PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Vanu Mechanized Assault Exo-Suit (MAX) Ideas.
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-20, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Vanu Mechanized Assault Exo-Suit (MAX) Ideas.

I'm OK with Vanu maxes having a dash mechanic, even having that + jumpjets though I want to see some tradeoffs for that huge mobility boost.

The reason I'm OK with it is that TR and NC both have "breacher" MAX units. A horizontal dash gives the VS a different kind of breacher.

NC - regenerative shield to absorb damage, making them tank more as they breach
TR - overdrive to overwhelm the defenders by dishing out more firepower and sort of suppress the defenders
VS - dash mechanic to get in faster so as not to stay vulnerable at a chokepoint as much.

I think that sort of breach mechanic is good. VS sort of lacked one in PS, even though they could come in from places maxes didn't normally come due to the jumpjets (like jumping up onto a wall) when it came to actually breaching I think NC and TR had a bigger advantage there.

However, I do think dashing needs some tradeoffs, like during the dash and for 1-3 seconds after the dash you cannot use weapons. NC have tradeoff for the shield - can't shoot while the shield is up. I believe the TR overdrive mechanic had a side-effect too, didn't it?

Tradeoffs and choices make the game work, so this sort of stuff should be no different.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-08-20 at 08:33 AM.