PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why didnt PS make it big?
View Single Post
Old 2011-01-28, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Why didnt PS make it big?

I remember buying the game when it was released like probably a few others here. It was said before kind of, but four things hurt Planetside in my opinion
1) Marketing
2) 56k in 2003
3) Learning curve
4) Subscription

I only heard about Planetside since I followed random gaming sites. None of my friends heard about the game at all until I told them. (After showing it to them some of them played it for 5 years :P) I played the beta on a friends computer and bought it and tried to play it on 56k, but since it didn't run well at all I had to wait until I got DSL. This was true of two of my other friends.

When the game got bigger near 2006 I had two new friends try to play the game. The first joined when the battles were small and didn't like the slow paced gameplay. The second person though I had playing for 5 hours straight, but ended up not liking the game because he died too much. I kept trying to show him how not to die, but not everyone is good at FPS games. (He kept running in the same door hoping to get a kill. I sat back sniping into the door way getting kill after kill :P). Anyway, what I want to say though which made them definitely not want to play it was the subscription. They couldn't justify paying for an FPS game every month. I didn't mind paying for it since I thought it meant continued development.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-01-28 at 09:28 PM.