PDA

View Full Version : Windows boot question...

BLuE_ZeRO
2003-04-16, 08:18 PM
When I load up my computer for some reason I have two options to choose from. I have the windows XP pro boot up or one that seems to be identical except it says (Backup line) before it. I know for a fact that I only installed one version of windows so I'm wondering how I get rid of this. Any suggestions?

Agent
2003-04-16, 08:41 PM
Did you unpartition and re partition your drives before you installed XP? If you didn't format (unpart, repart) then windows might have made a backup. If you aren't running low on space or anything you could just leave it there as a fail safe. Apparently you have a backup to boot from so consider it good.

If you really want it off you probably have to re-format and re-install windows.

BLuE_ZeRO
2003-04-16, 08:57 PM
Yeah I formatted the drive last week and reinstalled it. Complete reformat.

CDL Full Otto
2003-04-21, 09:13 AM
go to the Root of your C drive (make sure you can see hidden files) and look at the boot.ini file. It will list the 2 lines. It will give you the info you are looking for (as to where the 2nd is pointing)

If it was reformated (NT was bad about this) it sometimes left that in there unless you did a FDISK /MBR

You can remove the 2nd line if you don't need it (BTW the file is write protected so you need to uncheck that before you open it.)

Otto