There will be a playtest today which introduces the new Mosquito Varient: The Wasp:
Changes to look for in 3.11.11:Interesting news, Does PlanetSide need this? Be sure to comment!
- The Wasp is a Mosquito with an AA missile pod attached!
- After Burners regenerate at twice the normal rate!
- The missile pod fires 2 tracking AA missiles and then must reload (2.5 seconds)!
- Lock on must be attained and maintained for the missiles to track the target!
- To access the Wasp you need to purchase it with a new certification "Air Calvary: Interceptor" which is a 2 point certification that has a pre-requisite of the Air Calvary: Scout certification.
|2006-06-06 10:08 AM|
Nevermind. I got answers via email. Dunno if I'm allowed to discuss them, am seeking confirmation.
|2006-06-06 02:57 PM|
Gotta love insider info. Source is protected, approval for release granted. I considered releasing this on the official forums, but I hate most of the dumbass trolls there. Stupid ignorant morons really raise my blood pressure, and I'd rather just stay away from poltroons and troglodytes. Easier that way.
|2006-06-06 05:25 PM|
|2006-06-06 06:12 PM|
The 12mm cannon:
|2006-06-06 09:48 PM|
|Setari||You and your Army Intelligence skills.|
|2006-06-06 10:49 PM|
|Warborn||With the lock being harder to maintain I am hoping PS will get some real sort of dogfighting. But I am not a fan of the wasp being given anything resembling a powerful cannon. Its main armament should be its missiles, and maybe have some crappy backup gun that is inaccurate "just in case". Seriously, the last thing they should want is for wasps to clear the skies then do exactly what skeeters do and mow down infantry.|
|2006-06-06 11:32 PM|
|2006-06-07 10:22 AM|
|2006-06-07 10:37 AM|
|Firefly||I think that with the lack of ground radar, most Wasp pilots will focus on air-to-air combat almost exclusively. And if the average grunt starts getting hammered by aircraft cannons, he/she should probably consider AV. With the Wasp having less armor than a Mossie, only a retarded noob would stick around to try and finish off a Striker-carrying grunt.|
|2006-06-08 06:01 PM|
Some more Wasp info to help clear a few things up:
How many AA Rockets does it take to kill a...
* Wasp? 2
* Mosquito? 3
* Reaver? 3
* Liberator? 9
* Galaxy? 17
* Note: Both the Mosquito and Reaver have faster TTKs against Air Support
How much punishment can the Wasp Minigun deal?
* It will kill an Agile very quickly. So a bailing pilot is no problem
* It can't kill a ReXo even if it unloads a full clip with 100% accuracy.
* It can kill a Wasp in a single clip! Hovering = BAD
* It cannot kill a Mosquito in a single clip.
* It cannot kill a Reaver in a single clip.
* Note #1: Both the Mosquito and Reaver have a faster TTK against Air Support than a Wasp Minigun
* Note #2: Against a Wasp ONLY fighting with the Minigun both the Mosquito and Reaver have a higher TTK.
* Note #3: The Wasp Minigun is designed to quickly finish off a wounded aircraft and or to quickly take care of a pilot that bails. So the design is to hit the target with 1 or more AA rockets and then move in for the aircraft kill or pilot bail mop up job.
How effective will AV weapons be against the Wasp?
* Decimator kills with only 2 hits
* Phoenix kills with only 2 hits
* Lancer kills with 5 hits. This is less than 1 clip.
* Striker kills with 1 clip (5 shots).
* Note #1: Against a ReXo with any AV weapon the Grunt has the higher TTK against a Wasp.
When will we be able to test this out on the test server?
* We will try to have this ready for weekend testing. However, the Markov live server issue is the priority.
When will we have another public playtest to try this out?
* Our current play is to have this ready for a test on Monday or Tuesday.
Is it not silly to have bullets that don't do much damage to infantry? How is that possible or even logical?
* As with most things is a game, the design is geared to gameplay and not "reality". This same logic has been applied to other areas and is why a Grunt can survive a Decimator to the face. We did not want an instagib rocket launcher. With the Wasp we do not want a vehicle that can easily farm infantry.
|2006-06-08 10:13 PM|
|Mag-Mower||This vehicle is starting to sound really good.|
|2006-06-10 07:05 PM|
|Warborn||Alright, the gun sounds like it's not that good against infantry, and striker can take it out in one clip, so it might not be so bad afterall. And it is suitably lethal against other aircraft, too, so that's good. Overall it might give infantry a bit of a break.|
|2006-06-11 10:25 AM|
I still don't understand this "Bailing problem"
Anyone here in the Air Force? Please tell us what you're trained to do if your craft is about to blow. Yeah I know this is "just a game" but what's it based off of again? lol
|2006-06-11 11:43 AM|
It could still take a little damage if they explode to close to the plane since the i think the rockets have explosive radius like most explosive and AV weaponry. But that would only add to the game experience.
And with the bailing issue. Why don't they make all non drop vehicles shoot the people in the plain upwards instead of dropping them. Then if they want to drop on a tower they can shoot buy the bottom of it at 180 miles per hour and hop up to the top giving people more time to deal with them and less of a chance to land on the middle roof section where they are safe. There are alot more dangers flying near surface; mines, people shooting at you, spits, not to mention people will know you are dropping when you have to fly past enemies to do it. And it will be a much more interesting experience.
Btw, I'm taking it the wasp turned out to be a small drop aircraft.
I think the problem with lack of whoring in the sky came from when they got rid of the limit on how high AA could reach to kill something. I still don't see why it's a problem to have to send a mossy to or reaver or two to stop a liberator.
|2006-06-11 11:43 AM|
|Ait'al||Double post. Sorry, I can't find the delete button or the report abuse button.|