PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Processors
Thread: Processors
View Single Post
Old 2003-02-17, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The new athalon Thoroughbred "B" chips.... they well suck, they offer virtually nothing new and they're still based on 5 year old technology. You'll also need to be sure you get a proper motherboard that supports the 166mhz FSB they use (nforce 2, sis 745 or a VIA KT333+. Be sure to get one whit a proper bios). Can be a headache, some suppliers have reported instability whit the newer chips.

The P4 2.4 also beats the amd 2500 in most tests, they're fairly close but overall the p2.4 wins by a slim margin.

The Thoroughbred "B" chips also generate well HUGE amounts of heat.

I'd go whit the P4 if i where you. (i'm assuming you're buying now, not when the barton core comes out. The barton core also sucks but it can be OC'd, alott.)

On a personal side note, i would stay away from buying AMD til the Hammer core comes out. Pentium will have the lead til then. After that, who knows, the new 200mhz pentium FSB's will be out and there will be some real competition between AMD and intel again.

Edit: show me a test where AMD has annything that beats the P4 3.06 GHZ please, i havn't found a single test or review that supports AMD beating it.

Last edited by Zatrais; 2003-02-17 at 04:27 PM.