PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside Idea Lab
View Single Post
Old 2004-05-25, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Thanks for the kind comments guys and making this a rewarding experience.

Originally Posted by EarlyDawn
Now, this is a battle zone, right? You can fight here?

[Edit: Any btw, any ETA for the redesigned emplacements/firebases? That's probably my favorite idea out of all of them. I think that would be a nice progression of developed concepts after Outposts/Zones of Control because it would be great to set up a firebase and hold an outpost against an enemy platoon, all the while having your Platoon Commander call the Task Force for backup...]
Yeah, the maglev stations would be part of a zone. Capture the zone and you capture the station.

Here's a little more on the deployable emplacements.

Emplacements cannot be placed inside a base, on roads, bridges, in front of doors, etc.
  • Any trooper can make a generic front-piece cover/sandbag thing with an entrenching tool. This basic type comes with a lock-box for putting in extra ammo. Destroy the lockbox, the cover deconstructs. So bombers, arching fire, grenades, or flank attacks are best for denying this cover to the enemy and making him withdraw or die.
  • Updated: Engineers, even though they are really mechanics, can create the larger cover and have the option of putting a single machinegun on there, probably 15mm.
  • A CE can create a fully enclosed emplacement for machine guns, aid station, command posts, supply post, etc. Again, bombers, arching fire, and grenades are best against this. Aid stations and CPs are more vulnerable as their tent-looking structues rise above the emplacement cover. These weak types are meant to be back further from the line for protection.
  • A Field Engineer can create the stronger emplacements that come with AA or AV weapons inside them. Direct fire weapons are able to hit these gun mounts to destroy the emplacement.

By the way, the turf-color of the sloping sides of the emplacement reflect the ground it is created on: temperate, desert, and arctic, so that they give some kind of camoflauge in addition to cover.

Right now trying to get a handle on the scale of everything in the game so I can create a more accurate layout for the urban area outposts.

Last edited by Hayoo; 2004-05-25 at 07:38 PM.