View Full Version : Another ATI question...

2003-04-02, 02:39 PM
Piecing together an alienware machine, and I noticed they're offering the 9800 PRO for like $45 more than the 9700 PRO.
Whats the big difference between the 9800 and the 9700? I know...why bother asking if its only $45 right? Well, I'm just trying to get the machine for under $2000, so I'm pinching a few pennies here and there.

2003-04-02, 02:47 PM
From all tests thats been done...

The 9800 is 5% or in some cases, less.

2003-04-02, 02:50 PM
Hmmm....now a bigger question....
How big of a geek am I?
Just priced out a Dell system with the same specs (bigger hard drive too) including a 9700 Pro for like $1400 (after $200 rebate).
Or and alienware machine for about $2000.

Common sense says go with Dell, but....the AW machines look so cool!!!

Any comments on getting an AW over a Dell?

PS - Don't have the time to build my own machine from scratch

2003-04-02, 03:26 PM
If you have to chose between those two, go with Alienware. You can AWLAYS upgrade an AW, but Dell uses proprietary (sp?) parts... which means you can't upgrade certain pieces in the future.

2003-04-02, 03:35 PM
It's worth your time and money (You'll probably save hundreds) to build it yourself.

2003-04-02, 03:37 PM
I concur with Nav on this one.

Alienware machines are supposed to be great for gaming, but they are also very expensive. I saved almost $800 by having Monarch build my computer instead of Alienware.

2003-04-02, 03:54 PM
Building a comp from the ground up, meaning all lose parts to functional OS usually dosn't take more than 4-5 hours... well worht the time and money you save.

But if you don't want to build your own or don't know annyone that knows how to then you can buy the parts and pay a local private buisness (not the electronic chains) to build it for you. Its generally not very costly, costs bout $60 here to have all the hardware and software installed from one of the local shops.

2003-04-02, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into the monarchcomputer.com solution for the time being.
Hey I got till May to decide right?