PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Upcomming Surge Changes!
View Single Post
Old 2004-03-15, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Madcow
I'm sorry, but this means little to nothing. Everybody probably has a character with the suit. Does that mean you have combat engineering? Does that mean you actually don the suit for any length of time? Does that mean you've ever done a boomer run through a spawn room? You've answered nothing.
Sheesh...sad to see that basic inference skills are not taught in schools these days. Read my post, see where it mentions boomers? Be a really neat trick to use boomers WITHOUT combat engineering, wouldn't you say? This of course would presume that you put THOUGHT into the post I made before responding.

Feedback? You only have to land a paltry few shots, do you really need feedback to tell you that you've done it? It's really not that hard, even in a crowded spawn room you can let loose with a supressor and fear nothing more than a dozen or so grief points. Whoop-de-doo.
So the post after you point out how stupid the people in the spawn room are, you suggest that hitting them even with a suppressor is a good idea? Welcome to the world of TK.

It's easy to get to a spawn room when nobody would expect you there (these seem to be the times you are referring to). Try getting to a spawn room in the middle of an all-out base assault. It takes skill, and tons of luck. Stray shots will hit you, period. Then again, that's the only time boomer runs in the spawn room are worthwhile and will help your empire to take the base. Slow the spawners long enough to worry about you, that gets your infantry that much closer to the spawn room with a little less resistance. See, that's what a skilled infiltrator can do for you.
If you'd stop making the same mistakes over and over again, maybe it wouldn't be as funny. If someone is actively looking for me, chances are it's a whole degree worse than just walking around in a full on base assault (which this was in the middle of, by the way, amazing how crouch walking in hallways that are NOT the main ones keeps you out of the line of fire). Again, that presumes that you're thinking about things before you respond.

I agree that it is a valuable thing for the main infantry to be able to get into the spawn room easier. My problem is that there's an exploit being abused to do it. If the infiltrator gets there through his own skill and gets things done that way, more power to him. Using a flaw in the netcode to produce it is *not* a valid tactic.

point A to point B, and on his next run will go back from point B to point A.
Not usually, they come in through the "rec room" run out of the left door. Come back the right, head out the back. Run straight left to right. Guess the infiltrators I face are a bit more intelligent than the ones you see.

I'm glad you enjoy playing the infiltrator that way. Some of us have different ideas, and it has nothing to do with exploiting bugs and everything to do with having their own playstyle niche. Despite all of the glaring bugs in the game for infil I'd say I'm a better infiltrator/killer than many people are grunts. So I should stop killing lots of people because that's not how you see the infiltrator role? Brace yourself for disappointment, it won't be happening.
You can kill all the people you jolly well please. Hell, you can even kill them exclusively with boomers and spitfires and knives for all I care. Just don't exploit bugs to do it. I'd say the same thing about someone who used a flaw in the textures or drivers to make hunting infiltrators easier. Using an exploit to get a kill or make a base hack easier or whatever the hell you're using it for is not a valid tactic. It's actually not terribly far removed from cheating, except I can't blame individuals for the slipshod response time from the Dev team.

Originally Posted by Lartnev
Right, I think we need to get back to step one here.
Yes, we did get a bit sidetracked by those defending the playstyles that really on abusing an exploit (and yes, if the Devs are saying it needs to be changed, that would equate to an exploit...whether it should be there or not is no longer a matter of debate and yes, I have argued in defense of "exploit" fixes that have nerfed weapons that were a part of my playstyle, even though I didn't use the exploit for them).

Originally Posted by Lartnev
the devs are trying to remove the exploit the best they can. Or at least until they can implement a better solution.
No truer words have been said in this thread...which is what those of us who understand what a problem Surge has become have been saying since the fix was announced.