PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - What Is the Best Misconception mankind has made?
View Single Post
Old 2003-01-28, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Ludio
First Sergeant

The_Denali, faith in god and faith in science is different. If you have faith in neuron stars its because there was some form of data that you couldnt explain, someone came along (you seem to be the expert on this so you would know more than me) and explained the data. Other people looked at that data and eventually said that the model of the neuron star is the best thing we have to explain it. Now lets look at something like the brain, at the moment scientists have said that they cant understand all of it, does that mean that it will be that way forever? No, just as 100 years ago no one knew how to go into space, at the moment no one knows everything about the brain.

Now faith in god is a bit more complicated. We look at the universe and say we dont know how it came into being, someone thinks maybe it was something more powerfull then anything we could imagine. Everyone else cant think of anything better and so they go ahead and believe it. In reality we know nothing. There is no data to support a god, it is an untested hypothesis, it doesnt mean it isnt true, just untested. The universe is like the brain, at the moment we dont have the slightest clue where it came from, but that doesnt mean we cant find out, just that it is beyond us at the moment.

I can understand the need to think that there is something that created the universe, it is very difficult to understand and at times I have wanted to explain it myself, but instead of just attributing to a higher power why not accept that it is beyond current understanding, and may well be for a long time.