PDA

View Full Version : Update causing heavy lag?!

SeraphC
2013-02-02, 02:30 PM
Just finished downloading, played for half an hour. It's unbearable, getting less than 10 fps at times. Slide show style.

Anyone experiencing this as well? Is this a mistake on their part or are my drivers outdated or something along those lines?
I know there's an in game message saying they are aware of it, good to know, but yeah, that doesn't do much for me.

ChipMHazard
2013-02-02, 02:31 PM
If they are aware of it then it's most probably on their end. Just wait it out.
It's not the first time that there has been "lag" after an update.

RobUK
2013-02-02, 02:40 PM
Just finished downloading, played for half an hour. It's unbearable, getting less than 10 fps at times. Slide show style.

Anyone experiencing this as well? Is this a mistake on their part or are my drivers outdated or something along those lines?
I know there's an in game message saying they are aware of it, good to know, but yeah, that doesn't do much for me.

I'm having serious problems. I have massive frame loss and twice the game has frozen completely leading to the "Planetside 2.exe has stopped working" error which I haven't seen since very early beta.

Prior to today's patch I hadn't had a single problem since release and enjoyed very smooth frame rates and bug free sessions :(

VSderp
2013-02-02, 02:44 PM
i only get lag in certain areas of the map atm wierd

Redshift
2013-02-02, 02:47 PM
it's SOE, they have the midus touch... but instead of turning to gold it turns to shit :P

*patch notes* fixed performance issues
*in game* /facepalm

bjorntju1
2013-02-02, 02:51 PM
I get arond 25 FPS in big fights, even worse than before...

Assist
2013-02-02, 02:53 PM
Yeah I seem to have lower FPS across the board. I have less FPS when I first login to the Warpgate, and in any fights. Rather strange optimization patch, my GTX 680 isn't liking it.

CyclesMcHurtz
2013-02-02, 02:57 PM
We are investigating some different frame rate problems (hiccups, stuttering, lag, whever you would like to call it) right now.

[ well, technically I'm posting on the forums while I'm compiling a change to help track down one of the issues, but I think you get the idea ]

Vashyo
2013-02-02, 02:58 PM
Yup, I get really poor performance myself at ceres hydrophonics or whatever that was called. Especially when I look towards crown.

At times turns into slideshow of epic proportions. :(

ShadetheDruid
2013-02-02, 03:05 PM
I've had one crash and a few patches of low FPS as well. Nothing super serious (at least for me), but it's definitely worse than before. :p

Electrofreak
2013-02-02, 03:19 PM
I'm sure part of the issue is the umpteen-bazillion people logging in to try out the new patch.

Remember, PS2 is usually cpu bound and more players and objects means more work on the cpu.

Palerion
2013-02-02, 03:35 PM
Not only this but my rendering seems worse than before personally. Don't know what's up with it, but people flash in front of me randomly and disappear while I'm aiming at them.

Sunrock
2013-02-02, 03:39 PM
I have the same FPS as before the patch. But I do experience lag. When I say lag I really mean lag and not something else, that is unstable latency between client and server.

Sir B Smythe
2013-02-02, 03:44 PM
Gone from 40 fps to 15, unplayable. What a farce!

Rator
2013-02-02, 03:44 PM
Same problem here, got avg. 40-50 FPS during the game, But if i move to more crowded areas I experience drops to 3 FPS but only for Millisecs every 1-2 Secs. (Monitored via Ingame FPS screen on alt+f) For me its unplayable in the actual state.

Glad to see the Devs are already working on it, and that it gets commmunicated to us, but i hope we'll get more infos how long it may take, till we see a Fix
Greetz

\edited\

Sir B Smythe
2013-02-02, 03:48 PM
Shame they don't use a test server like they did in PS1 to check if the updates they are planning to put out actually work, this one so obviously hasn't :(

bishopau
2013-02-02, 03:57 PM
Reset settings at login to default. Restart client. Relog and try again. I was only on Briggs for 5 minutes but no fps probs.

MFour
2013-02-02, 04:25 PM
I had a lot of FPS problems too, mostly hiccups and occasional drops to slideshow even if I was far from a fight.

ringring
2013-02-02, 04:25 PM
I'm getting reasonable FPS. Occasionally dropping v. low.

However even when I am getting good fps I can experience bad lag and stuttering.

Sir fraggington
2013-02-02, 04:32 PM
I am actually getting better fps.

.....also, miller is unavailable.

EDIT

actually it seems to be available, they just kick me out every time i log on.
for absolutely no good reason.

Mastachief
2013-02-02, 04:37 PM
Shame they don't use a test server like they did in PS1 to check if the updates they are planning to put out actually work, this one so obviously hasn't :(

Woah now be careful you'll upset the kids.

Sprintfox
2013-02-02, 05:27 PM
Hey guys. Currently I'm receiving Error G29 again, from time to time. I can also confirm that heavy stuttering, especially when there is more activity near to me.

Both errors started to happen after todays patch.

Sturmhardt
2013-02-02, 05:50 PM
It's not lag. Lag comes from a bad network connection, what you are talking about is poor performance/FPS. Has nothing to do with lag. People mix those terms up all the time nowadays...

@topic: Deleting my useroptions.ini helped me, but the stutters are still there, but less noticeable.

NewSith
2013-02-02, 05:52 PM
It's not lag. Lag comes from a bad network connection, what you are talking about is poor performance/FPS. Has nothing to do with lag. People mix those terms up all the time nowadays...

Stuttering.

Sturmhardt
2013-02-02, 05:54 PM
In what way you want to describe the loss of FPS is solely up to you.

NewSith
2013-02-02, 05:55 PM
In what way you want to describe the loss of FPS is solely up to you.

Now that's the problem - stuttering has nothing to do with FPS. At least that's what I think.

I'm having an issue where I get 10 seconds with 40 fps and then 1 second with 2 frames and then it goes back to 40 frames per second.

Phantomdestiny
2013-02-02, 05:59 PM
i've went from 50 fps to 75 fps after this patch. (playing on 1080p everything high except textures ultra changed ini file) and the game was perfectly stable . playing on miller btw

Sturmhardt
2013-02-02, 06:08 PM
Now that's the problem - stuttering has nothing to do with FPS. At least that's what I think.

I'm having an issue where I get 10 seconds with 40 fps and then 1 second with 2 frames and then it goes back to 40 frames per second.

You say it doesn't have anything to do with fps, yet you describe it with fps... I would say something about that can't be right ;)

.sent via phone.

NewSith
2013-02-02, 06:10 PM
You say it doesn't have anything to do with fps, yet you describe it with fps... I would say something about that can't be right ;)

.sent via phone.

That's purely because I weant it to be as illustrative as possible. Just as a sidenote - my fps-meter shows 40 during the entire event.

Sprintfox
2013-02-02, 06:25 PM
i've went from 50 fps to 75 fps after this patch. (playing on 1080p everything high except textures ultra changed ini file) and the game was perfectly stable . playing on miller btw

What kind of graphic card do you have? NVIDIA or AMD/ATI?

The Jamhead
2013-02-02, 06:54 PM
I'm getting the graphical stuttering (which I didnt have before), along with the "world disappearing" flickering issue (which I did). Had the flickering twice inside of 20 minutes, both times eventually caused the game to hang. I can usually play through the flicker and it resets itself, but after GU2 it seems to definitely be worse.

FPS for me is up from an average of 30 to an average of 40. Heavily populated areas seem to drop no lower than 25, whereas before it did really suffer.

Dokran
2013-02-02, 07:46 PM
Same as others, unplayable at the moment, to many stuttering + unlimited amount of flickering to the point of shut down the game and restart, now i just stop playing due the state of prolonged rage i was entering.

Game was working for me very well before GU2 now I´m having like 5 fps or even less in heavy load, with all in low and render to 3k.

I´m ATI graphic card user.

MaxDamage
2013-02-02, 07:47 PM
Playing fantastic atm, better than ever.

haisho
2013-02-02, 08:18 PM
For the most part, better performance on my potato, except for ONE location.

Regent Rock Garrison. For some reason, I dip down to a single frame. One.
I know I'm already crazy for running PS2 on a barely-under minimum req potato, but...really? One?

Zochie
2013-02-02, 08:33 PM
Hey. Everyone has got the Problems also we in Germany. Only thing what we can do waiting.

Thunderhawk
2013-02-02, 08:44 PM

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not ;)

Rolfski
2013-02-02, 08:56 PM
Stuttering is insane atm, not sure what's causing it.

Sprintfox
2013-02-02, 08:59 PM

What graphic card do you have?

Rolfski
2013-02-02, 09:45 PM
I just switched from prime-time Miller to prime time Mattherson: Miller = unplayable, Mattherson seems to be fine.

Beerbeer
2013-02-02, 10:36 PM
My performance took a gigantic, and I mean huge, nosedive as well. It's almost unplayable and I've always had low settings.

Rolfski
2013-02-03, 04:24 AM
Connery gave me a lot of lag and the hotfix didn't seem to improve it. So far the overall performance has been worse compared to pre-patch. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon

Sir B Smythe
2013-02-03, 05:11 AM
Woah now be careful you'll upset the kids.

Damn I forgot your not supposed to mention the war..... I mean PS1, sorry kids :lol:

SeraphC
2013-02-03, 05:51 AM
The patch seems to have improved things a little (or maybe it's just the low server loads). However I'm still having the weirdest things happen to me. Some examples:

-Vanguard main cannon firing blanks.
-Hostiles popping up in one place then blinking off screen and appearing somewhere else the next moment.

Still far from an enjoyable experience. They should test these patches on a test server, on a wide range of machines.

Figment
2013-02-03, 05:53 AM
I have no issues with fps drops whatsoever, nor firing blanks. Several other members in my outfit have experienced the aforementioned issues a lot though. We all have had frequent disconnections however.

Sprintfox
2013-02-03, 06:50 AM
Those who HAVE NO ISSUES - please share your graphic card!

Edit: Well, at least it seems to be that both, NVIDIA and AMD/ATI have the same problem. Otherwise, currently it seems to affect the most models, while other specific models seem to work fine, experiencing a "huge" improvement.

Probably server-side problem?

moonshake
2013-02-03, 07:09 AM
Those who HAVE NO ISSUES - please share your graphic card!

Edit: Well, at least it seems to be that both, NVIDIA and AMD/ATI have the same problem. Otherwise, currently it seems to affect the most models, while other specific models seem to work fine, experiencing a "huge" improvement.

Probably server-side problem?

Seems like a server problem. I haven't had fps problems but a lot of other issues, I.e. server disconnects, players blinking in and out, uncappable bases. I'm running an Intel 3770k, 16 gb Corsair Vengeance ram, Gigabyte g1 sniper 3 mb, Samsung 840 pro 512 gb ssd, and GeForce 680 superclocked + graphics card. Shouldn't have any issues with my build.

Sprintfox
2013-02-03, 07:11 AM
Seems like a server problem. I haven't had fps problems but a lot of other issues, I.e. server disconnects, players blinking in and out, uncappable bases. I'm running an Intel 3770k, 16 gb Corsair Vengeance ram, Gigabyte g1 sniper 3 mb, Samsung 840 pro 512 gb ssd, and GeForce 680 superclocked + graphics card. Shouldn't have any issues with my build.

Did you also experienced Error G29 aka "Malfunction"?

Dougnifico
2013-02-03, 07:57 AM
Yup. My frames got annihilated. Slide show here as well.

PredatorFour
2013-02-03, 08:54 AM
I never lagged before, all that time of playing and now i get some lag in busy areas. Noticed the game appears to be sharper though but dunno if thats just me lol (everything on + high)

Thunderhawk
2013-02-03, 09:05 AM
I tried this fix and it seems to have worked:-

In your Useroptions.ini file, if you deleted it and allowed the game to create a new one, open it up and look for the MaximumFPS parameter.

It's set to 1000 for me, I set it to something less ridiculous like 60, and all of a sudden the stutter disappeared.

YMMV

Sprintfox
2013-02-03, 09:18 AM

In your Useroptions.ini file, if you deleted it and allowed the game to create a new one, open it up and look for the MaximumFPS parameter.

It's set to 1000 for me, I set it to something less ridiculous like 60, and all of a sudden the stutter disappeared.

YMMV

Gonna try this. I've tried it yesterday setting my maxfps to 120... but nothing changed. So I'll try to set them on 60.

Beerbeer
2013-02-03, 10:13 AM
Just speculating, but the game seems to be rendering stuff outside my view. I'll drive up to a contested base, be fine FPS-wise, then stutter city yet I cannot see anyone yet. I'll be a couple hundred yards out (or more) and if there's a lot if activity, I cannot play, at all. Sideshow.

Ati graphics card, btw, if that helps.

Tatwi
2013-02-03, 10:14 AM
It's weird. The FPS meter will show 30fps, but the screen will "chug" or start and stop repeatedly while moving (on foot) or just panning the camera left to right. This is a new problem for me and all the old problems are still there. Patch got "optimization" wrong. SOE needs to hire a savant for a month or two to fix their forgelight engine or it will be the death of this company. Really. Other games simply function light years better.

SeraphC
2013-02-03, 10:51 AM

YMMV

Tried this. The MAXFPS was 250. I changed it down to 60 as suggested. I also did some other tweaks such as limiting the render distance to the max I needed (4500 for now).

It seems to have cleared up infantry combat entirely. I don't know if this is because of the changes or because there's simply less vehicles around in the fights I've had.
I still lag in and around vehicles though. They were a cause of lag before (in large quantities), now a few do they trick.

Beerbeer
2013-02-03, 12:41 PM
I tried everything and I still have major problems.

It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does, the game is unplayable.

Talk about the great irony: they finally release what sounds like a great patch that makes want to play again and here I am, kind of unable to enjoy myself because of the stuttering.

Hamma
2013-02-03, 01:07 PM
Tons of random slowdowns here.

Thunderhawk
2013-02-03, 02:09 PM
Yep I started getting stutter again even after all the changes, was when it was a threeway so lots and lots of people it was ridiculous.

But...... FPS kep alternating between 60->10->70->15->65->10, etc.....

They really ought to fix several high priority things as its getting tedious now.

1. Stuttering when trying to implement the PS2 new LOS code they are using, please ask your "developers" to look at the code again because quite frankly its bad, and cannot handle large amounts of people.

(It works for small groups though)

2. Prowlers + vanguards + Lightnings Main turret doesnt fire.

3. Whilst flying the ESF certain angles make you unable to fire or your bullets/rockets do 0 damage.

Twasta
2013-02-03, 02:14 PM
You might try to lower the render distance in the graphics settings. Might be that your PC comes to a grinding halt because it suddenly has to get hundreds of infantry men, tanks, planes, foliage etc. onto the screen when you approach larger battles.

I personaly have only experienced slowdowns post-patch whenever I get close to heavily contested areas.

Assist
2013-02-03, 02:25 PM
Game is now unplayable for me. I played for ~3 hours this morning no problem. Now I crash after 10-15 minutes of combat. Game gets real choppy, then CTD. Just crashed 3 times in the past 10 minutes trying to play at Ceres Hydro, seems that area is by far the worse.

Patch is nice in general, I like a lot of what they did. But it is so incredibly buggy right now it's not worth playing till it's fixed imo ;\

Tank shells not working at all today was an interesting one. Grenades doing damage through walls. The choppy-ness of so many weapons, especially when using the jetpack it looks like I'm having a seizure. ADS screwed up for me with a lot of weapons(never actually look through the scope, just at the back of it). Render distance issues are worse than before, IMO. Infil's not being seen by the IR scopes.. just too much to not end up being effected every single spawn by one of the tens of bugs they implemented with the patch.

They really need a test server.

Thunderhawk
2013-02-03, 04:33 PM
They kinda need to roll back this patch and do it again.............shuffle the Road map an extra Month down the road and Do this patch again as the February patch, and take all of February to fix.

I really wouldn't mind, you could even do double XP during the next patch to say "sorry"

WUNDERBAR
2013-02-03, 04:47 PM
I get slowdowns and lag sometimes even regardless of FPS (no it is not my internet). Even when the game runs at 50-60 FPS and there's no significant drops it feels laggy every now and again. I also get the occasional drops to 20-10 and sometimes even lower though. Then again, I was finally able to turn up my GFX settings since my overall performance (outsides of large battles) certainly increased

Maniya
2013-02-03, 06:39 PM
Same, some places are ok, even with huge zergs around, but at some places, FPS drops to 10 ~ 5, then i go re deploy or else log off. Some people mentioned about Render distance settings so i tried to play around with it few times but doesn't work at all to get thing improve.

Gunslingerklaus
2013-02-03, 08:25 PM
for me it helped a little bit to start the game, switch into task manager and turned in the processes the Priority from the planetside2.exe from normal to realtime...i hope it helpes somebody too

SithHunter
2013-02-03, 11:14 PM
I'm in the same boat. After the big patch my game performance has gone to hell in a handbasket.