PDA

View Full Version : PS in PC Gamer

Diviant
2002-12-05, 02:04 PM
I just got my copy of PC Gamer in the mail, and I happened to stumble onto an article on Planetside. I read down a little, after I got out of the shock from the pictures, and something caught my eye. I quote:

"For instance, if you want to be a Sniper, then you should consider Agile Armor, or even a cloaking Infiltration Suit, plus a Bolt Driver (sniper rifle), perhaps a Silent Running implant and a Medical Applicator, and possibly a Wraith (stealth quad-cycle).

Now, I know there's been some speculation about Stealth Snipers and how that would be unbalanced, but this is comming straight from Dave, who PC Gamer quoted.

Edit: Just looked through some more to stumble across some |337 empire adds. Very cool.

Warborn
2002-12-05, 02:16 PM
PC game magazines aren't always accurate. They might have been simply trying to fit as much cool sounding equipment in to get people excited as they could. I seriously doubt the devs would be short-sighted enough to give someone with a long range, highly accurate, high powered weapon the ability to become invisible.

Camping Carl
2002-12-05, 03:51 PM
It's gotta be in response to the CGW thing on planetside. Or perhaps they've realized what a awesome game planetside will be. Have they stopped going on about everquest 2 and star wars galaxies yet?

This has to be said: EVERQUEST 2 IS THE SAME AS EVERQUEST!!!

afex
2002-12-05, 04:38 PM
dave would never say that b/c we all know that stealth suits can't snipe. this has been said time and time again.

pc gamer was just making shit up.

�io
2002-12-05, 05:03 PM
Well like most of the things said on forums this is again unknown. We don't know how the stealth suit will work, if it uses up a battery pack like in Tribes then a stealth sniper wouldn't be much more powerful since he can't stay cloaked forever.

Camping Carl
2002-12-05, 05:05 PM
Wait a sec. any good pics? You didn't say anything about that.

Zarparchior
2002-12-05, 06:41 PM
If snipers can cloak, I quit. :(

Powerflux
2002-12-05, 06:52 PM
Which issue of PC Gamer?

Diviant
2002-12-05, 07:48 PM
Which issue of PC Gamer?

This months.

Wait a sec. any good pics? You didn't say anything about that.

Well, they're O.K. There's a pic of 3 TR guys and 2 TR tanks advancing down an open field, a pic of 2 TR guys and a TR truck taking on a Vanu in what looks to be medium armor and what looks to be a Vanu mosquitos, and a first-person pic of somone taking on 2 NC tanks and an NC light guy.

Camping Carl
2002-12-05, 07:54 PM
I see....nothing interesting then, thnx for telling us tho.

afex
2002-12-05, 08:10 PM
shit that sounds very interesting!

scan em.

Diviant
2002-12-05, 08:13 PM
I don't have a scanner. Poor, deprived me. :(

THrONeBeaST
2002-12-05, 08:57 PM
If no one has got a scanner and scans them , ill go pick up a copy of PC gamer and scan it

CrazyMike
2002-12-05, 11:19 PM
Dave has said in the forums over and over that you can't carry a sniper rifle while wearing a stealth suit. They KNOW it will unballance the game. What would you rather listen to.. direct quotes from dev posts in our forums or an article from a gaming magazine?

CrazyMike

�io
2002-12-05, 11:21 PM
Oooh! ooh! I would rather listen to a post by a dude named Crazymike! ;) :p

And as i said a stealth sniper wouldn't be overpowered if he isn't always cloaked. Anywhoo i doubt the devs will change their mind about it anyway. :)

m0rphiu5
2002-12-06, 07:30 AM
i would have to disagree in that respect.... i sniper with a stealth suit would be all too powerful.

situation X:

Sniper sits in nice position atop a hill or cliff etc, picks off a few people at long range, the remaining people of the squad call in air cover. The sniper spots a mosquito on the horizon, turns on cloak and walks calmly into a nearby forrest and dissapears......

personally i think this would be unfair, even if its only for a short duration, a sniper with cloaking would have a huge advantage if he/she is discovered..... a normal sniper under these circumstances stands a far less chance of survival, an armoured mosquito and battle squad closing on your position.....

Airlift
2002-12-06, 09:31 AM
I concur with morphius. However, I'm willing to change my stance if I get a massive bomber with napalm equivalent so I can carpet bomb the entire area that the sniper is hiding in. Happy cloaking, fellas.

afex
2002-12-06, 12:00 PM
anybody that thinks there is nothing wrong with stealth+sniper is completely ignorant and i hope for all our sake that you don't get selected for beta.

�io
2002-12-06, 01:08 PM
Funny i never heard anybody complain about cloaked snipers in T2.

As for your example m0rph|u5 the cloaking is not a big factor there. The same exact thing could be done without it.

situation X:

Sniper sits in nice position atop a hill or cliff etc, picks off a few people at long range, the remaining people of the squad call in air cover. The mosquito arrives at the location but the sniper is already gone and moved to another spot.

The only real bad thing about having a T2 like setup(very short cloaking) would be that it would allow idiot snipers to surive longer, it makes little difference to smart snipers.

Anyway like i said i doubt the dev's will implement both together and i personally don't mind at all. Just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world either.

afex
2002-12-06, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Dio
Funny i never heard anybody complain about cloaked snipers in T2.

well seeing as how you need an energy pack to snipe in t2, and not a cloak pack, that statement seems pretty damn ignorant to me.

the t2 devs weren't stupid either. they realized that stealth sniping is a dumb idea and shouldn't be allowed.

�io
2002-12-06, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by afex
well seeing as how you need an energy pack to snipe in t2, and not a cloak pack, that statement seems pretty damn ignorant to me.

Dude before mouthing off and saying i'm ignorant at least check the facts. There was more than 1 sniper weapon in T2 and a few that didn't need the energy pack. Instead of spending your time insulting people on these forums try actually responding with something insightful.

Arglaar
2002-12-06, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Dio
Dude before mouthing off and saying i'm ignorant at least check the facts. There was more than 1 sniper weapon in T2 and a few that didn't need the energy pack. Instead of spending your time insulting people on these forums try actually responding with something insightful.

Dio... in Base Tribes 2... (i.e. no mods) the only sniper rifle was the laser rifle and it required an E-Pack to fire. Therefore, you could not snipe with a Cloak pack.

There may have been mods that made new sniper type weapons and let u use them without an e-pack, but I never played them. Perhaps Shifter? or Ninjamod?

Jinxmasta
2002-12-06, 01:42 PM
What were the other snipers? The only others I know of are in mods but most of the mods wouldn't allow people that have cloak packs use any of the snipers.

�io
2002-12-06, 01:45 PM
Yeah i was obviously taking about the mods. The best thing about T2 was the mods, added a lot more flavour.

And i know Ninja had at least one sniper, dunno exactly where i used a sniper type gun with a cloak pack because of the many many mods played but i know i did.

afex
2002-12-06, 01:48 PM
mods :rolleyes:

Unregistered
2002-12-06, 01:56 PM
In Tribes 1 Insomniax (the mod I played) they had the IX2000 sniper rifle that didn't need an e-pack, and you could not see the bullets. It was a true sniper rifle, but to keep it from being imbalenced you only got 3 shots with it before you needed to find a remote Inv/ammo station.

I never played any T2 mods (except B++, but that doesn't really count)

�io
2002-12-06, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by afex
mods :rolleyes:

So are you one of the few who likes Half-life more than Counterstrike or some other mod?? :D

I've never played either but i do know counter strike is probably the most popular game ever. :)

Unregistered
2002-12-06, 02:13 PM
I never have, or never will play CS. I lost to many clan mates to it back in T1, and I hate the game for it. When I need my bomb stoping, terrorist killing fix I'll play SoF2.

Airlift
2002-12-06, 03:19 PM
I'll play SoF2.

or any Tom Clancy game

afex
2002-12-06, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Dio
So are you one of the few who likes Half-life more than Counterstrike or some other mod?? :D

I've never played either but i do know counter strike is probably the most popular game ever. :)

i dont play either, either (or would it be either, also?)

and the sims is the probably the most popular game ever, unfortunately.

�io
2002-12-06, 03:45 PM
Dang i was hopign you played CS, i would have got ya there. :)

And i dunno CS has A LOT of peeps playing even now. Either way i don't really care for either, PS is the only PC game for me right now, maybe Hitman2. :p

afex
2002-12-06, 04:26 PM
hitman 2 is fun, it crashes on me too much, so i stopped playing after a week