News: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit! - Page 20 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only good sound I've heard from a bagpipe is it being shot.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-14, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #286
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit!

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
But you had a chance, however slim, and that's the difference he asked about. The fact that in a lot of cases it's not even as slim as you make it out to be is beside the point.
Don't get me wrong, I see what you guys are saying. I just think, by the same logic you guys are using to say all those other things are avoidable, you could argue that sniper headshot OSOK are avoidable.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #287
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Don't get me wrong, I see what you guys are saying. I just think, by the same logic you guys are using to say all those other things are avoidable, you could argue that sniper headshot OSOK are avoidable.
I could go on about how it's not the same, but I'll save the rest of this argument for the beta. Until then I'll just say it's a purely frustrating game mechanic and I don't much care for it at all my good sir.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-14, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #288
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Damage should not be determined by a roll of the dice.
There are no dice roll mechanics in PS2. We don't have critical hits. Player skill-based locational damage is predictable and equalized.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #289
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
There are no dice roll mechanics in PS2. We don't have critical hits. Player skill-based locational damage is predictable and equalized.
And there was much rejoicing.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #290
Raymac
Brigadier General

Great news! So, whats for lunch?
Old 2011-07-14, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #291
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

News? What are you talking about? It was crystal clear that they wont have some random TF2 critical hits that happen just every now and then.

They have hitboxes, means the possibility of players do do alot more damage, based on their expirience, mood, personality and health. In more common words: The good will be able to hit you harder, while the bad will have less chance of dealing with the good.

Smed said it himself: his son is better in some FPS than him, and is mopping the floor, and that isnt fun. SO why add it? Why add something that is going to just frustrate alot for a few guys that will enjoy this feature? That doesnt make sense.

But right now im completly ignoring the effect ballistic bullets will have, and i have no idea how hard it will really be to hit the head of some guy. Im talking based on expirience from common FPS like CS:S and COD MW2, where bullets travel with the speed of light, or at least as fast as your ping allows them. I also dont know how the COF will work in Planetside 2. Will it be like planetside again, with bullets going everywhere in a cone if you just go full automatic, or will it be like those "realisitc" (lol) shooters where your bullets just land on top of your crosshair? With COF headshots would be rather impossible if you just go full automatic. Next thing is iron sights, we dont know what effect using them have for your aim.

Gah, i should just leave this topic alone till beta. Talking way to much out of my ass. :>
Old 2011-07-14, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #292
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
News? What are you talking about? It was crystal clear that they wont have some random TF2 critical hits that happen just every now and then.
Geez, I was just thanking the guy for popping in. Settle down, dude.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #293
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

How about Alliances?
Old 2011-07-14, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #294
Tikuto
Major

Now you say that, I have seconds thoughts about head shots. Yeah not bad but, still, twitching is still something people may dislike.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
Old 2011-07-14, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #295
Tikuto
Major

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
How about Alliances?
???

The idea of your whole Empire as one alliance takes my favor.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #296
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
???

It remains to be that way. The idea behind alliances is to give several outfits a way to communicate with each other seperate from everyone else. I would actually like that. Different outfits worked together in the past, and they will work together in the future. Adding the ability to let those guys chat with each other can add alot to the game.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #297
dsi
Staff Sergeant

This is awesome news.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #298
Tikuto
Major

Ok. Alliances is a tad miss-use of the word, I suppose is what I'm saying.

How about leaders on their Outfit interface establish 'Co-ordination Links' or 'Intralinks / Interlinks' where communications and map features are shared.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-07-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #299
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

???

Ok. Alliances is a tad miss-use of the word, I suppose is what I'm saying.

How about leaders on their Outfit interface establish 'Co-ordination Links' or 'Intralinks / Interlinks' where communications and map features are shared.
It's not a "miss-use" of the word, and let's not be a pedantic Mister Literal here either because that's annoying. I mean the word exactly how I said it - ALLIANCE. The same way I used it and meant it is the same way that other MMOs use it and mean it. If I really have to explain this shit then I'm just going to settle for a ten-paragraph all-caps profanity-filled rant instead.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-14, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #300
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
How about Alliances?
We definitely recognize that the inclusion of role specific advantages as part of the outfit progression will lead players to wanting to create smaller specialized outfits / divisions. We do have a plans to address this and when we're ready to reveal more details on the outfits system (which seriously, seriously rules, by the way -- I think you guys are going to be really stoked with what we're doing here) you'll find out all about it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion