PDA

View Full Version : Revamp Old Weapon Models, Sounds, and Animations. Please.

Palerion
2013-02-03, 02:29 PM
So, I've heard that SOE's "badassification" only applies to SMGs and weapons created after that.

Honestly, this is unacceptable.

That's like shipping a modern FPS with a bunch of M4 variants as weapons, then only making weapons in expansion packs look, sound, and feel different.

Now, the SMGs' animations, models, sounds, are beautiful. You can see the weapon kick backwards (not just the sight) when you are ADS firing, the sound is appealing and sounds lethal (like ALL weapons should), and the model is sleek, detailed, and more than just a rifle covered in blue, purple, or red.

The old weapons must be revamped. They can't be left behind.

Regardless of whether or not the revamp gives SOE revenue, the weapons are just cheesy right now. If you want it from a money standpoint: it's a turn off for new players.

Every weapon should be just as high quality as those SMGs.

Dreadnaut
2013-02-03, 02:31 PM
So, I've heard that SOE's "badassification" only applies to SMGs and weapons created after that.

Unacceptable for a F2P game? I think you got your wires crossed here friend.

ShadetheDruid
2013-02-03, 02:47 PM
They've clarified this about 5 times now, they are going to do it, but it's not a priority project. Meaning they'll slot in the changes, in batches, when they get the chance (I imagine this means in between major projects or something).

Palerion
2013-02-03, 03:03 PM
They've clarified this about 5 times now, they are going to do it, but it's not a priority project. Meaning they'll slot in the changes, in batches, when they get the chance (I imagine this means in between major projects or something).

I think I missed them clarifying it then.

Where have you seen this?

Even so it seems that it should be a higher priority project than some of the absolutely unnecessary, unrequested changes they make.
Unacceptable for a F2P game? I think you got your wires crossed here friend.

You can easily get 60 bucks worth in station cash into this game.

F2P can't be used as an excuse for everything.

They have time to make lots of changes that nobody even asks for.

I would imagine they have time for something like this.

SturmovikDrakon
2013-02-03, 04:09 PM
T. Ray said in an interview wih Hamma, and then in a thread, that they will revise old weapons when they have the chance.

But currently they are already tweaking a few old weapons to be different. The default weapons for the TR/NC engineer (or medic?) have new reload animations when the chamber/mag is empty and there are new weapon sounds for the Carv and GD-7F in addition to others

Palerion
2013-02-03, 04:16 PM
T. Ray said in an interview wih Hamma, and then in a thread, that they will revise old weapons when they have the chance.

But currently they are already tweaking a few old weapons to be different. The default weapons for the TR/NC engineer (or medic?) have new reload animations when the chamber/mag is empty and there are new weapon sounds for the Carv and GD-7F in addition to others

Ah, good. Well I hope they put it on a higher priority.

It is important. I think TR carbines overall need a recoil change and sound change.

I mean, they sound stupid.

I hope they try to make the TR weapons more clearly fire bullets, and the NC guns more clearly fire electromagnetic projectiles.

CrazEpharmacist
2013-02-04, 02:21 AM

Ermm if I recall correctly Tray said in that interview the FNO devs were misinformed. They are not going to be going back and re-doing old weapons. He said that they most likely will change a few textures/animations here and there sparingly but nothing major like the smgs.

Mutant
2013-02-04, 03:01 AM
The last patch did include a few minor updates for old weapons, I noticed the sounds of a few TR guns are now more distinctive.

Stellarthief
2013-02-04, 04:02 AM
Don't care about models unless they are going to optimize them so my game runs better.

I don't pay attention to how people look as I don't stand around in a cantina drinking.. I am out there fighting and not playing dress up.

The sounds are a bit more important. Mostly though they need to continue to fix the crap sound mashups that cause lag to people with onboard/weak sound cards or simply cause crashes and freezes.

I would prefer first for them to work out the kinks in the game animations, sounds, etc. and add more options like sound quality slider before they concentrate on cosmetic stuff.

Hamma
2013-02-04, 08:29 AM
This has been beaten to death:

AGN PlanetSide 2 Instant Action: UES Interview with Tramell Isaac - YouTube

What he said in that video isn't going to change anytime soon imo. You have to remember, the artists are busy building new continents.. that's a shitload of art.

MrBloodworth
2013-02-04, 09:24 AM

Its completely acceptable, and practical.

SturmovikDrakon
2013-02-04, 10:25 AM
Ermm if I recall correctly Tray said in that interview the FNO devs were misinformed. They are not going to be going back and re-doing old weapons. He said that they most likely will change a few textures/animations here and there sparingly but nothing major like the smgs.

I didn't say that. I said we are not officially assigned the task of redoing the guns. We will be going back to work on some older assets time willing.

Like I said, whenever they get the chance and time.

AThreatToYou
2013-02-04, 03:10 PM
A couple weapons have been changed iirc. New weapon sounds and animations were applied to a few NC weapons that I know of, such as the AC-X11 and GD-7F (the two most extreme carbines in the game).

Palerion
2013-02-04, 09:26 PM
Its completely acceptable, and practical.

Thank you for emphasizing the already stated fact that that was an overboard comment.

Anyway, my apologies that the post was slightly uninformed.

My question is more as to if this will ever become a higher priority.

I personally think the looks and sounds of the weapon you fire plays an important role in the combat aspect of the game, not just "playing dress up".

I understand lots of artist work is being invested into continents, and that is important, but the weapons on are screen are (and, this is strictly in my opinion) equally as important.

Sifer2
2013-02-05, 02:14 AM
It really should be done when they have time for it. It was pretty disappointing to see most all guns looking the same. Even Carbines/LMG's look almost the same in many cases. Especially since this game makes money off weapon sales. The stats only vary slightly on many of the guns so making them look different would make people more likely to purchase them just cause they like how they look.

Rolfski
2013-02-05, 08:46 AM
I agree that badassification of the current weapon arsenal could use more priority. These are the guns we currently use and improvement of their look and feel does way more for improving the overall game experience than the introduction of some generic spin-off gun nobody is waiting for.

In other words: I'd rather have my go-to carbine LC2 Lynx feel and sound like a killing machine (vs the pea shooter it resembles now) than have an uninspiring and completely redundant pump action shotgun introduced into the game.

ShadetheDruid
2013-02-05, 09:10 AM
I think we're more likely to get new sounds for weapons than we are new visuals, considering the art/animation peoples are tied up doing new continents but the sound people likely have more time to go back and redo stuff.

I could be (probably am :p ) wrong though.

MercDT
2013-02-05, 04:44 PM
https://twitter.com/PS_TRay/status/298459829909979136

Well, just thought I'd leave this here. Pretty disappointing.

Sifer2
2013-02-05, 11:02 PM
He may have misspoke but a badassification pass on LMG/Carbines that people use 90% of the time is a good idea anyway. I imagine T-Ray is just trying to cool down people's hopes cause he knows it means a whole lot more work for him if they do end up having to do it heh. :D

Cronoc
2013-02-06, 04:45 AM
Weapons definitely need another art pass. It will make the game feel better, provide more reasons for people to buy weapons ("I use it cause it looks/sounds cool") and help in marketing the game to new players ("look at the variety of weapons!").

Hamma
2013-02-06, 08:46 AM
We asked him about it here as well..

AGN PlanetSide 2 Instant Action: UES Interview with Tramell Isaac - YouTube

How many times must I link this? :lol: He said they will go back and look at old weapons in time but it's not something happening actively.