PDA

View Full Version : D'oh!!!

Nightmare
2003-04-20, 04:16 PM
Terrific, I recently got a new computer, and then I found out about some new technology coming out in a year or so. I suppose everyone here but me has known about DDRII, PCI-Express, and Longhorn. I suppose I'll have to geat a new mobo in a year or so if I want to use these things. :(

Duffman
2003-04-20, 06:01 PM
nope i didnt

Confectrix
2003-04-20, 07:14 PM
Technology is always evolving. Don't sweat it, even if you don't have the best when all that comes out, by no means will you be obsolete.

NoSurrender
2003-04-20, 07:24 PM
no you wont i heard bout it 2

Cyanide
2003-04-20, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Nightmare
Terrific, I recently got a new computer, and then I found out about some new technology coming out in a year or so. I suppose everyone here but me has known about DDRII, PCI-Express, and Longhorn. I suppose I'll have to geat a new mobo in a year or so if I want to use these things. :(

You're lucky if this is the only time that's ever happened to you so get ready for more of it. Technology is ever evolving. It changes faster than you can order your new hardware. Don't let that fool you though. Just because DDRII and PCI-Express are in the works doesn't mean that the switch will be instantaneous once they hit the market. Techonlogy changes fast, that's for sure, but it's almost never implimented at that same pace.

BTW, i hope your new motherboard has Serial ATA cause that's the next step in hard drives and CD-roms.

Sentrosi
2003-04-21, 12:39 AM
Ahhhh, a MaxPC reader as well....

I wouldn't sweat the PCI Express anytime soon though. It'll probably hit most high end server mobos first, then trickle down to us power users next. DDR2 is nice, but once again probably will trickle down to us slowly. Most of this technology will be out of most ppl's pockets for at least 2-3 years. Hell, I'm still waiting for an affordable 60" Flat Screen HDTV. I can't see spending $8500 on one right now. You can buy a Kia for that!

SpaceDrake
2003-04-21, 01:04 AM
And as far as Longhorn goes: unless I'm mistaken, that's the new Windows build. Well, if that includes Palladium, no part of it is ever touching my computer. I refused to be watched like a criminal day and night.

NoSurrender
2003-04-21, 04:51 PM
i also am another Max PC reader i want to see how you can squeeze more fps out of ur system in the soon 2 come out issue

Nightmare
2003-04-21, 05:08 PM
oh, I was just on www.neoseeker.com (best price search engine ever) and I saw a thread about a guy who wanted to buy a new computer, and someone suggested waiting about a year so they can buy a comp with DDRII, and PCI-Express. Sounds like a good mag though ;)

Cyanide
2003-04-21, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by SpaceDrake
And as far as Longhorn goes: unless I'm mistaken, that's the new Windows build. Well, if that includes Palladium, no part of it is ever touching my computer. I refused to be watched like a criminal day and night.

Yes, "Longhorn" is the code name for the next version of windows. It very well could have palladium but the biggest part of palladium is the hardware. Which is Intels doing. I think that palladium is reason number 362 for admitting bill gates to a mental instatution to be treated for severe paranoia. Seriously, the guy must snort a lot of crack. I mean, he's skinny as hell, his eyes are buldgy and he thinks everyone is out to get hime. Weather palladium actually flies or not remains to be seen. It may end up being confined to big servers. The privacy violations behind that stuff boggle the mind. It's as if MS and Intel think you're renting their product instead of buying it. If I buy something it is MINE and i should be able to do what i want with it. Palladium could be the big break the Linux developers have been waiting for.

One good thing about longhorn is that it will support the new 64bit opteron chips from AMD which will be a VERY good thing. I heard somewhere that Intel is not planing to release 64bit chips to the consumer market until 2007, which is about as stupid a thing as i've ever heard. AMD will gain HUGE market share if they're producing chips that handle both 64bit and 32 bit apps with hardware and Intel is still only supporting 32 bit apps. Oh yeah, and the Intel 64bit chips have to use software emulation to run virtually ALL of todays current apps.