Outfit Bases are a Long Term Goal - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because we care
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-05, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Re: Outfit Bases are a Long Term Goal

Haha, we need an "Old Guard" region for VS East
Old 2012-03-05, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

While it can sound exciting, I am not sure if it's a good idea to implement. It will really depend on how PS2 gameplay will be/evolve.

Making a good large-scale, fun and balanced FPS is enough of a goal for PS2.

Adding mechanics that will improve the game (rather than stroke egos) is a good thing.

Adding stuff for the sake of adding things people fantasize about is one step towards EQ angel and demon wings on your characters.

BFRs were a cool idea yet many consider it to have been a disasted for PS.

Outfit bases/outposts ? Sounds cool but I do not think it is a good idea. It could very well break empire effort and turn it into empire in-fighting.

Now room for barracks in the empire safe-zones or isolated instanced sanctuaries to chill-out, why not.

EDIT: maybe a system where any outfit can proclaim itself defender of a base in exchange for special benefits while the base is controlled by your empire, why not either. It's as good as saying it's your base.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-03-05 at 11:44 AM.
Old 2012-03-05, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
UnknownDT
Sergeant

Mekala all the way.
Old 2012-03-05, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Garem
Sergeant

There are big problems, especially with geography and terraforming to take into account... this would take a lot longer than a much cooler idea- outfit AIRSHIPS.

Making a poll now.
Old 2012-03-05, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ragotag
Corporal

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
Interesting concept... Outfit bases, first come first served with the necessary resources... Would they be destructible?
What if Outfit bases required resources to maintain or else they go into disrepair and eventually nano-disolve? The larger the outfit the more resources that are required to maintain the Outfit base. The resources could then come from the Outfit members (players), sort of like a resource tax. Outfits that do not succeed or can't maintain an active membership would eventually be unable to maintain a deployed base.

Last edited by Ragotag; 2012-03-05 at 12:52 PM.
Old 2012-03-05, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sirisian
Colonel

I'd need to see how they'd be implemented. Planetside's battles will presumably be moving across the map so regions of the map might not be touched for a while. If someone "deployed" an outfit base it sounds like they'd be forced to defend it so they'd probably only be deployed in the middle of battle in specific areas a faction controls.

Not really a fan of the idea overall. Sounds almost as bad as the outfit housing idea Graywolves made.

However, if they mean like deploying small bunkers or wall emplacements then go for it. That kind of stuff would be cool to see on the battlefield assuming it's destructible. Not sure if anyone has played the game Savage 1 or 2, but it was an FPS/RPG mix where players could build. (Kind of like Sony's new Starhawk game).

Would be nice if it was class based system for RTS type construction where each class has things they can spend outfit resources on (if they are granted that ability by their outfit). For instance, if engineers could build a bunker or k-rail facing a certain direction to use as cover. Then have for instance a sniper perch for an infiltrator to use (small tower with a ladder). Then let medics call in healing pads on the battlefield. (for instance behind an engineers bunker). Lot of ideas there rather than focusing on a large base. That is you could build a base from smaller parts to defend an area.

// edit basically they should focus on things to build a front line to defend or push. Not some static huge cost base which gets deserted as soon as the battle moves on. Ideally anything built could be deconstructed in an instant if it's at full health for part or all of the resources back.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-05 at 01:17 PM.
Old 2012-03-05, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I hope that its as awesome as Hayoo's concept:

http://www.planetside-idealab.com/obconcepts.htm
Old 2012-03-05, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Mirror
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by UnknownDT View Post
No one will touch our outfit base. No one.
You mean Dagda?

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-03-05, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

As long as outfit bases are separate from actual bases on the continents people routinely fight over it'd be fine. It's always the case that, as in games that Mythic did, having ownership tied to territory which changes hands several times a day in most cases is a wasted effort. There's really very little sense of actual ownership when the base you've laid claim to will invariably be taken from your control, without your outfit being able to do much about it, within a day or two at best.
Old 2012-03-05, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Would much rather have an Outfit HART. Considering how there aren't any Sanctuaries.
Old 2012-03-05, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Graywolves
General

I'm a little indifferent.
Old 2012-03-05, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

As much as I like the idea of the outfit bases I don't see them fitting into the game.
Old 2012-03-05, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
UnknownDT
Sergeant

No reason to discuss this until after the game is out IMO.

Also the only thing I see working is some sort of "sanctuary" like space station you can port to and meet up and HART from it, but that's about it.
Old 2012-03-06, 05:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
ringring
Contributor
General

TBH, I don't see the point and never have ....

So you have to spend time and resources building these and then they're destructable?

What's to stop them being destroyed when you're not around? Perhaps they're instances for pre-arranged matches? In that case, I'm not in favour. I didn't like the max factory concept that was developed for ps1.
Old 2012-03-06, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
IronMole
Sergeant Major

No one will touch our outfit base. No one.
Is that because you won't have one?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion