PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Virtual Reality Training [Try before you buy]
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-23, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: Virtual Reality Training

Originally Posted by GoldDragon View Post
Yes, an outfit can adopt players and teach them but from my experiences not every new player (or current player) knows or wants that. Some find satisfaction in learning on their own. This is more about offering options to players and giving outfits (my personal reason for wanting this) a training ground to develop and refine tactics.
My outfit runs a three-tiered set of training - Basic, Advanced, and Leadership. Each is geared towards a specific aspect of the game. Basic is for 1) new players and 2) new players to BWC. It teaches them fundamentals of the game if they don't know it, and how to operate with the outfit - from using Teamspeak/Vent to basic squad formations. It's designed to take a brand new player and give them at least a month of experience in the span of about a half-hour. That way we can take a n00b and run them with the squad without fearing that we'll decrease effectiveness. Advanced is basically small-unit infantry tactics (US Army FM 7-8 and a few others), how squads work and how squads work together as a platoon, conducting ambushes and flanks, etc. And Leadership training is how to run a squad and platoon. These are run in VR Training, in Sanctuary, or on live-fire continents. This is our training ground. And it's not mandatory to take any of them, it's offered but not expected.

It falls to the individual player to find out how to play the game. My biggest tip to brand new players is, find a good outfit. Not every outfit cares about new people, and not every outfit even cares enough to be serious. Which is fine - for every outfit that doesn't, there's an outfit that does. Some go the whole mile, like Warrior Nation, Dragonwolves, BWC, etc. Others just have a bunch of pro-tips. Diff'rent strokes, etc.