PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Perma-Silenced from Command and 7 day suspension (LIVID)
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-13, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: Perma-Silenced from Command and 7 day suspension (LIVID)

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I try to watch what I say in public because there are kids out there. (and I really hate the "think of the children" arguement)
I hate the argument too, and I never use it - "online experiences not rated by the ESRB" is my personal retort whenever someone mentions how outraged they are that I said "fuck" when there are kids playing.

Bottom line is, if you let your kids play online video games with people like Goon Squad, 4chan/SA rejects and the like, don't get mad when they are exposed to stuff. You can A) teach them how to use /ignore, B) how to use /filter, C) monitor what they are saying, and D) what constitutes appropriate information to say and to tolerate being said. And possibly E) don't say those words at home. Every time I come across some outraged hippie parent whose kid is playing World of Dorkcraft with them and they get all butt-hurt that someone called their kid a fucking ******, I laugh so hard I nearly wet myself. Their excuse to play WoW when you have the kids is letting them play? That's not parenting and/or babysitting, that's teaching them shitty behavior. I'm single-father to two boys. At no point will they be allowed to get on the internet by themselves, whilst they are in my house, until they are maybe 16. And even then, they will be checked after.

Public chat aside... From a professional standpoint, my responses - per company policy - have been something along the lines of "Well, LegolasGirl184, if you don't want TrollyMcTrollington to ask your 14yr old daughter via tell what kind of panties she has on, you should teach her how to use the ignore feature and you shouldn't have the filter off. Private tells are moderated by the user, via the ignore feature. Please re-appeal if TrollyMcTrollington circumvents the ignore feature by creating a new character."