PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit!
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-14, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #312
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit!

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Because whether I win or lose a gun fight should come down to skill and tactics, not random chance?
War has a huge element of chaos. Your skill can put the bullet downrange into the guys body, or the shell into the enemy tank. But that bullet can still hit something vital, or something nonvital. 80% of shots to a thigh will produce a nasty flesh wound. 15% will produce a shattered femur. 5% will produce a blown out femoral artery.

Plenty of men have been wounded or died to a random bullet that was directed at a different target miles away. Plenty of men have survived a grenade/arty shell while their buddies right next to them were turned into pink mist. Plenty have survived because of random duds in the non zero failure rate of explosives, or a chance misfire or jam.

This is a game of course, so that stuff need not happen. But it wouldn't be amiss to include representations of chance. Not that I necessarily agree with it for a game(though I don't necessarily disagree with it either). Just saying in any real combat, random chance is a factor.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-07-14 at 06:51 PM.