PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Beta Question
Thread: Beta Question
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-23, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Beta Question

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
I'm sure the beta that the majority of us (all of us?) that get into is going to be a start-from-scratch extended stress test in late closed or open. I'd prefer if we all start launch tabula rasa. Beta players will have enough of a functional play experience lead (and possibly PS1 players more than that) so the extra skills would be excessive. Simply having tested a basic skill build order will put beta players ahead on the time scale as they won't necessarily be so apt to waste time skilling this and that, testing what they want to use.

That and I can't think of a single game that has let players keep beta progress. Headstart, sure, but that's only a few days.
There is one!

APB Reloaded kept everything from a certain point of late closed beta to open beta and there will be no more wipes even from open beta to launch.

And in all honesty, it wasn't a bad idea. Game knowledge goes so far in that game, not to mention there was huge amounts of vets from RealTime World's APB who simply steamrolled every non-vet, so when open beta started, having the vets already higher up in the game meant that they wouldnt be fighting the new guys so much, but each other.

It has a matchmaking system, unlike Planetside (not saying Planetside needs one or anything, though ).

That being said, I'd be looking for a fresh start in Planetsides case. Although on one hand, I'm sure it could be beneficial to have commanders who already know the game a bit more, the first few days will probably be somewhat chaotic