PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - My New System Final Specs
View Single Post
Old 2004-05-17, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vitter
Sergeant

I have to agree with Electro on the full tower cases Rbstr. The only "hotspot" i've ever heard of from a full tower case comes is at the very top of the case behind the power supply. Everywhere else gets excellent cooling, especially if you have a side fan (as electro stated) to blow on your MB slots.

The Antec case that both Electro and I suggested has FIVE fan slots. You've got 2 fans blowing air in the bottom front, 2 blowing out in the back, and 1 blowing in on the side.

That not enough air for you? Then you can do as I did and get a Thermalright copper heatsink with a 120mm Vantec "Tornado" fan (better get a fan controller) with, of course, Artic Silver 5. That puppy is guaranteed to move ALL the air you will EVER want to move.

The result? I have a steel full tower case with an overclocked 2.8 GHz P4C that is now running at 1000 FSB (which is 1:1 with my OCZ DDR500 PC4000 [thank you very much Electro]) with a 256mb Radeon 9800 Pro. All of that, and guess what? It has NEVER gotten over 35c, even when i'm running CnC Generals and Star Wars Galaxies at the SAME TIME.

So yeah, poo on your stupid alluminum. Poo all over it!

[EDIT] And if you really hate that "hotspot" behind the PSU, feel free to devel a hole in and add a 80mm fan to whisk it away

Electro, i was being stupid about the case. I apologize. I have to put up with my brother in law wanting to spend 150-200 bucks on a case with diodes and windows and god knows what else for his "gaming machine" when he's got a fuking 1.8GHz processor and a GeForce 3. I won't even get into the memory. It's a knee jerk reaction now to bash any case I see over $100 (after PS added).

If the extra $50 was really for stuff like cable sleeves, fan controller, etc - then right on man, that's money well spent. I just can't stand paying tons for a case with a "pimped out" lighting system.

As for the memory companies, i still stick with OCZ being the best i've EVER had the joy of working with. I'll look up their (as you put it) "splotchy" business decisions, but I doubt i'll find anything that will make me want to give up a company which is providing me with the BEST memory chips at LOWER prices than it's competitors.

Last edited by Vitter; 2004-05-17 at 11:35 AM.