PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - What do you think of this? (Class System)
View Single Post
Old 2009-10-24, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Nubcake
Private

Re: What do you think of this? (Class System)

Thanks for reading it all, it wasn't exactly the shortest thing ever.

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
Intruiging.
Thanks. I was sort of worried that it was a bit stupid when I threw this idea out into the world.

It could be made much, much simpler.
Yeah, sorry. If I do something it generally has to stop off at every other letter before going from A to B. Each armor has more limitations than they do already: A MAX cannot drive a vehicle, a REXO cannot pilot a aircraft, a[Infiltration suit must not break wind, etc...

In PlanetSide NEXT added limitations and even new advantages would suffice, I think,
  • like REXO having a Darklight vision and Advanced Targetting features on their helmet and are granted use of Heavy weapons
    I'm not sure about giving rexo darklight. Considering that its almost a required armour cert to have, if the devs stuck with the current armour layout I think that this would go a good way to murdering the infiltrator as a playable class bar the hardcore few. I don't complain about plugging in adv. targeting however.
  • Infiltration suit also having Darklight helmet (but can only use when uncloaked) and a new intergrated "External Bionic" to boost melee strength, weapon and accessory restrictions
    No complaints here. But you can't fit a hamster in the backpack space they have, maybe a slight increase?.
  • and the standard Agile suit with something else while also being a more generic role with a bigger inventory capacity.
  • NEW: Driver's suit with Advanced Targetting and Satelite Navigation helmet? with more access to vehicles than others?
    I don't think there's much need for sat nav, you simply throw down a waypoint close to where you want to go and just head for that. What about surge instead? Theoretically (yes, I said it) a driver shouldn't be heavily armed/armoured -that's the vehicle's job - so maybe in the event they lose their veh they should be able to shoot off away from danger.
  • "Pyjamas" with a different concept and look as if they're specially designed for Spawn Tubes. When only wearing these "pyjamas" the player is able to respawn much quicker. An under-layer bodily protection which primarly protects the wearer from Spawn Tube problems.
    I'm not sure about changing the PJs any. They only time you ever seriously see them getting used is if the equipment terms go down and noone can grab armour. Personally, I would always choose a bit more armour than a faster spawn.

Titles like "Storm Strooper" and "Cavalry" would be earned from selected the Certificates, achieving enough kills and so-on from those certificates (Achievements) and a length of time your character owns those certificates (Not instantly changing title, but still able to change role).
I just threw the titles in so people could associate what I was putting forward with something generic. Tying the role in with the achievements system is a good idea as it does give the player something to work towards and doesn't make them go on a pointless trek to get it (*cough* Biffer *cough*).
But I meant for roles to partially restrict players from the start though and try to prevent them getting all the 'universal soldier' certs (rexo, HA, AV, Med, Eng) and promoting players to work together to make something click - think of raids you went on with outfits old timers and remember how that worked, I want to try and get more of that. So whilst I do like the idea of pegging them with achievements having them achieve the role after having the certs sort of defeats to point of making them roles and would better be suited to an achievement of performing the role.

It's a whole sense of achievement and tells other players what you're specialized or specializing in, and that personal sense of individualism or whatever that this thread is all about, I think.
Heh, sorry again for making it so long winded and complicated. Planetside lets the player have a great sense of individualism and I want to carry that over in this. At the same time I wanted to try and fix the problem of the universal player as referenced to EVILoHOMER in my first post by trying to loosely enforce limitations on players without affecting gameplay and individualism too much.
I also agree that the titles can give a sense of achievement, I never meant for them to be displayed openly to the world but I wonder if, to increase the sense of achievement, they get a small trinket to wear (as long as cavalry get Col. Kilgore's cowboy hat)
Just a note. I have noticed that whilst I said I wanted to get rid or severely limit the 'universal soldier' type of build I've basically left that option in with the hypothetical 'Grunt' and 'Cavalry' roles. I only noticed earlier. I'm not going to edit the original post, I want to see how this thing evolves. I will say 'Bugger!' and note that yes, it is a rather major error. So split the grunt into 2 roles one with HA the other with AV and cavalry, probably remove the HA and AV but allow the use of rocklets and thumpers. Again, oops.