View Full Version : News: New Faction Trailers & Command Center

SturmovikDrakon
2012-12-11, 02:34 PM
Happy Holidays from Command Center - YouTube

PlanetSide 2: Choose Vanu Sovereignty, Choose Enlightenment - YouTube
PlanetSide2: Choose Duty, Choose the Terran Republic. - YouTube
PlanetSide 2: Choose Freedom, Choose the New Conglomerate - YouTube

Couple of things:

The TR Narrator sounds like a guy doing commercials trying to sell a product, especially at the end (also, metal? really? Where's the orchestra? :nono: ) (also... DOODIE!)
The NC sounds like he just got out of his tweens
The VS had the best narration/music/editing (imo)

I still think there should be in-game cinematic introductions to all the factions though. or some sort of cinematic to re-cap events of the lore

Phantomdestiny
2012-12-11, 02:42 PM
I still think there should be in-game cinematic introductions to all the factions though. or some sort of cinematic to re-cap events of the lore

well they do need a better introduction of the factions for people to make their choices at character creation.

They need more cosmetics for sure (not for free of course , i ment on the cash shop)
please put more armors and helmets .

And the lore events cinematic should be a 5 minute video the first time the game launch before the character creation with option to rewatch it in the options

Hamma
2012-12-11, 02:48 PM
Added command center to your post to combine it as one news article. :D

moosepoop
2012-12-11, 02:52 PM
The narrator for the TR one is kind of underwhelming to be honest, he reminds me of a commercial (and the soundtrack choice seems off)

yeah man, i expected tr voiceover to be more evil and sinister. this guy sounds like hes selling washing machines. "the only choice is...DOODY!"

agreed with in game cinematics. hopefully it will come in the future.

SturmovikDrakon
2012-12-11, 02:57 PM
well they do need a better introduction of the factions for people to make their choices at character creation.

They need more cosmetics for sure (not for free of course , i ment on the cash shop)
please put more armors and helmets .

And the lore events cinematic should be a 5 minute video the first time the game launch before the character creation with option to rewatch it in the options

That's exactly what I want as well actually
Something similar to Echelon Storm: History - YouTube

Doesn't have to be CGI, they could go with the GW2 route with animated art

As for cosmetics, I want this helmet for the NC!
http://i.imgur.com/nyQMA.jpg
They keep showing this guy everywhere and yet it's not in the store

yeah man, i expected tr voiceover to be more evil and sinister. this guy sounds like hes selling washing machines. "the only choice is...DOODY!"

agreed with in game cinematics. hopefully it will come in the future.

They should have gone with the Empires At War narrators I feel for both NC and TR
PlanetSide 2 Empires at War E3 2012 Trailer - YouTube

but the VS one is good

moosepoop
2012-12-11, 02:58 PM
Doesn't have to be CGI or anything, they could go with the GW2 route with animated art

They should have gone with the Empires At War narrators I feel for both NC and TR, but the VS one is good

it should be something like freelancer intro, that explains the backstory and exodus from earth.

also this shouldve been the TR trailer
Planetside 2 Terran Republic Speech Trailer | Prepare for Beta - YouTube

Rivenshield
2012-12-11, 02:59 PM
Why does the guy narrating the TR commercial sound like such a wuss? They need to bring back the guy from the E3 segment... Mister Whiskey & Cigars. And skip the rock music. Save it for the smurfs. Give us thrilling orchestral stuff with choirs and drums... something from Two Steps To Hell....

/snaps fingers

You know what they should do? They should have a *contest*. There as so many talented amateur cinematographers out there that have done stuff that just blows us all away. Let *them* create a commercial of thus-and-such a length for their own faction, and winner gets like 2500 Station Cash. Why not?

MrBloodworth
2012-12-11, 03:08 PM
Are thees TV spots?

typhaon
2012-12-11, 03:13 PM
TR guy sounds like a wuss. That fits. Leave it.

There was an unedited version of the NC ad up on ZAM.com for a few minutes....

Boooooo censorship!

I'm very surprised SOE hasn't been running video contests and providing a nicely organized forum/location where we can check out everyone's work. I wonder if there are potential legal issues they'd rather just not deal with? Seems like a vibrant part of the community they aren't connecting with as closely as they could.

Kail
2012-12-11, 07:15 PM
For anyone interested in a new faction avatar, here are some screencaps from the faction trailers and prettied up a little.

Edit: I'm not much of a photoshopper, so apologies for not saving them out as transparent PNGs. Ill leave that to someone more skilled to tackle :)

Gonefshn
2012-12-11, 07:47 PM
NO bias at all honestly.

The Vanu one was the only good one.

The TR one was just god aweful.

To my amazement the NC one was worse.
WOW. Where was the epic orchestra and percussion for the TR??????? I will admit TR music is the most iconic and the best of all three empires and it was lost in that trailer. lame.

The NC one was just... no. I don't even play NC and I have to say they have been screwed now not only by their horrible looking camoes but their trailer as well. At least the TR look awesome in all of the camo options the NC just got the shaft all night long.

They do have awesome looking guns though.

Anyways, SOE...... c'mon, try harder.

P.S. In my infinite maturity I also found the TR one hilarious... "If you want to save this planet there is only one choice... only DUTY!" .... haha... doodie.

Hamma
2012-12-11, 08:01 PM
The VS one definitely had the best voice but the TR one had the best editing.

But yea, they need some better voice actors.

SturmovikDrakon
2012-12-11, 08:32 PM
Anyways, SOE...... c'mon, try harder.

Like I said on another forum, SOE is always so close to perfection, but then it feels like they miss these small details at the last minute that keeps them back
they really should have gone with the Empires at War narrators for NC and TR. I don't get why they didn't. They're never consistent about these things, the NC had three different voice overs now from all these trailers and they can't just stick with one

Whiteagle
2012-12-11, 08:59 PM
They should have gone with the Empires At War narrators I feel for both NC and TR
PlanetSide 2 Empires at War E3 2012 Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_htNqTRnv0)
Why does the guy narrating the TR commercial sound like such a wuss? They need to bring back the guy from the E3 segment... Mister Whiskey & Cigars. And skip the rock music. Save it for the smurfs. Give us thrilling orchestral stuff with choirs and drums... something from Two Steps To Hell....
Yeah, the guy in the TR trailer sounds like a Disney Video Announcer:
"Join the Terran Republic for some wholesome warfare the whole family can enjoy!"

I'll give them the Rock and Roll, just because it sounds like its suppose to be a Military Recruitment ad... but the voice over definitely needs more steel in it.

Of course, that's why I think the NC voice works, he sounds like a "Fuck you, I'm the next Generation" youth freedom fighter the Conglomerate would be fishing for.

/snaps fingers

You know what they should do? They should have a *contest*. There as so many talented amateur cinematographers out there that have done stuff that just blows us all away. Let *them* create a commercial of thus-and-such a length for their own faction, and winner gets like 2500 Station Cash. Why not?
Hells yes!
When I think I can pull off a more fitting narration then the one they put in, then you might want to open the job up to the fan-base.

Bags
2012-12-11, 09:09 PM
The TR was awesome

they don't look at exloposions

Graywolves
2012-12-11, 10:28 PM
I absolutely loved the TR one, I saved it for last and was not anywhere close to disappointed. My one realy nitpick is how he says duty at the end. "There is no choice - Only Doodie!"

Everyone thinks he sounds like a salesman, I actually think he sounds like the guy that does the voice over for every recruitment commercial on TV. I was kind of expecting someone more intimidating though but I felt he was just as good.

The transitions and the music really made my hair stand up.

Crator
2012-12-11, 10:32 PM
Of course, that's why I think the NC voice works, he sounds like a "Fuck you, I'm the next Generation" youth freedom fighter the Conglomerate would be fishing for.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Was surprised the TR voice sounded similar. I actually liked the NC one. Guess I'm partial though. ;)

Brusi
2012-12-11, 11:38 PM
TR are from NU-YAWK?

HenchAnt
2012-12-12, 01:21 AM
Really liked the trailers.

VR one really nailed the elitist attitude, advertising to individuals considering themselves better, smarter. Also with a nice scientology touch.

TR sounds like army <i>advertisment</i> for the masses. Really nailed that, too. And it got some awesome footage and composition.

NC really has this angry resistance thing going. Like a mix of ghetto gangs and Anonymous. And some over the top flashy, "kick-ass", "amateurish" editing that fits.

It's not only about making the factions look good. Given the great Planetside2 optics and a good score, any professional could do that. (Or just slap some "Two steps from hell" over mass action with explosions. ;) ) It's about making them distinct. I tap my hat how well they pulled that of. Making the faction look good, distinct and without forgetting to put their "bad side" in the trailer as well.

So of course one can complain that the TR one is too slick and oily, much like a dogmatic, well oiled war machine that exists for its own sake. ;)

Or that the NC one looks like something an angry net anarchist would put together, complete with his favourite over-the-top wrestling music. I personally like the "slightly hillbilly space miners taking up arms against oppression, with rock and twang and shotguns" theme more for NC. But Sony did a good job of capturing NC here, choosing a different facette this time.

bjorntju1
2012-12-12, 02:16 AM
NC faction best faction

Whiteagle
2012-12-12, 03:26 AM
TR sounds like army <i>advertisment</i> for the masses. Really nailed that, too. And it got some awesome footage and composition.
Well like I said, they nailed it set-up wise, but when it came to presentation...

So of course one can complain that the TR one is too slick and oily, much like a dogmatic, well oiled war machine that exists for its own sake. ;)
...No, that isn't the problem...
The problem is that he is too warm with his delivery.
It's like Mark Elliott is trying to get me to enlist!

Qwan
2012-12-12, 06:47 AM
LOL the TR just cracked me up sounded like he wanted you to join the army. The NC guys sounded like he still hasnt gotten layed yet, and after saying that curse word was put on punishment. The VS guys sounded like he wanted me to sacrifice my next born to the vanu god. But over all they were really good, I enjoyed each one.

Hyncharas
2012-12-12, 12:02 PM
I recall a time when I campaigned to get AGN's faction-commercials to be combined with content based on the game, but in another engine...

I am glad to see at least the studio cares about this concept more than the fans seem to :mad:

NewSith
2012-12-12, 02:43 PM
All three Empire videos are friggin EPIC!

Fear The Amish
2012-12-12, 07:04 PM
is it bad i got an erection after watching the VS one? best post ive seen was on the youtube for the VS one.

"EVERYONE RUN THEY HAVE ACTIVATED THE DUBSTEP!"

Whiteagle
2012-12-13, 11:56 AM
is it bad i got an erection after watching the VS one? best post ive seen was on the youtube for the VS one.

"EVERYONE RUN THEY HAVE ACTIVATED THE DUBSTEP!"
New VS Heavy Assault Special weapon: BASS CANNON!!!

Sledgecrushr
2012-12-13, 12:55 PM
Very nicely done, I like all the trailers.