PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Balancing Aircraft/AA with Altitude
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-05, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Balancing Aircraft/AA with Altitude

I'm hoping that AA max doesn't exist, at least not in the form it did in PS1

Instead I'd like to see MAXes as customizable weapon platforms where AA is part of a configuration for them, with possibly different AA options (lock-on, flak, etc). Sort of lame being shoehorned into a single role. I'd like to see MAX have the ability to choose their weapon systems and mix & match them. Part-AA, part AV, for example as an outdoor max. Sort of like how BFRs had different weapon options, only on a tiny scale with MAX with more customization options. Some options would cost more resources than others of course. I think jumpjets, shields, lockdown/overdrive, is a good mix of uniqueness. They would of course have some unique weaponry but I hope AA portion has some commonality.

MAX are definitely an area of improvement for PS2. Make give them more customization options, multiple weapon platforms, and tradeoff decisions. Ideally with some more room for skill in there too. I know folks complained they were too easy to play and I don't disagree. More options, more weapons with different characteristics. Adding in some different weapon configurations would go a long way to helping them balance out, especially if the AA options are rather similar. Again, I think AA is something that is too vital ot the balance of the game to have wide variance between the empires. There's room for flavor but it shouldn't be to the point where people hate flying against one empire or prefer flying against another due to differences in AA capabilities.