PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito > Reaver ....From a VS perspective.

PredatorFour
2012-12-21, 04:08 AM
Dunno about you guys playing on the other empires but as VS its quite obvious to me that the mosquito is hands down superior to the reaver in the skies. The mossie is fast, packs a punch and has a really thin profile. The reaver however, while packing a punch also, is slow and really bulky. I would take fighting a reaver in my tank EVERYDAY over trying to hit a mossie.

I reckon the mossie should of had a bigger profile like the reaver, but still retained its speed. While the reaver should of been the thin one but slow. Imo this would of helped the balance, albeit coming from a VS perspective !

I`d like to know your thoughts on this , plus any info regarding what its like to fight the scythe (particularly from a ground vehicle point of view)

Daliahita
2012-12-21, 05:00 AM
Yeah, the NC is supposed to be slow and bulky, but hit hard and last long. We got the slow and bulky part, but I don't feel like it hits harder or lasts longer at all. It just feels like I'm doing the same damage for half the maneuverability and speed. 2 A2A missiles bring Reavers, Mosquitoes, and Scythes to the same level of critical damage, so I'm not seeing any difference in durability, either.

Perhaps the difference is much greater with a fully upgraded Reaver vs. a fully upgraded Mosquito?

Rago
2012-12-21, 06:32 AM
Yeah, the NC is supposed to be slow and bulky, but hit hard and last long. We got the slow and bulky part, but I don't feel like it hits harder or lasts longer at all. It just feels like I'm doing the same damage for half the maneuverability and speed. 2 A2A missiles bring Reavers, Mosquitoes, and Scythes to the same level of critical damage, so I'm not seeing any difference in durability, either.

Perhaps the difference is much greater with a fully upgraded Reaver vs. a fully upgraded Mosquito?

Those breaker rockets are pretty strong, it good that the Reaver is a little slower.I never use A2Noob Rockets :P

Storn
2012-12-21, 06:39 AM
Those breaker rockets are pretty strong, it good that the Reaver is a little slower.I never use A2Noob Rockets :P

A2Noob huh!?!? :huh: Sounds to me like we have a pilot that hasnt figured out how to manuver to avoid them. :rolleyes: But if using the right tool for the job to kill enemy air is noob well then color me noob. See you up there Ace lol!

Beerbeer
2012-12-21, 07:01 AM
Mosquito is much better farming ground targets as well, IMO. Just for the simple fact I can unload all rockets faster than the reaver, which makes a big difference.

Storn
2012-12-21, 07:54 AM
Mosquito is much better farming ground targets as well, IMO. Just for the simple fact I can unload all rockets faster than the reaver, which makes a big difference.

Agreed! I like to do a nice high altitude strafing run (more dive bomb like) unloading rockets on the target as I speed downward and finishing off the target with a little rotary cannon before pulling up. Works like a charm for turrets/lightnings and magmowers :groovy:

HiroshiChugi
2012-12-21, 08:01 AM
i agree about the reaver not having good armor....a friggin NC pistol can kill it in only a few clips...wtf? I just don't see how that should be possible :\ this is probably the one and ONLY time i say that something in the NC needs to be buffed: and that's the reaver's armor. everything else is fine lol.

Timey
2012-12-21, 09:08 AM
A2Noob huh!?!? :huh: Sounds to me like we have a pilot that hasnt figured out how to manuver to avoid them. :rolleyes: But if using the right tool for the job to kill enemy air is noob well then color me noob. See you up there Ace lol!

except most of the time you can't outmaneuver them. They just keep coming and making ridiculous 1800 degree turns in the process. If you could actually dodge them AND ACTUALLY get a radar warning from which direction they are coming, I'd have no problems with them. Now they're just broken. I spit on them and their users.

Rat
2012-12-21, 09:46 AM
except most of the time you can't outmaneuver them. They just keep coming and making ridiculous 1800 degree turns in the process. If you could actually dodge them AND ACTUALLY get a radar warning from which direction they are coming, I'd have no problems with them. Now they're just broken. I spit on them and their users.

Wow...the spit comment is kinda harsh....if it were up to me I would ban you...thats pretty offencive.

Quadron
2012-12-21, 11:45 AM

You are right in that it is hard to dodge A2A missles. Almost impossible infact, unless you get lucky.

But you are wrong in this... the trick isn't dodging the A2A missiles once they are locked on, but preventing people from locking on by flying tight to the ground + breaking line of sight by flying around/underneath objects. It is incredibly hard to get a lock on a good pilot.

I think A2A missiles in it's current state increase the skill ceiling significantly because only good pilots can prevent lock ons/escape successfully.

And keep in mind that I have over 1700 kills as a reaver pilot. So... yeah, I know what I'm talking about and almost never die to lock missiles, even when I have several people trying to lock on to me.

thegreekboy
2012-12-21, 12:35 PM
Dunno about you guys playing on the other empires but as VS its quite obvious to me that the mosquito is hands down superior to the reaver in the skies. The mossie is fast, packs a punch and has a really thin profile. The reaver however, while packing a punch also, is slow and really bulky. I would take fighting a reaver in my tank EVERYDAY over trying to hit a mossie.

I reckon the mossie should of had a bigger profile like the reaver, but still retained its speed. While the reaver should of been the thin one but slow. Imo this would of helped the balance, albeit coming from a VS perspective !

I`d like to know your thoughts on this , plus any info regarding what its like to fight the scythe (particularly from a ground vehicle point of view)

The mossie is actually a bigger target than a reaver. It's alot longer, so its easier to hit from the top or bottom, which means that if your in a dogfight you get hit more often while turning compared to a reaver or scythe.

Overall, though, I think the aircraft need to get thier differences really underscored.

-Mossie should go 50 kph faster than any other aircraft and have its boosts extended

-Reaver should have much more armor than any other aircraft. (Akin to maybe double what it has now)

-Scythe should be able to turn on a dime and accelerate/decelerate faster than other aircraft, but have 25% less health

Daliahita
2012-12-21, 01:25 PM

I do agree they should have a radar warning. But I have no problem with their current speed and turning angle. Most Mosquitoes have the turning ability to dodge it, but leave themselves vulnerable to the main gun. Reavers begin praying and afterburner back to warpgate. Scythes, though, are boss.

The Vanu on Jaeger have some ace pilots. They can really take advantage of the Scythe's out-of-this-world movement to a pants-wettingly high degree. They can dodge missiles while maintaining a good speed. It doesn't look easy, but I like Vanu this way.

The idea behind missiles is that they're not supposed to be easily countered. If you chose rocket pods, you subjected yourself to becoming vulnerable to the pilots that didn't. You shouldn't be able to do strafing runs or air combat well against A2AM users.

I do agree that it really takes no skill to use and its embarrassingly frustrating to be shot down by them after you take a lot of effort to try and dodge them. I also think the initial amount of missiles they can hold should be a tad lower.

Edit: a word.

AThreatToYou
2012-12-21, 02:59 PM
The reaver is all-around worst ESF because it's so fat and has absolutely zero damage bonus over other ESF.

Almost no empire-specificity in aircraft. Why did we copy the TR with Breakers? Why not aircraft-mounted 50mm explosive cannons, because that would be awesome?

The scythe is unique though. Way to cut my own argument in half. I just want the Mossie and Reaver to be more different; as it stands, they are basically the same.

Quadron
2012-12-21, 03:23 PM
The mossie is actually a bigger target than a reaver. It's alot longer, so its easier to hit from the top or bottom, which means that if your in a dogfight you get hit more often while turning compared to a reaver or scythe.

Overall, though, I think the aircraft need to get thier differences really underscored.

-Mossie should go 50 kph faster than any other aircraft and have its boosts extended

-Reaver should have much more armor than any other aircraft. (Akin to maybe double what it has now)

-Scythe should be able to turn on a dime and accelerate/decelerate faster than other aircraft, but have 25% less health

The mossie is about as long as the reaver, except that the reaver is fat brick from the side, top, or rear. There have been many discussions of this on the official forums, and the reaver certainly has a larger hitbox than the both of the other ESFs. The scythe on the other hand has even smaller hit boxes than both the other 2.

50 KPH is too fast. It already goes 33 KPH faster than the reaver (reaver = 212 with spacebar, mos = 245 KPH), though on the other hand the reaver's top afterburner speed is about 20 higher than either the Scythe or the Mossie, but AB only lasts for a few seconds, and moss is already definitely plenty fast to escape engagements.

thegreekboy
2012-12-21, 04:26 PM
The mossie is about as long as the reaver, except that the reaver is fat brick from the side, top, or rear. There have been many discussions of this on the official forums, and the reaver certainly has a larger hitbox than the both of the other ESFs. The scythe on the other hand has even smaller hit boxes than both the other 2.

50 KPH is too fast. It already goes 33 KPH faster than the reaver (reaver = 212 with spacebar, mos = 245 KPH), though on the other hand the reaver's top afterburner speed is about 20 higher than either the Scythe or the Mossie, but AB only lasts for a few seconds, and moss is already definitely plenty fast to escape engagements.

From the perspective of a mossie pilot, I can tell you with complete certainty that if you were on my tail and I tried to bug out you would just laugh and kill me easily

Beerbeer
2012-12-21, 04:48 PM
The reaver, in its current state, tries to fit into the NC "theme," but I don't think it has gone far enough. It feels sluggish compared to the mossie and shoots pods slower, but there's really nothing to compensate for these drawbacks.

In return, it should have more armor and/or more damage per rocket (and less rockets per magazine) to compensate having to stick your neck out longer than the others.

Or just dispense with the differences and move the reaver back to what it was a few patches ago as back then, it was pretty close to the mossie in terms of performance, speed and rof.

Daliahita
2012-12-21, 05:07 PM
The reaver, in its current state, tries to fit into the NC "theme," but I don't think it has gone far enough. It feels sluggish compared to the mossie and shoots pods slower, but there's really nothing to compensate for these drawbacks.

In return, it should have more armor and/or more damage per rocket (and less rockets per magazine) to compensate having to stick your neck out longer than the others.

Nailed it.

The Messenger
2012-12-21, 10:47 PM
Stock speed needs to be increased slightly as the current is way to slow. Even at level 3 racer chassis, even the AB doesn't seem to be boosted. Wierdest thing is the fastest I can get it to go now is ~245kph so a stock mossie is just as fast. So does this mean that a mossie with level 3 dogfighting turns as tight as a stock scythe? Or a scythe with racer would be as fast (maybe slightly faster) than a stock mossie? These numbers make no sense in comparison to the amount of certs the level 3 rank costs.

The only thing I've seen that the reaver has over the other two is our 2 second AB and our vertical thruster. I couldn't get a stock mossie to fly in reverse and never tried with a scythe.

Timey
2012-12-22, 02:20 PM
Wow...the spit comment is kinda harsh....if it were up to me I would ban you...thats pretty offencive.

I'm sorry, didn't mean it in an offensive way at all! Well. Hmh. Actually, scrap that apology. Welcome to the internet.

You are right in that it is hard to dodge A2A missles. Almost impossible infact, unless you get lucky.

But you are wrong in this... the trick isn't dodging the A2A missiles once they are locked on, but preventing people from locking on by flying tight to the ground + breaking line of sight by flying around/underneath objects. It is incredibly hard to get a lock on a good pilot.

I think A2A missiles in it's current state increase the skill ceiling significantly because only good pilots can prevent lock ons/escape successfully.

And keep in mind that I have over 1700 kills as a reaver pilot. So... yeah, I know what I'm talking about and almost never die to lock missiles, even when I have several people trying to lock on to me.

Good points, especially the bolded one.

I do agree they should have a radar warning. But I have no problem with their current speed and turning angle. Most Mosquitoes have the turning ability to dodge it, but leave themselves vulnerable to the main gun. Reavers begin praying and afterburner back to warpgate. Scythes, though, are boss.

The Vanu on Jaeger have some ace pilots. They can really take advantage of the Scythe's out-of-this-world movement to a pants-wettingly high degree. They can dodge missiles while maintaining a good speed. It doesn't look easy, but I like Vanu this way.

The idea behind missiles is that they're not supposed to be easily countered. If you chose rocket pods, you subjected yourself to becoming vulnerable to the pilots that didn't. You shouldn't be able to do strafing runs or air combat well against A2AM users.

I do agree that it really takes no skill to use and its embarrassingly frustrating to be shot down by them after you take a lot of effort to try and dodge them. I also think the initial amount of missiles they can hold should be a tad lower.

Edit: a word.

+1

ty for replies.

I'm just lost most of the time when I get the lock warning. I have no idea if it's behind and above of me or 90 degrees to left/right on x altitude. Dunno, I'm not the best pilot out there.

Aaaaaand, if you could dodge / do some silly moves to confuse the missile then, after x time everyone would know how to do that and a2a would be useless. Now that I think about it it's pretty much perfect right now.. certainly doesn't need a buff.

And this all comes from the receiving end, I've never touched them and probably never will.. I'm just glad most of the pilots that use a2a are incompetent with the gun, so if I tank that first missile and figure out where they are they just fly straight to the nearest rock or sth :P