PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Spork watch: reply on surgile
View Single Post
Old 2004-01-11, 02:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
flypengy
Master Sergeant

This topic has to have generated the most ideas, flames, and critiscisms in this game.

As an NC I will explain why finding alternate solutions to warping besides fixing the crappy prediction code will create such an utterance of unhappiness and empire hopping from NC that lasher 2.0 will seem miniscule.

The first thing that must be understood about the JH is that it relies on extremely close ranges to dominate. This is why 1v1 in a tower type situation the JH will conquer. However, most combat does not involve such extreme close ranges. That is why surge is the godsend of NC HA users. Surge allows a JH user to close into the optimum range so that the JH can acheive it's maximum effectivness.

Option #1: "A weapon can not be equipped while using surge" - How am I suppose to close the gap to make my weapon effective now? A TR or VS HA user simply has to crouch at the end of a hall or strafe left to right while an NC slowly trudges with his weapon firing to try to kill him. 1v1 the JH will lose. Well, you imagine you can surge without a weapon equipped at all and destroy them once you have closed the gap... Still, the damage that will be taken while your opponent is taking none makes the distance you've gained obsolete. You're forced to perhaps get a lucky triple burst in (which people also cry to have nerfed), but most likely you might get one shot off or simply none at all.

Second option: "Must have rexo to be able to use HA" - While a better solution than the first this still has a distinct flaw... Rexo is slow as shit. The ground that is neccesary to gain on your opponent is not feasible with the speeds allowed in rexo. The even bigger problem with this is that you can still warp in rexo! One bunny hop and you will still move abnormally across the screen.

------

Warping is not induced by surge, surge just makes the warping amplified. I never hear people complain about warping cloakers or warping standards (you can warp just as easily straight out of the spawn tubes). But the above fixes are not acceptable. None of you can deny that the JH requires you to get near your opponent while if given the same situation with lasher or MCG user you're better to keep your distance (the lasher doesn't even lash inside 5m!!!).

The different HA's do their jobs. An entrenched VS force is far more formiddable than entrenched NC (remember the uber pounders?). While the NC are a far more aggressive weapon that is suited for close combat and assaulting. The TR take the middle road.

VS = defensive
NC = offensive
TR = balance of the two

Hamma: The spork's comment was not about warping, but about agile/HA. Reread.