Game Update 10 Released - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: a lot of fun with your pants off, too.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Game Update 10 Released

SOE is currently releasing PlanetSide 2 Game Update 10 which includes UI Updates, Weapon Updates and more alerts!

Taking all facilities of the specified type will win the alert for your empire immediately If time expires without an empire claiming all of the specified facility type, the reward is divided between all empires based on the percentage of the facility type owned when the alert expires. New Alert Types There are 11 new alerts that focus on taking specific installations across Auraxis or on specific continents

Check out the full patch notes here on our wiki!

51 comments
2013-06-05 08:20 AM
Latest Comments
2013-06-05 11:46 AM
TartarosCZ
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige View Post
Honestly, the BF3 comparisons are starting to get a little trite now. Sorry if you don't like it, but games are an iterative medium and they've been borrowing ideas from each other for a long, long time. I mean by this 'it's a ripoff' logic, just about every FPS with ADS is a CoD ripoff and every FPS with competitive multiplayer is a bloody Quake ripoff. Yeah PS2 has similarities to BF3, but PS1 had similarities to Tribes. Games aren't made in a vacuum. Deal with it.
Deal with what exactly? I don't care what is ripping off what, as long as it makes sense.
This means, among other things, that I simply don't accept the "did you see hp bars in other FPS games" wanna-be argument. I did or didn't see a lof things in a lot of various games. So what?
This is Planetside 2. When advocating for something in Planetside 2, use arguments relevant for Planetside 2.
2013-06-05 12:23 PM
Fishy
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

"Enemy Health Bar Change
Enemies farther than ten meters away will no longer display health bars when spotted; this applies to both infantry and vehicles."


WHAT THE HELL??
2013-06-05 12:37 PM
NoblesseOblige
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by TartarosCZ View Post
Deal with what exactly? I don't care what is ripping off what, as long as it makes sense.
This means, among other things, that I simply don't accept the "did you see hp bars in other FPS games" wanna-be argument. I did or didn't see a lof things in a lot of various games. So what?
So, my point is that the MO for forumside is writing off everything they don't like as "too much like BF3" which makes about as much sense as "too much like Quake." I mean, ffs, I knew people who quit the Beta and refused to play on release because in the capture mechanics you don't pull out a REK and start hacking a terminal. It was "too much like BF3," even though BF3 doesn't have a monopoly on capture points and weren't even the first ones to do it. It's just the zeitgeist of multiplayer shooters, so it's easy to draw comparisons to practically everything.

This is why I bring up that games are an iterative medium and that they are not made in a vacuum. Because you can draw comparisons to everything ever in this industry. Hell, most developers don't make their own engines from scratch, because it's cheaper to use already developed technology. You can't honestly expect every new game to reinvent the wheel. I think part of the problem is everyone has this unrealistic ideal of Planetside 1. The truth is it was trying to market itself based on the atmosphere of online gaming of that era, just like Planetside 2. You can spot and ADS and sprint? Cool, so does every shooter ever today because that's some of the building blocks of modern FPS game design.

What I'm getting at is "no health bars when spotting is too much like BF3" is a weird thing to be hung up on. It just strikes me as another excuse for the community to complain about some idle BS because it wasn't exactly how they envisioned it in their mind.

This is Planetside 2. When advocating for something in Planetside 2, use arguments relevant for Planetside 2.
Sure, if you want to completely ignore the state of games. By that logic, if I can't counterpoint your comparisons to BF3, you can't make comparisons to BF3.
2013-06-05 12:51 PM
TartarosCZ
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige View Post
It's just the zeitgeist of multiplayer shooters, so it's easy to draw comparisons to practically everything.
It's not just "zeitgeist" when you take PS1, PS2 (beta/release) and BF3, and you see that PS2 only retained colors and names from 1, and everything else is BF3 carbon copy. Everything. Classes, unlocks, flight model, pilot/gunner model, etc etc, you name it.
Is that necessarily wrong? Not really. But it's also not all good.
I'm not shedding tears over REK, but I'm outraged at lessons having been learnt in PS1 ages ago, only to be forgotten and le-learnt the hard way in PS2. All because the model game was BF3, which simply does not translate to the PS2 scale.

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige View Post
Sure, if you want to completely ignore the state of games. By that logic, if I can't counterpoint your comparisons to BF3, you can't make comparisons to BF3.
This is making no sense. Never did I say I want to ignore anything.
But is it too much to ask for Planetside 2 to not ignore Planetside 1? That's all I want.
2013-06-05 12:53 PM
Shogun
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige View Post
So, my point is that the MO for forumside is writing off everything they don't like as "too much like BF3" which makes about as much sense as "too much like Quake." I mean, ffs, I knew people who quit the Beta and refused to play on release because in the capture mechanics you don't pull out a REK and start hacking a terminal. It was "too much like BF3," even though BF3 doesn't have a monopoly on capture points and weren't even the first ones to do it. It's just the zeitgeist of multiplayer shooters, so it's easy to draw comparisons to practically everything.
it´s not the point that it is like bf3! the point is, it is like bf3 where it should be like ps1.

a lot of innovative things from ps1 had been scrapped in favor for inferior bf3-like mechanics. bf3 just stands for any modern shooter with dumbed down mechanics. it was not the first game who uses them, but it is the most common known actual game that uses them and is used as reference because of that. what enrages the vets is, that soe "fixed" too many things that were not broken.
2013-06-05 01:06 PM
NoblesseOblige
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
a lot of innovative things from ps1 had been scrapped in favor for inferior bf3-like mechanics. bf3 just stands for any modern shooter with dumbed down mechanics. it was not the first game who uses them, but it is the most common known actual game that uses them and is used as reference because of that. what enrages the vets is, that soe "fixed" too many things that were not broken.
Sure, I'll agree with that. There are things in PS1 that I wish were in PS2. Though I think the class system is not how I would have designed Planetside 2, I also think it's somewhat unfair to put that all at BF3's feet. I think it's just kind of popular to hate on that game because of the influx of morons in that community.

I think the unfortunate reality (and don't get me wrong, I don't like admitting this) is that a lot of this has to do with marketing. If we're all being completely honest here, I think its safe to say that some of PS1's mechanics were a little clunky. Not bad, but inefficient. I really don't think PS1 with better graphics (idealistically, the game most of us want) would do as well as the system we have now because that's the state of games today and I expect that to change again in another 10 years or so. Planetside 1 is my favorite game of all time and I wish we could exist in this static reality where that kind of game would really fly today, but sadly we don't.
2013-06-05 01:14 PM
TartarosCZ
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Some of PS1 mechanics might be clunky, but so are some of PS2'
The one thing not based on BF3 I guess, but made up from scratch, is the design of bases, and it's still mostly a failure.
2013-06-05 03:43 PM
NoblesseOblige
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by TartarosCZ View Post
Some of PS1 mechanics might be clunky, but so are some of PS2'
The one thing not based on BF3 I guess, but made up from scratch, is the design of bases, and it's still mostly a failure.
I would call it more of an arduous process than a failure. Planetside (as an overall franchise) is in a unique position. It's hard to test how features like base structure and battle flow work in an MMOFPS, because there isn't really much of a basis for comparison. Hex based adjacency is kind of a nightmare, but lessons have been learned and I believe the lattice on Indar has much better "game feel" than hex on Indar. Not to mention, we are already getting base redesigns in addtion to testing those dome shields on Esamir. I'm still on the fence about those, but I'm glad they are at least willing to try different things. At least Sony seems to care about Planetside these days.
2013-06-05 05:11 PM
VaderDSL
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

The Phoenix got the static at explosion of missile stage changed, reduced in length by maybe a second or half a second? And the static effect was toned down, seems perfect now in terms of length and effect, i.e. my eye no longer bleed
2013-06-06 12:07 AM
Whiteagle
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige View Post
I mean, ffs, I knew people who quit the Beta and refused to play on release because in the capture mechanics you don't pull out a REK and start hacking a terminal. It was "too much like BF3," even though BF3 doesn't have a monopoly on capture points and weren't even the first ones to do it.
Well to be fair I kind of wish Point Hacking were back in...
The need to leave yourself vulnerable for a few seconds created a sense of tension, while that vulnerability made you depend on your Faction-mates for protection.
This intensity is what forged those bonds of brotherhood under fire.

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige View Post
Sure, I'll agree with that. There are things in PS1 that I wish were in PS2. Though I think the class system is not how I would have designed Planetside 2, I also think it's somewhat unfair to put that all at BF3's feet. I think it's just kind of popular to hate on that game because of the influx of morons in that community.

I think the unfortunate reality (and don't get me wrong, I don't like admitting this) is that a lot of this has to do with marketing. If we're all being completely honest here, I think its safe to say that some of PS1's mechanics were a little clunky. Not bad, but inefficient. I really don't think PS1 with better graphics (idealistically, the game most of us want) would do as well as the system we have now because that's the state of games today and I expect that to change again in another 10 years or so. Planetside 1 is my favorite game of all time and I wish we could exist in this static reality where that kind of game would really fly today, but sadly we don't.
I agree that there are things like the Class system that are far better for game flow then what was featured in the original Planetside, but their are other features that were crucially important but have been left out...

Take Base Design for instance, PS2 basically has a bunch of sheds while the Original had fortified mazes with several nominally protected points of entry.
There are a bunch of good looking set pieces, but they are SHIT when it comes to FPS play as most of it is functionless greebling there to look pretty.
Hell, I can understand not wanting to re-implement the automatic sliding doors, but couldn't we at least have entry way shields that functioned as such a barrier?
2013-06-06 07:34 PM
camycamera
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
What?
doesn't really matter, it is just that you usually copy-pasta the entire patch notes in the OP instead of just the intro.


also i was surprised by the size of the path
2013-06-06 07:38 PM
camycamera
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
"Enemy Health Bar Change
Enemies farther than ten meters away will no longer display health bars when spotted; this applies to both infantry and vehicles."


WHAT THE HELL??
meh, who cares. it doesn't really make much of a difference, but it wasn't really an issue either. i guess it is a common sense thing, to add more of a challenge or whatevers.
2013-06-06 09:45 PM
DirtyBird
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Hotfix June 7th, 2013 6AM PT (3PM CEST) (11pm AEST)
http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/...x_(2013/06/07)
2013-06-06 10:03 PM
Hamma
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
doesn't really matter, it is just that you usually copy-pasta the entire patch notes in the OP instead of just the intro.


also i was surprised by the size of the path
Ah!

I wanted to, but formatting the entire thing is a royal pain didn't have time to reformat them 3 times.
2013-06-08 03:53 AM
Redshift
Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Nah they're planning on implementing PS1 implants at somestage, you can bet one of those will be adv targetting.

They must be running out of idea's now personal shield and surge are used.
Reply


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.