PDA

View Full Version : Getting new ram

Bags
2013-03-02, 11:47 AM
Hey I got another 8gb to go with my current 8gb because when running a game like Skyrim with all my mods I frequently hit 7.5+ gb of usage with FF/skype/steam running at the same time.

Anyway, I got ram with the same voltage timings and speeds. My question is since my mobo has a habit of setting my rams' timings to 11-11-11-28 instead of the 9-9-9-24 that the ram says it is (I had to manually change it in the mobo settings), will I have to change it for the new ram I'm adding or should it put the new ram at the same speed as my old ram?

I don't wanna boot past bios and have some issue because my old ram is at 9-9... and the new ram gets automatically placed at worse timings because of my mobo.

ChipMHazard
2013-03-02, 12:57 PM
The BIOS not always being correct when it comes to RAM is probably fairly normal, mine didn't reocognize the clock speed as being 1600.
I don't see why it would revert your changes, unless it defaults because of a problem, the BIOS uses the settings that you've told it to use. As long as your RAM is just more of the same you shouldn't have any issues, I never have. If you really want to be sure just boot up the BIOS and check:p

Bags
2013-03-02, 03:09 PM
Yeah I might do that. and I checked, 100% the same, different brand is all.

thanks.

Ailos
2013-03-04, 01:00 AM
It probably will kick your timings back to the lowest common denominator, but just the same, set the timings right again, and they should stick. Something that might help keeping the settings tight: put the sticks in such that they're identical per channel (i.e. if your slots are 1A 2B 3A 4B, have the 1&3 As and 2&4 Bs be the same brand) - sometimes the hardware IDs (which differ manufacturer to manufacturer) can befuddle an older BIOS.

Bags
2013-03-04, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I already have my two current sticks in 1/3 or 2/4, not sure the #s on the slots would have to check mobo guide for that.

Whalenator
2013-03-06, 08:42 PM
2/4 works best in most mobos for both space and speed.
Also... Hi Bags.

Silent Thunder
2013-03-06, 08:48 PM
Wait did you say old AND new ram? Because that right there might be the problem. Using diffrent types of RAM means the computer needs to default to the lowest common denominator of the sticks.

Bags
2013-03-06, 10:12 PM
Wait did you say old AND new ram? Because that right there might be the problem. Using diffrent types of RAM means the computer needs to default to the lowest common denominator of the sticks.

same voltage, same speed, same size, so now I have 4 x 4GB of DDR3 @ 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24