PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 and the Playstation 4
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-30, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Planetside 2 and the Playstation 4

[] This is a can of beans. They are Spill-o-saurace brand beans and they have an innate desire to be spilled. It's OK to follow their will. No one here will tell SCE where the Playstation 4 release date came from. We promise.

/waveshand

These are the beans you're looking for.

lol...

Seriously though, it was really cute to see Smed burble over with gamer glee starting at 11:40 of when he all but told us that Planetside 2 will be available on the Playstation 4. I think that's great - Smed is a real person just like the rest of, only with the gumption and confidence to actually DO cool stuff like run a game company!

Anyhow, as a person who has chosen PCs over consoles since the original NES in the 1980s (NDS and PSP excluded), I'm really looking forward to making the jump from the PC to the console soon(TM). I may be a " PC hardware enthusiast" (or "geek" as my wife puts it), but consoles have come so far and my life has changed so much in the last decade, that I am really able to see the benefits of a console over a PC for gaming and media.

So I was wondering what kind PC-like tools the PS4 will have, given how much the two worlds have collided over the last decade. I mean, you can hook up a keyboard and mouse to the current generation of consoles and have an Internet / word processing / video playback device that's also a super optimized gaming platform, so I'm thinking that the Playstation 4 will effectively be what I use my PC for 99% of the time any way (playing games, browsing the web, watching videos... yeah, that's 99% right there!).

Of course, I'll always have my PC to do things like video editing, graphics design, etc. but really even many those things could be done quite efficiently on a powerful console and I guess that's really my point in relation to Planetside 2...

Do you think SOE will market using a keyboard and mouse with the console version of Planetside 2?

Given that it would really do away with the need to have separate populations like they have with DCUO, over all that would be best for the long term population of the game. If the Playstation 4 ends up being designed as a home entertainment center for games, movies, media, and the web (which seems very likely to me), it kind of "makes sense" to me for SOE to say to Planetside 2 console players right on the box, "So... uhh... yeah, you're going to want to use a keyboard and mouse if you don't want to get pwn'd!" Heck, SOE could even make some that of fancy customized gamer hardware that could work on the console as well as the PC.

Thoughts? Beans to spill? Should I be working on my wife to wait for a Playstation 4 or should I let her buy the kids a Wii this Christmas like she's thinking of doing? Let me tell ya, that Wii will put the likelihood of me getting a PS4 somewhere between hell freezing over and Charlie Sheen getting his reputation back, so any insights here would be grand.

*note: post... more rambley and... disjointed than... originally... intended...*