PDA

View Full Version : New Intel Rig

Greenthy
2013-04-28, 05:56 AM
Hey,

I was asking for some upgrade advice here earlier, but I've settled on buying a new machine.
I know nvidia and intel are comming with new products, but apperantly they're only minor upgrades. Unless they are really worth it, I would prefer not to partake in the eternal hardware waiting game.

Sticky template:
1. Are you building this computer yourself or having one built for you (Like HP, Alienware, or even a small shop)?
I would build this myself, this would be my second PC build.
2. What is your budget and does that include shipping/taxes?
A 1900 euro or something (warning: Belgium is expensive : alternate.be)
3. Where do you live (Please list town, state, and country)?
Belgium
4. What do you need this computer to do (like gaming, Photoshop, and so on)?
Planetside 2 beast
5. What parts will you need for the computer? List what parts specifically, saying you need everything will not do.
Everything :)
6. Are you reusing any parts for this computer? If so say what parts (make and model).
Fresh build
7. What kind of monitor/resolution do you have or want to get to use for the computer?
Dell U2713HM (2560x1440)
8. Do you have already have a OS or do you need one? What OS is that?
Nope, buying a windows 7 x64 OEM with this.
9. What are you looking for the motherboard to have feature wise? Like SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, USB 3.0, Sata 6.0 Gb/s, and so on.
Ofcourse all the essential controlers (sata 600, usb 3, ...) and possible SLI upgrade later.
10. Any plans to overclock the CPU or GPU?
Yes both
11. What time kind of time frame are you planning on ordering these parts?
Next couple of days

System I have in mind:

CASE: Corsair C70
PSU: Corsair HX650
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H (rev. 1.0)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K FC-LGA4
Cooler: Corsair H110
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600
GPU: ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5
SSD: Samsung MZ-7PD128BW (SATA 600, 840 Pro Serie, MLC-Chips, Trim)
HDD: Western Digital WD2002FAEX 2 TB (SATA 600, Black)
Optical: LG BH10LS38

Fans Cooler: (2x 140mm) Noctua NF-A14 FLX x2 OUT
Fans Rear: (1x 120mm) Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 x1 OUT
Fans Front: (2x 120mm) Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 x1 IN
Fans Side: (2x 120mm/140mm) Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 x1 IN
Fans Bottom: (2x 120mm/140mm) Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 x1 IN

Fans zou me het volgende moeten geven:
IN: 355.2 m³/h
OUT: 349.4 m³/h
NOISE: ~26-27dB

Goku
2013-04-28, 02:21 PM
Your current selection looks pretty good. I recommend however upgrading that SSD to a larger size, 250GB at least. You will run of out space real quick. If your budget isn't allowing that take out the 16GB to 8GB and down that H110 to possibly just a better tower cooler.

I still haven't seen anything official on the 700 series coming next month. Though if it does you probably could get the GTX 770 (basically a GTX 680 according to rumors) probably for a similar price to that 670 you want. You would notice the difference there I am sure of, haswell probably not.

Rbstr
2013-04-28, 05:19 PM
Yeah it'll certainly be worth the wait on the new nVidia cards (assume the rumors are trueish). You'll see the 670 and 680 getting a good deal cheaper at the very least.

Sentrosi
2013-04-29, 12:20 PM
So is the current thought being Haswell won't do much better than the Ivy Bridge chips moving forward with PS2? Because I'm going to miss out on the great 3570K/Z77 deal Newegg has up til tomorrow.

Rbstr
2013-04-29, 02:46 PM
Can't really tell until it's out.

Chances are the process will be a bit more mature than Ivy so it'll overclock somewhat better.
It'll probably be 5-15% faster at any given clock rate. In terms of frame rates...I'd say you'll see somewhat less than those numbers in improvement.

If it's a screaming deal and you want to just get it over with, I doubt Haswell is going to blow your pants off.

Goku
2013-04-29, 05:36 PM
So is the current thought being Haswell won't do much better than the Ivy Bridge chips moving forward with PS2? Because I'm going to miss out on the great 3570K/Z77 deal Newegg has up til tomorrow.

All the leaks I've seen it like only 5% to 10% better, seems to be more around 5% too. I'm really doubting people will notice any difference vs Sandy Bridge, let alone Ivy Bridge.

If you really want that combo you are mentioning go for it IMO.

Greenthy
2013-05-01, 04:35 AM
All the leaks I've seen it like only 5% to 10% better, seems to be more around 5% too. I'm really doubting people will notice any difference vs Sandy Bridge, let alone Ivy Bridge.

If you really want that combo you are mentioning go for it IMO.

Pretty much my reasoning not to wait.
By the time it's out here and the parts are readily available ...

Only downside is the socket change, meaning you won't be able to just plug that haswell CPU (or one of their later ones) in the 1155 sockets.
Not that it's guaranteed that if you get a haswell you'll have that option open to the next upgrade :D

I'd just rather have my PC now and have better frames now, than risk getting bored of the game due to shitty frames.

Same for the nvidia ones, I'll just maybe use the discounted prices to order a second 670 for SLI :)

In the meantime I've ordered the PC so hope all parts are ready soon so I can start building it.

Rbstr
2013-05-01, 09:16 AM
Who cares about sockets?
Nobody should be buying CPUs with such regularity they can stick it in the motherboard they have. Intel changes it every two years when they go to a new architecture and, if you're doing it right, there should be no need for an upgraded CPU before then.
AMD might be on "the same" socket but if you were getting a new FX-8xxx from something older, you want a new motherboard anyway.