sticks), then replace them. Memory controllers will generally operate in dual-channel mode when both channels have identical memory chips installed (this means size as well as speed and latency). Remember that one channel works across two sticks, so two pairs of RAM banks = 2 channels.

If you're not sure if that's the actual issue, you can test to see if what is actually going on before you decide to spend money. Download the SiSoftware Sandra (http://www.sisoftware.co.uk//?d=dload&f=sware_dl_3264&l=en&a=) benchmark, and run the system memory test. It will display your results, and you can also call up an average of the performance other users with different kinds of hardware get, and see how your numbers compare to the same processor.

This is fine, 2x3G (bank1) and 2x2G (bank2) configuration. It's still utilizing dual channel for each bank

No need to make the person spend money unnecessarily.