PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-22, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Originally Posted by Treerat View Post
First, I disliked you and your outfit no more or no less than I did my own. That incident only served to illustrate my point that the underlying problem with BFRs was less a problem of game mechanics and more one of the small & vocal minority who happened to constitute the majority of the forum population not adapting their tactics to the situation.
Yes, a "vocal minority" is why 80% of the people (according to the poll in this thread) dislike the idea of mechs.

And that incident did not illustrate anything. For all you know the person you observed was drunk as his computer not really paying attention to the game. He may not have even been Liberty. You saw what you wanted to see and drew broad generalized conclusions without causal evidence nor a significant sample.

As for that incident itself, you can believe what you want since I can't change what you wish to hear and I was laughing too hard to take screen shots at the time (assuming I had figured out which key took them). However I still have a good laugh remembering how those tanks (if you were leading them or not, or even if it was a Liberty + PUG) kept charging headlong into the worst possible match up for them without regard to using basic tactics. To me, that just confirmed that no matter how well-regarded by a server, how well placed on the scoreboard, and how vocal in it's superiority an individual or unit is, they are still more than capable of throwing anything resembling sense and discipline to the wind given the right incentive.
Your implication that we are somehow incompetent and incapable of adapting to gameplay based on your one vague and admittedly imprecise recollection is just slanderous.

Oh and your Darwinism comment. What do you think your statements about BFRs are?
Truths.

You also ignored my point that role overlap already existed in Planetside. As an NC you saw it every day - Sweepers were functionally the same as Jackhammers and filled the exact same role while varying only in details (smaller clip, bit better CoF, and a little less damage) and yet you rarely (if ever) complained about that.
I commented on it from time to time and even mentioned it in my manifesto. I actually prefer the jackhammer to have different barrel types like the scatmax which would enable the user to make range vs dps tradeoffs that would differentiate it from the sweeper as well as make it competitive with the MCG & lasher at longer ranges.

Just because I don't comment on every role overlap doesn't mean I like to see it. The subject of the thread is mechs, not "role overlap in Planetside." I like to stay on topic.

Frankly Malnorn..
Misspelling my name once can be written off as a typo. Now you're just being a disrespectful dick. Your conclusions about me specifically are also incorrect.