PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Flight VTOL
Thread: Gameplay: Flight VTOL
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-23, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sirisian
Colonel

Flight VTOL

I said this before, but I think it should be mentioned again since it solves nearly all the problems with VTOL planes without breaking them.

Each plane in the game would have an afterburner bar. This would recharge slowly over time. Pretend you get into a jet and press e to go up it would drain the bar applying thrust to lift the vehicle vertically. You would then move forward and drop with gravity and begin flying like normal. If you slow down your plane will begin to fall out of the air. Using the afterburner thrust would stop this.

What this means is that a Reaver could take off in VTOL and fly for a bit to recharge the after-burner and then land vertically pretty easily. It could also slow down and hover for a moment to launch rockets. It would however then need to speed up and regain flight as the bar depletes.

This means a plane like a mossy or Reaver can't do a perpetual hover over a target. It would encourage sweeping quick attacks.

A galaxy and other vehicles would use the thrust to take off also and hover momentarily to release units. A bomber could also use this hover to position itself over a target for a moment before depleting the bar.

As far as I know this system has no flaws. If you find one list it below.