PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - MAX Timers
Thread: MAX Timers
View Single Post
Old 2004-02-15, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Veteran
Many, if not most of my Decimator kills are at range using the Decimator's large splash in camera mode. It's effective at short and long range. If it's effective at long range, the time to kill is modified by the lack of the need to close distance before firing. MCG has no such option.

I don't think that at all. I think that if you can detonate the missile mid-flight, turning a miss into a hit, then you have a new option.
Fair enough. Though splash damage from the Deci is less than a full hit. Personally, I don't really consider Decis a threat unless used indoors.

The way I play a MAX is...

AA MAX if on a tower I move around near the center of the roof never near the rails or on the "catwalks". This prevents most enemies from getting a good shot at me unless they are far away or an aircraft. With aircraft it's really a game of if they can get in killing range before I see them which is rare. If I see them, they either use full AB to run or die.

When guarding a base I never stand on the outer walls, I stand near the central area. Again, this makes me harder to hit by increasing my cover and the distance from the enemy. And again I'm in a prime spot to kill aircraft pestering my base.

In either a base or tower I keep a sharp eye out for AV weapons (the phoenix is the worst to deal with) and I don't hesitate to move if targeted. Also, I keep an eye out for Liberators and make sure I don't get bombed to oblivion.

What I don't do is stand on ground level or near an edge where infantry can deci and vehicles can blast me at close range. Unless your base has a shield module. In which case standing on ground level near a door can be a very good place to be.

As a AI MAX in a tower the trick is to stand at the top of a turn in a staircase away from walls and far enough over so that someone coming up the stairs can't see you. From this position a Deci infantry only gets 1 shot on you assuming he has the Deci in hand... or has the deci holstered... if not... dead infantry because if he trys to fight you will splatter him and if he tries to run you will splatter him... just a slight turn and you can track him up the next flight of stairs and a slight strafe to the side to track him down the stairs... it's brutal. Audio Amp and or 3rd person perspective are needed for this... People get spanked because 1. They fail to use cover by proper positioning while letting the enemy use cover. 2. they try and give chase to the faster infantry... this is never a good idea unless you are despirately trying to defend the spawn or CC.

A similar tactic works well in bases. Use the long hallways to your advantage. With Lattice benefits and or Audio Amp you should make quick work of any infantry headed your way. Usually, unless they know I'm there they are dead before they can equip the deci... and if they shoot at me with any other weapon... pffft! Dead.

What you can not do in a MAX is pretend you are invulnerable and charge vehicles or attack areas where infantry can have easy cover. Make them come to you.

Finally, don't try to lone wolf it unless you absilutely need to. A few MAX units in an infantry squad can be devistating... with engineering support and HA to kill Deci troops you are a GOD.

Ok, now really finally... never waste your time with any AV MAX. Never waste your time with TR MAX units except the Burster AA MAX. The Pounder is only good for doorway spamming and getting lots of grief. IMHO the best 4 MAX units in the game are in order are 1. VS AA MAX 2. VS AI MAX 3. NC AA MAX 4. NC AI MAX.

Also, I'm sorry about the hostile sounding posts earlier... apparently I'm a mean drunk Vet, you handled yourself well with your reply... thanks.