PDA

View Full Version : Weapon placement, gun models, gun stock (this is for the weapon animators!!)

SturmovikDrakon
2012-12-16, 11:53 AM
Ok, hear me out here. This may not be a balance problem, but it's still one of those small details that for some reason sticks out for me like a sore thumb.
We all know there's a clear distinct lack of visual weapon variety in the game (in the confines of your own faction) and I think this is one of those reasons.

The way they design current weapon models, is they have several pre-built weapon parts for all the weapons, meaning shoulder stock, barrel, etc that they can swap out/replace and basically pump out a "new" model with ease (at least this is how I remember T.Ray explaining it)

Now let's take the last game update. With the new LMG addition for the TR, the ONLY thing that was changed with the model was the shoulder stock

The way the weapon models are currently placed in first person view basically blocks the shoulder stock preventing you from properly seeing it

Here are two examples from VS POV

How much of it is hidden
http://i.imgur.com/DPtTs.png

How much you see
http://i.imgur.com/eNUV5.png

I also feel this is one of the reasons carbines and assault rifles don't seem that different in FPV since you can't see if there's a stock or not

How much of a hassle would it be to ask artists to either simply "push" the weapon models a bit further out in your view, or give us an option for a FoV slider specifically for weapons?

If any of you have ever played with a shotgun, which are basically rifle models, you'll notice that the weapon protrudes farther in your view, and you are able to see more of the weapon itself, the stock/grip/trigger etc.

Not only does it look nicer, but it actually "feels" nicer

Oh if only I could model/animate in order to properly show what I mean

so does anyone "get" me or is this complete drivel? :P

Tooterfish
2012-12-16, 12:03 PM
If I'm understanding you right, you want to see the butt/stock of a rifle, trigger and pistol grip? I don't know if you've ever fired a rifle before, but the butt is placed against your shoulder and cheek, so seeing it doesn't make sense. Even if you're hip firing, you wouldn't have those pieces of the rifle in view, unless you're holding out in front of you and spraying wildly.

SturmovikDrakon
2012-12-16, 12:05 PM
If I'm understanding you right, you want to see the butt/stock of a rifle, trigger and pistol grip? I don't know if you've ever fired a rifle before, but the butt is placed against your shoulder and cheek, so seeing it doesn't make sense. Even if you're hip firing, you wouldn't have those pieces of the rifle in view, unless you're holding out in front of you and spraying wildly.

You're right, but I don't want to see the whole stock, I just want them to push the weapons out just a bit further than the way they currently are
It's why I'm asking for some sort of weapon FOV slider, or at least a way to change it in the .ini

I mean, if all they're going to change is the stock of a rifle when they pump out a new model, they might as well have it revealed a bit

#edit I actually think they way the placed the weapons is perfect and right on (and yes I have held a rifle before, never fired one though), but what I'm asking is just for preference

This is probably the farthest I'd like to see it out
http://bf3blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/battlefield-3-m240-6-620x348.jpg

nailgun
2012-12-16, 12:06 PM
complete drivel tbh.

all the stocks are barely distinguishable from each other.

SturmovikDrakon
2012-12-16, 12:07 PM
complete drivel tbh.

all the stocks are barely distinguishable from each other.

that's alright :) just putting out what's on my mind

I can personally see the difference

Tooterfish
2012-12-16, 12:13 PM
It is a pretty valid request, if being that of differentiating the weapons from each other; including enhanced features with upgrades, or differing characteristics with new models, as you mentioned. I'd prefer more obvious traits though that wouldn't require diluting the FPS perspective from what would be considered realistic. Like, say, heat spreaders, selector switches, charging handles, rear and forward sights, hand guards and bolt catches, things you would normally recognize from a realistic FPS POV. All of these things make even an M-16 distinguishable from other M-16's in current technology. There's no reason more detail couldn't be added in the future. I expect the guns to have this level of intimate detail in an FPS especially if I'm going to be buying them on an individual basis of up to seven USD a pop.

SturmovikDrakon
2012-12-16, 01:03 PM
It is a pretty valid request, if being that of differentiating the weapons from each other; including enhanced features with upgrades, or differing characteristics with new models, as you mentioned. I'd prefer more obvious traits though that wouldn't require diluting the FPS perspective from what would be considered realistic. Like, say, heat spreaders, selector switches, charging handles, rear and forward sights, hand guards and bolt catches, things you would normally recognize from a realistic FPS POV. All of these things make even an M-16 distinguishable from other M-16's in current technology. There's no reason more detail couldn't be added in the future. I expect the guns to have this level of intimate detail in an FPS especially if I'm going to be buying them on an individual basis of up to seven USD a pop.

Yeap Yeap.
This is exactly why I'm asking for this

I also hope that if we do get a slider of sorts that it will also get translated into the way the weapon is held during sprinting

http://i.imgur.com/YmKqh.gif
I can only assume this is from alpha

And this was a bugged view that Whisenhunt got when he respawned

http://i.imgur.com/OvPBJ.jpg

this goes into personal preference again. i just like the way they were held before!