PDA

View Full Version : Installing Card on Laptop

snowwolfe
2003-05-01, 06:51 PM
Anybody know how to install a GEForce2 AGP Graphics card into a laptop? Sorry for the n00b tech question.

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-05-01, 07:01 PM
99% sure Laptops use special video cards that are actually much smaller, so I am not sure if a normal video card can even be installed on laptop. Even if it could, I am not sure how/if you can do laptop upgrades by hand. :(

snowwolfe
2003-05-01, 07:04 PM
Thanks for reply, but I just talked to my bro and says his buddy will hook us up with a good 1 (not sure what kind) for laptops in my budget and will install it for us for free. Thanks anyway dude, and any repkys would still be greatly appriciated from you people that have updated your cards in your laptops before. Thanks.

Trebor95
2003-05-01, 07:59 PM
it is 100% impossible to install a card (PCI/AGP) into a laptop, they have no slots, as all the components are soldered onto a main board.

So you are basically 99% not able to upgrade your gfx card.

Laptops simply do not support AGP cards nor any type of internal upgrade (apart from maybe HDD and Ram)

Daleon
2003-05-02, 01:13 PM
Ok, it is ALMOST impossible to upgrade laptop video. There is defintely no way to put an AGP/PCI video card into a laptop.

Now some of the newer Dell laptops with the Geforece2Go chips use a kind of universal socket that nvidia uses for their mobile chips. Ppl have been able to upgrade some of these to newer Geforce2Go's. But they had to call and order them from Dell.

So unless you happen to have one of these laptops, the guy your brother is talking to doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

snowwolfe
2003-05-02, 07:49 PM
Well he only talked to the guy today and got the same response out of him as you guys, but thanks anyways. I have a new game plan.