PDA

View Full Version : News: HOW to Join the Ultimate Empire Showdown

Hamma
2013-01-23, 08:59 PM
http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-join-the-ultimate-empire-showdown-2937.htm

Hamma
2013-01-23, 08:59 PM
Finally some real details on how people can participate - and it's not just Connery.

Rolfski
2013-01-24, 12:36 AM
Still no explanation what the rewards for the winning conditions are. And no victory conditions that involves specific servers, outfits or players.

Announcing this limited "participation" 1 day before the event is certainly no reason to close down the "Why didn't they put an event in place on ALL servers?" -thread imo.

You just can't deny the feeling of a last-minute, quick thrown together afterthought bone to keep everybody happy.

p0intman
2013-01-24, 12:41 AM
Yawn zzzzzzz

Chewy
2013-01-24, 01:21 AM
30 minute challenges to get a hold of a certain outpost? That's the best SOE can think of?

Why not make it 3 hour deals that last as long as the main event and have them be owning the 3 conts. That sounds like a much better event instead of just going for a single base that holds little value. VERY weak of a side event. Also, half an hour is nothing for a good battle and is by far to little of a window for anything to be done with. It can take that long just to get to a base if resistance is high or if a connection needs to be made.

The only challenge that looks worth a damn is the take Amerish one. But yet again, 30 minutes is NOTHING when taking a map. A single tower can take that long to cap alone if defended.

If this is what SOE wants PS2 to be in the long run. A run from one base to the next, avoiding fights to cap what ever you can ASAP super MMS (modern military shooter). Then Im not seeing why it's called PlanetSide 2 and not some other name. It shares so little with PS that it wonders me. Reboot or not, it's named PS2. That 2 means it should be a bigger, badder, and better version of the original game. Not a complete remake that almost ignores the first. DmC 2 is a great example of a game not bothering to remember its origin. Turns it to shit.

ChipMHazard
2013-01-24, 06:32 AM
A wee bit late to inform everyone else that they too can participate in this event.

I do wonder how exactly are the server side events supposed to happen?
30 minutes to take and hold a territory, ok. But are the territories neutral at the start of the challenge or can they be taken beforehand and just held? Are all players sent back to their WGs, if so then each territory gives an inherrent advantage to the closest faction. Do players instead start outside said territory?
What about capping the most territories, are the servers reset before this? I would presume that they are.
And won't outfits simply create alts on all of the low pop servers to easily secure the challenges on as many servers as possible, instead of fighting on, say... Miller?
What's the incentive to actually participate in this, just faction pride?

I would most certainly have wished for a more detailed discription of the rules and conditions and as such I am inclined to agree with Rolfski about this feeling like a hastily throw together event for all of us who aren't on Connery.
Then again the whole thing is still just for PR so my stance on it hasn't really changed, would have been nice to have had some special event to restoke one's fire, but... Meh.

PredatorFour
2013-01-24, 06:57 AM
Typically uninspiring event from soe.. Well at least something from planetside made it into ps 2!:)

Sir B Smythe
2013-01-24, 09:46 AM
Typically uninspiring event from soe.. Well at least something from planetside made it into ps 2!:)

LOL That made me chuckle and yes your totally right :D

HiroshiChugi
2013-01-24, 12:29 PM
this is a complete and total waste of time for anyone who is both on and not on connery. i havent seen any sign of rewards for the completion of these tasks,just that you can participate in them. at the least,they should give out 2,000 certs to each player of the winnig faction.that wouold make sense, even if just a little,to myself and others.

ShadetheDruid
2013-01-24, 12:37 PM
Half a dozen posts on this event later and people still don't get the concept behind it.. and it's been explained multiple times too. :rolleyes:

coconut
2013-01-24, 12:59 PM
I think that these challenges are a great idea.
People have been complaining that the game lacks a winning condition, that there is little motivation to keep playing, why keep fighting, conquering and losing territories over and over again...
Couldn't this challenge system be maintained permanently under a suitable form?
Concretely:

Add a faction scoreboard to the game, one board per server
Distribute points based on the number of key territories held and number of people on the continent (so that nightly ghost capping doesn't weigh in too much)
Reset the scores every now an then (every month?)
Pick up a number of special territories that give extra points, to steer the battle away from Indar a bit.

I personally find that the current player-based scoreboard is completely uninteresting. I care nothing for BR100 who have been genetically engineered to farm kills 24/7. Let me know how much the Vanu are humiliating the TR and the NC on my server. These are interesting stats!

I think this could be very well be a good fix for the metagame, and one that does not involve making the game any more confusing to newcomers than it already is, unlike other suggestions based on resources and lattices.

ChipMHazard
2013-01-24, 01:44 PM
Half a dozen posts on this event later and people still don't get the concept behind it.. and it's been explained multiple times too. :rolleyes:

That it's an event focused on attracting new players? I'm rather certain everyone knows that.

Illtempered
2013-01-24, 02:07 PM
This is a perfect example of how the community makes this game, not the "devs". They provide us the sandbox, and we, the kids, play in it. SOE is like some lame parent that comes over to the sandbox and starts suggesting games for the kids to play in the sandbox, when we clearly got this shit.

I can almost guarantee that our Amerish Event on Waterson was far better than this will be. TB and his hord...DVS and their 40+ Libs...epic memories...

Edit to say: Oh, and to those that keep reminding us it's an event to attract new players: What better way to attract new players than to show them how much fun the existing players(people actually playing) are having? They should have just recorded our Waterson event and showed it to new players. As it stands, with the short notice, lack of details, and perceived lameness of the event by the community, they won't be doing a good job attracting new players, in my most humble opinion.

Chewy
2013-01-24, 02:18 PM
This is a perfect example of how the community makes this game, not the "devs". They provide us the sandbox, and we, the kids, play in it. SOE is like some lame parent that comes over to the sandbox and starts suggesting games for the kids to play in the sandbox, when we clearly got this shit.

I can almost guarantee that our Amerish Event on Waterson was far better than this will be. TB and his hord...DVS and their 40+ Libs...epic memories...

Edit to say: Oh, and to those that keep reminding us it's an event to attract new players: What better way to attract new players than to show them how much fun the existing players(people actually playing) are having? They should have just recorded our Waterson event and showed it to new players. As it stands, with the short notice, lack of details, and perceived lameness of the event by the community, they won't be doing a good job attracting new players, in my most humble opinion.

Never had a sandbox, just the dirt and mud under our raised front porch. MUCH better than sand. Sand is just sand, but mud kicks ass!

Itsatrap
2013-01-24, 07:27 PM
In theory the challenges are a good idea, because the idea is to show new players what they could experience during a 30-minute play session by highlighting a couple of highly-contested areas. The challenges also artificially add strategic goals to the game, if only for 30 minutes at a time.

However, if those territories are not on the front lines when the challenges start, then they're pretty much automatic locks for whomever happens to currently own them.

Black Creeper
2013-01-25, 08:14 AM
Am I alone in being irritated because there is no specific time mentioned for any of the 3 "challenging scenarios"? I assume they will happen between 4 and 7 PST. I'm East Coast on SolTech. I guess I have twitch open in one window and when they announce the objective, go for it in game in another window.

Just because it's an event for attracting new players doesn't mean that participation on other servers (which seems to be intended or at least open) should be obscure. Many new players are attracted and/or retained through efforts of existing players.

Trying to stay positive, please don't tell me that "I don't get the concept".