PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Weapons, Attachments, Function
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-19, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Treerat
Private

Re: Weapons, Attachments, Function

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
A few games do the distance arming thing on the 'nade, it's a great idea. They still tend to have it a bit short IMO. Though in BC2 if you hit the guy with the actual projectile he'll die, regardless of whether it explodes. Which makes some sense. This may be hardcore only, and it's damn hard to aim the 203 that exactly w/o cross-hairs so it doesn't happen often.

I stick by sights shouldn't do a damn thing to the weapon except how you aim it. It's a good way to help balance it, so you don't get a close quarters gun with tons of damage ending up highly accurate at range.
I also think magazine expansion mods are a bad idea. Unless it comes had in hand with an entire weapon variant that changes other things as well.
So instead of mods that fiddle with base accuracy, damage, clip size and other more "internal" factors. You have the choice between carbine, normal, marksman, whatever versions. Then you can add the various "external" factor mods that don't change how the gun's mechanisms really operate but can help you keep recoil under control, change the ADS, help with situational awareness, add a shotgun to the thing and whatever else. (Yeah, with recoil especially there's lots of overlap potential, this isn't meant to be a hard and fast thing)

Lots of you are still thinking in terms of PS1's COF, as well, PS2 should have something a bit more sophisticated. Though the trailer isn't particularly clear, we do know it has a more modern ironsights system.
The CoF bit is that A) I haven't played PS in years and B) while it might not be the same as in PS, it makes a certain amount of sense. When rapidly firing any weapon the successive rounds are more likely to miss due to the weapon "jumping around" due to recoil, barrel climb, and the shooters own movement. You can see this with the automatic weapons in BF2 and its follow-ups; if you face a wall say 20 meters away, stand up, and fire until the weapon overheats or hits empty, the initial bullets will hit near the center but by the end they will be hitting everywhere within a set diameter circle. Really it just makes sense to me - most quick-acquisition sights (lasers, reflex sights, etc) are designed to help with the first few shots.

Not that I don't like idea of different "sub classes" of weapons but there would be some problems with implementing them. The big difference between an assault rifle and it's carbine version (for example) is the space it takes up, the amount it weighs, and how easily it "handles" in tight spaces. The first would have translated well into PS1 with it's free-form inventory but PS2 is dropping that. The second really has never been a factor - the only way I could see it affecting battles would be reduced stamina drain if that becomes a factor. The third part would probably be the most easily implemented (as a lowered rate of turn & elevation/ depression the the "full sized" version), but also runs into problems such as turn sensitivity (effectively bypassing it).

And I do agree that NOTHING should increase a weapons base damage or rate of fire. Maybe reduce it in the same manner a sound suppressor trades velocity (and thus power) for a reduced muzzle report, but never up the weapons damage. Those two are just asking for major issues because they directly effect how a weapon relates to others in it's time to kill ratio. The reason I don't have a problem with magazine extensions is my experience with that option BF2142 where that option was available to the engineer for their SMG "sidearm". Since the weapon already took multiple rounds to kill, the extra 10 rounds wasn't a big difference. It did come in handy though when the other guy ran out of ammunition and charged with his knife out since it translated into 1 or 2 more bursts (just enough to either finish him off or make him duck behind cover). As long as something like that was restricted to weapons that need multiple shots (thinking primarily pistols, SMGs, and empire-specific rifles but excluding heavy assault and anti-vehiclular weapons) it shouldn't cause significant problems. Of course if it did cause a real problem, I would say yank it or don't implement it.

Oh, and I would hope they don't make non-exploding grenades from launchers actual one-shot kills. Most grenade launchers fire around 400 feet per second or less. I've been hit by paintballs fired that that velocity and beyond bruising (and lots of pain-induced cursing), no permanent damage has been done to me yet.