PDA

View Full Version : When and Why did they change the gound area under the Allatum dome?

Tatwi
2012-12-23, 04:10 PM
So I played for a while last night, first time in a long time, and I was rather mortified when I saw the uglification of the ground under the Allatum dome. I was like, "W...T...F? What happened to all the cool buildings, crates, and stuff?". Seriously, what's in there now looks like a huge step backwards in development, with just those hills. Before it was much more true to life and looked like people actually use the place for something. Plus it was way more FUN to play around and on top of all that stuff - WAY more FUN.

On a related note, I've found that it bothers me that the world is this strange combination of faux-functional story locations and FPS arena gaminess. It's off putting that nothing happens at these locations... makes everything feel blah, plus it misses out on an interesting level of depth that would be possible if there were NPCs and story going on. Apart from the BFR, there isn't even anything humorous. Seems like a missed layer of character and polish. This is funny too, because last year I said npcs and "flavor" animals would be a waste of time, but the dead and lifeless world truly is depressing, so color me a convert.

Side note: Could someone please PM/email me when people decide to play the game properly? Fucking pathetic show of extreme patheticness to the max last night on Matherson, as each faction played in their own little private play ground of a continent rather than fight each other. Granted, some people fought, but it's pretty damned sad and disappointing to see 55%+ pop boasting about taking territory. The worst part was when some dweeb in leader came onto Amerish and asked the 5% of us TR to come and join the 55% on Indar, when we were trying to stop the VS from taking Amerish (and thus the whole world). God forbid people actually try to play what little meta game there is. So yeah, I'll be shooting bots in good o'l Condition Zero when I feel like shooting things until I catch wind that people want to play PS2 properly - at least Condition Zero runs smoothly and isn't a giant let down. Really... WTH is wrong with people? Is "Farming certs" and stroking one's KDR really why people play Planetside 2?

J Baley
2012-12-23, 04:22 PM
Side note: Could someone please PM/email me when people decide to play the game properly? Fucking pathetic show of extreme patheticness to the max last night on Matherson, as each faction played in their own little private play ground of a continent rather than fight each other. Granted, some people fought, but it's pretty damned sad and disappointing to see 55%+ pop boasting about taking territory. The worst part was when some dweeb in leader came onto Amerish and asked the 5% of us TR to come and join the 55% on Indar, when we were trying to stop the VS from taking Amerish (and thus the whole world). God forbid people actually try to play what little meta game there is. So yeah, I'll be shooting bots in good o'l Condition Zero when I feel like shooting things until I catch wind that people want to play PS2 properly - at least Condition Zero runs smoothly and isn't a giant let down. Really... WTH is wrong with people? Is "Farming certs" and stroking one's KDR really why people play Planetside 2?

One reason: I was playing in a very aggressive fight with the NC a few weeks ago with a few friends. Was an awesome fight and we were just starting to get some territory on the continent but my friends wanted to leave to go to the zerg continent because they are Engineers and all the deployables use lots of resources. Seems to trump meta game.

Electrofreak
2012-12-23, 04:23 PM
No idea about Allatum (I'll check it out tonight) but regarding poor gameplay, the game is this way currently because the playerbase is adapting to do whatever provides the most reward. Capturing bases with as little opposition as possible and then moving on to the next continent is the best way to collect XP currently, bar farming infantry from a Lib or a tank, and even those have a slightly higher risk factor.

Figment
2012-12-23, 06:44 PM
...are Engineers and all the deployables use lots of resources.

How do you run out of infantry resources? O.o'

JesNC
2012-12-23, 07:45 PM
How do you run out of infantry resources? O.o'

I do it all the time.

A full stack of resources equals 10 AT mines or ~7 blocks of C4. I can spend those in less than 10 mins, not even counting additional frag grenades.

When you're only getting 15-30 resources a tick while defending your last few territories you run out of resources fast, even if you have a full stockpile of each. :(

Figgy, you need to come visit us more often ingame, it's getting kinda lonely without you...

Tatwi
2012-12-24, 09:05 AM
From his Twitter, I see Clegg is on vacation. Good on him for not reading this and replying, but still really curious as to why the area under the Allatum dome got changed. It was really cool before and even I didn't have any performance difference or issues. I really liked running around in the "stuff" and catching people and tanks off guard. The cool, it will be missed.

Hamma
2012-12-24, 09:55 AM
There was one bio lab rashnu I think where some stuff made it to live that shouldn't have. It's possible that is the case with other bio labs as well.

One a side note, the private playground issue is on all servers all factions are going to continents of least resistance.

The Messenger
2012-12-24, 09:04 PM
If you were fighting at Alatum a little earlier on the server, you wouldn't complain. NC took it early AM and held it for several hours. Eventually, VS and TR zergs started hitting it from both north and south. The fight was so huge, people's clients were crashing left and right. The most fun I ever had playing this game. Also the most I've seen people complain about the NC Hacksaw. Yeah they're murder at close range, but anything beyond that and a full mag wont kill anything, and don't get me started on the inaccuracy of the slugs; but I digress.

I had to log off for a friend's wedding so I don't know when it was lost but it was The Crown 2.0. I alone destroyed over two dozen sunderers there yesterday. I don't know how much exp I gained but I spent over 1k certs. I tip my hat the TR, they managed to break through the forcefield a few times and do some damage. But even when the VS had a half dozen MAX units in a port room, they just sat in there and shot from inside. I also laughed when I found myself wanting to thank the TR for having a prowler chase off a VS sundie bus that we were having trouble getting to.

p0intman
2012-12-24, 09:55 PM
So I played for a while last night, first time in a long time, and I was rather mortified when I saw the uglification of the ground under the Allatum dome. I was like, "W...T...F? What happened to all the cool buildings, crates, and stuff?". Seriously, what's in there now looks like a huge step backwards in development, with just those hills. Before it was much more true to life and looked like people actually use the place for something. Plus it was way more FUN to play around and on top of all that stuff - WAY more FUN.

On a related note, I've found that it bothers me that the world is this strange combination of faux-functional story locations and FPS arena gaminess. It's off putting that nothing happens at these locations... makes everything feel blah, plus it misses out on an interesting level of depth that would be possible if there were NPCs and story going on. Apart from the BFR, there isn't even anything humorous. Seems like a missed layer of character and polish. This is funny too, because last year I said npcs and "flavor" animals would be a waste of time, but the dead and lifeless world truly is depressing, so color me a convert.

Welcome to the not logging in and instead doing other, more entertaining things club.

Whiteagle
2012-12-25, 08:52 PM
There was one bio lab rashnu I think where some stuff made it to live that shouldn't have. It's possible that is the case with other bio labs as well.
...Please tell me they are putting in Dome Basements and Leg tunnels to get to them?

LoliLoveFart
2012-12-25, 10:30 PM
Personally i think the game would have launched better with just 2 continents.
Hopefully a 4th will even things out a bit.

p0intman
2012-12-25, 11:06 PM
...Please tell me they are putting in Dome Basements and Leg tunnels to get to them?

no, some jump pads have elevated landing pads to prevent camping.

The Messenger
2012-12-25, 11:11 PM
no, some jump pads have elevated landing pads to prevent camping.

Build an SG directly on it and LOL at the results.