PDA

View Full Version : Skins?? why not....

Magneto
2003-05-16, 02:24 PM
i think they should allow people to make skins for planetside
i mean why not they could handle it like tribes 2 did where u have to have the skin inorder to see someone wearing that skin and SOE would provide all the models to skin!
no model changing just there skins

and say if u dont have the skin im wearing then u just see me as a normal TR soldier

that would be awsome and it would make for more custimazation of your characters and good for outfits to!!

i dont see anything wrong wit skins being in the game
they would just add more to it

wut do yall think????

Warborn
2003-05-16, 02:32 PM
1) Harder to tell friend from foe due to crazy skins. TR people could look like anything, for example. They could even be reskinned to look like NC, with blue and yellow as their colours.

2) Hard to moderate it.

3) Everyone would have to download the skins when they're added to the game. You'd be downloading skins left right and center.

Jarlo
2003-05-16, 02:53 PM
200-300 people ALL with different custom textures would blow up your video card.

Revolver
2003-05-16, 03:17 PM
It's too easy to exploit. Sum1 could just reskin every enemy bright orange so s/he could see enemies better. And if they released the models to the public, there would be no way to moderate it. As a person could just do it him/herself and put it on his/her computer, and leave enemies mystified as to how they were seen by a reaver flying 400m above the ground

RedDragon
2003-05-16, 03:28 PM
Skins are used for personal use, it wouldn't display on someone else's comp screen dude... just on the person's comp that set up the skin, it would be impossible for a skin to show up on another person's screen without the skin being downloaded and set up first.

Trebor95
2003-05-16, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by RedDragon
Skins are used for personal use, it wouldn't display on someone else's comp screen dude... just on the person's comp that set up the skin, it would be impossible for a skin to show up on another person's screen without the skin being downloaded and set up first.

opens the door for cheats though. Keep the basic elements locked down client side.

Warborn
2003-05-16, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Trebor95
opens the door for cheats though. Keep the basic elements locked down client side.

^

PapaRoach
2003-05-16, 04:04 PM
You could do it the skin files are proboly incrypted you would just have the write a image viewer that could export and import the image files would proboly be alot of work but still could be done.

Peace
PapaRoach

Matuse
2003-05-16, 04:44 PM
Encrypting the skin files, which would take a lot of time from the programmers who have MUCH more important things to worry about in the game, would take under a week for the players to crack...and the potential for cheating is staggering.

There also isn't any kind of tangible benefit.

Hamma
2003-05-16, 06:51 PM
cheats

:p

OneManArmy
2003-05-16, 06:53 PM
thats the whole point of me paying 13 bucks a month for a FPS, I dont want you F$*^( lamers pissing around with my game, I am paying for structure, rules, order, I am paying so that I know there is always a place for me to jump in and have a good time free(mostly) of idiots and cheaters...

Shaftt
2003-05-16, 07:50 PM
heh i think it would be funny to make all enemies a bright orange :p but it would get kinda of stupid after a while heh

LeonStrike
2003-05-16, 07:54 PM
Skins are only for smaller FPSs, not MMO's. Cheats, lag, and tons of other things will happen if they let you make custom skins. Although it is fun running around as an ewok(fuzzy teddy bears in star wars) with a rocket launcher in Elite Force...........:D

Magneto
2003-05-16, 10:07 PM
wut how would u get cheats from just makin skins??/
your not editing the models your just changing the skins
and like t2 u have to have the skin inorder to see it
which means if the enemy soldier is wearing a skin to make him look like u guys u would have to have that skin first to make the mistake (and dont forget the giant RED name above the character)

i still dont see how makin skins will open ways for cheats i mean it never happed in t2

just opening the code to skins doesnt open up the code to all the crucial files it just changes wut u look like

plz explain how chaging a skin will allow cheats??

OneManArmy
2003-05-20, 01:22 PM
well, for one example I can make all vanu bright yellow or something so its real easy to spot them no matter where they are..

Dingo
2003-05-20, 01:50 PM
hey i think i remember reading something a dev said that it would cause to much lag and whatnot.

Demdadar
2003-05-20, 02:16 PM
Well . About making your custom skins really can be considering like cheating . You really don't perjudicate the others but anyway ... And yes , that opens the door to cheating , like make all the NC more bright or completely black etc.

A good idea would be that sony releases it's own pack of skins ( with 2 or 3 new skins ) and you download them from an optional patch .

:o waiting for Planetside ... This is an inferno

Revolver
2003-05-20, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by RedDragon
Skins are used for personal use, it wouldn't display on someone else's comp screen dude... just on the person's comp that set up the skin, it would be impossible for a skin to show up on another person's screen without the skin being downloaded and set up first. I know. et me put it this way: I make all the enemy skins on MY computer orange in my view. so now I (on MY computer) have an advantage over the enemy when it comes to spotting enemies.