PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - MAX Timers
Thread: MAX Timers
View Single Post
Old 2004-02-15, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by BadAsh
When dueling on Markov with some of the top players on that server someone thought it would be funny to pit a NC Scatter MAX against infantry in a 1v1 duel. The MAX won every single time. You are superior to infantry in every way with the exception of being unable to med/eng/hack. So inherently a MAX requires support and is not a lone wolf unit by design.

In your example you are taking about 1 MAX vs a TEAM of infantry... IMHO the team should win and when 1v1 the MAX should win and that is exactly the situation as it currently stands. Now, with team numbers being even... say 1 MAX and 1 HA infantry vs 2 deci infantry... my cash is on the MAX/HA team to win over and over and over...
1 AI MAX vs 1 infantry guy with a Decimator and, yes, most of the time the MAX will win, but unless the infantry guy is afflicted with Down's Syndrome, the MAX will be eating a Decimator before the infantry guy dies. Depending on the environment, it's very possible for the MAX to lose because of the terrain or building design preventing him from getting more than a glimpse of the infantry guy as he pops out of cover to stick another Decimator round into him.

And, 2 Decimator infantry guys vs 1 AI MAX = guarenteed death for the AI MAX. Unless the infantry guys suck, you're screwed. You will die.

In your final example of 1 MAX and a HA guy vs 2 guys with Decimators, if the 2 guys with Decimators have HA, I'd give it a 50/50. The MAX will be killed almost immidiately, that's a given, but from there it's up in the air. Suffice to say, the MAX will not decide that battle, the HA will. The HA always does. MAXs are just free kills and the occassional annoynace to allow HA infantry to operate a bit more effectively. All that for a five minute timer and no utility is a joke. In any situation except when you're dealing with aircraft, as AA MAXs are good, a HA Surgile or even HA RExo is more decisive than a MAX. They can tear up infantry far better than MAXs, are self-sufficient/able to revive the dead in some cases, and have better survivability due to their mobility and overall lack of a major Achilles heel, as MAXs have with Decimators. I don't care how good you are with an AI MAX, you can almost always get more kills and stay in the field longer if you're playing HA infantry.

Originally Posted by Angel_of_Death
Everytime I see a MAX, I think to myself "free kill", unless I get rear-ended.
It always feels like a race to see who can pull out their Deci the fastest to get the kill. If they come from the roof one or two guys may get surprised and be killed, but otherwise I welcome the sight of a MAX indoors, because I know who'll be walking away from the fight.